Should Justin Mapp have played the Brad Davis role instead of Brad Davis?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 31, 2014.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are in the business of bringing in aging outsiders that are on good form who can whip in a good cross, on the last two years I think Justin Mapp was more qualified than Brad Davis. Some of the crosses he has whipped in have been devastating, and watching that highlight he put on a plate to Di Vaio this weekend just leaves me thinking. It is a very trivial point, but I would have liked to have kicked the tires on Mapp given what hes been serving up the past few seasons.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Mapp a righty? Davis is a lefty in a squad with few.

3. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be wrong but Mapp is a lefty who plays as an inverted winger.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just did a cursory search and I believe you're right; Mapp is a lefty.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mapp is definitely faster too.

A poor man's Robben

Tom Collingsworth and deuteronomy repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mapp is left footed and played on the left for most of the career. His renaissance started with his playing mainly in an inverted winger role. And like BD upping the fitness.

7. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I've always thought Mapp had a ton of potential. I wish he had worked on his fitness earlier in his career.

bungadiri repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mappy is only 29; he can still get some games next cycle. Rasta is 31 and Davis is 32.

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Games yes but WC unlikely

10. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Mapp is doing most of his damage from the right for Montreal. He cuts in on his stronger foot and finishes or provides service to a Di Vaio or an on-rushing Felipe.

I like Mapp, his speed is deadly but his lack of a right foot doomed his chances at a longer international career.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    very very poor man's. A pauper's.

superdave repped this.
  12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hints why I said that he should have taken the Brad Davis role :D both of them have a cultured left but I think justin is the better player, and has been the past two seasons

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two kinds of players you take for the Next Twelve. You take guys who are the next best player in a role to the starter (typically center backs will fit into this category. The #2 keeper always does.) And you take guys who can change your team by subbing in (Diskerrud is a perfect example of this...I don't know whether or not he's among the 9 best midfielders, but I know for damn sure he needs to be an option off of the bench.)

Both Davis and Mapp fit more into the "brings something unique to the field" set. So it's an interesting call (if you grant the OP's assertion that Mapp has the quality, which I, personally, am not willing to grant. But I think this is an interesting topic for debate.)

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think Davis has the quality? I'm not arguing either way just wondering.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davis delivers a very nice set piece. I can imagine that we're late in a match, trying to get a goal either to draw or win, and the other team keeps fouling us (I'm looking at you Ghana.) In that specific scenario, he'd be nice to have.

But no, I'm not a real big fan of his talents. Problem is, the US right know is neck deep is decent-to-good central mids and very poor in terms of wide mids. That's why Julian Green might actually be in Brazil for us.

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to finishing off a penalty kick to win a trophy for the U.S.A, Brad Davis is experienced in doing this also.
    Nailed the winner versus Panama in the Gold Cup '05 Cup Final.
    He would be an ideal late game dead ball striker as his set piece deliveries are almost always with pace and some swerve.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mapp's lack of stamina rather than of a right foot doomed his international career. He's only broken over 2000 minutes 3 times in a club career that dates back to '02, and this isn't player who has had major injury issues. It's only since the last year or so he's been going 90 a game consistently.

Tough to say which of Davis and Mapp has the superior international potential as both have limited experience. With the Mexico match Davis can take significant step forward in proving his bonafides

18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davis is a waste of a spot. Zusi can cross, role fulfilled.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi can play one spot well. The right.

Brad can play outside left and can hold the ball very well and link up when deployed in the middle.

As a dead ball hitter there is no one better in our camp.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Robben? I thought he was the Mississippi Messi.

21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mississippi Maradona... he was being called that since way before Messi was on anyone's radar.

22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, but Brad Davis is a homeless man's Eddie Lewis.

23. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 Soccergodlss, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Davis may not be at the level needed right now? I can't say, but Mapp isn't the answer. While I like that Mapp has improved so much recently (I do like his offensive game and the way he plays a traditional winger that drives at players), I think people overestimate the speed and don't take into account the overall creativeness that Davis has. Mapp is also a weaker defender from what I've seen. He's faster but can be lazy. Davis is very good with team shape and commitment even if defense isn't his strongest area. Davis may actually be slightly overrated in the set piece and but is definitely underrated for some of the other things he does in the run of play (at the very least in MLS play).

Some MLS stats to compare the two:

Mapp: 18713 minutes, 22 goals, and 59 assists
    Davis: 23872 minutes, 47 goals, and 102 assists

Davis creates more than just set pieces. He doesn't need that speed because he is shifty his precision on the final ball is much more consistent than many faster players. Give him a little credit, even if you don't think he is at the international level at this point.

24. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Yes.

25. JJxvi

JJxvi Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It'd be nice to have players better than Davis. Mapp isn't.