Should Greenland become a member of UEFA or CONCACAF?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by jagum, Sep 15, 2007.

1. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take your pick:)

2. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Forget that war.

Love both.:(

3. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why do you say so? Why are the Faroe Islands/Luxembourg better off in UEFA than they would be in CONCACAF? Its not like they have improved ever since they joined UEFA. They play better competition only 5-6 times a year. Neither do any of their players play in any other established leagues of Europe. They are all part time players.

When you are Faore Islands, the 'distance' between you and the rest is so large that it really doesn't make much of a difference if you are playing Montenegro or Holland. Though Holland are so much better than Montenegro, both are so distant from Faroe Islands in terms of over all quality, that they seems the similar. :p

I would buy your point in case of nations like Turkey/Armenia/Israel etc who have the minimum necessary population base ( Sorry, I don't want to start another debate on population vs football, got the P word in here to get my point across) and full time professional players who are constantly competing with the rest of Europe. If its part timers we are talking about, who play half a dozen games every year against much better competition, then I doubt it lifts their game.

4. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    The Faroe Islands' league is professional, and their clubs participate in UEFA competitions. They also have several players in Denmark's first division and even one in the Premiership, while Bahamas' best players compete where, in American colleges off the radar (not even DIII.) Only one managed to make it to an eighth division English club. Luxembourg also has players in the Bundesliga, Switzerland, and France's Ligue 2.

Just an educated guess, but the FI's footballing program wouldn't be half of what it was if they weren't able to test their mettle against top competition in addition to having English and Danish scout their players;) Turkey and Israel have much more money/sponsorships behind their programs and have both been to the World Cup (Turkey almost won it.) My other guess is that while Israel may have qualified to more World Cups had they stayed in Asia, they wouldn't be the decent side they are from decades of playing in Europe.

5. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ^^^
    I take back my words. Apparently, as per the wiki link, FI have a player in Manchester City :eek:

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah in fact he was so good that Man City had to make a special request to loan in another player for the last week of the season... to NOT play him.

7. korsarz222

korsarz222 New Member

May 24, 2010
    Do you have any information which countries are seeking membership in FIFA (Except Greenland)?

8. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In fact it would be nice have Greenland in CONMEBOL if only we could drag it to Patagonia so we could always have tons of cold beer at hand for Copa Américas, Sudamericanas & WQS.:D

9. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    ^^^This, even mediocre players are able to get training/playing time at major clubs just because of their proximity to them.

10. tumultkb

tumultkb New Member

May 24, 2010
    Scouser
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    UEFA like the European Union will one day encompass most countries.

11. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the EU exists in 20 years, that is. The wealthy western EU nations may make a push to scale it way back given the problems that poorer nations are causing with the euro.

12. voov-redded

voov-redded Red Card

May 26, 2010
    Geographically it is North American.

13. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Could be a home-and-home against Canada, maybe?

14. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without going back throught his thread, does Greenland even have a national team?

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Greenland is like 3 hot blonde chicks and one happy dude name Olaf.

17. Bmoretiger

Bmoretiger New Member

May 26, 2010
    Baltimore
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they couldn't join FIFA due to the lack of grass.

18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bump. Qaqortoq has a Fieldturf pitch. Hopefully, Nuuk can get one soon. They have a league, but most pitches are sand. Greenland has 57 K in population. They'd get slaughtered in UEFA. They'd fit much better in CONCACAF. Greenlandic is originally an Inuit (native) language. Many Greenlanders would be classed as mestizo by Spanish speakers. Hopefully, they get admitted to FIFA soon.

19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that they'd fit in much better in Concacaf, nations need to be careful what they wish for when choosing their own confederations. Look at Kazakstan, they are whipping boys in UEFA while their neighbors Uzbekistan are becoming an Asian powerhouse and are on the verge of qualifying for their first ever world cup. However, the problem with Greenland is that they are technically an autonomous kingdom of Denmark, their head of state is the queen of Denmark, they are heavily subsidized by Copenhagen and even use Danish Kroner as their currency. So it will be interesting to see how FIFA rule on this one.... I would love to see them in CONCACAF and hope we (the USA) draw them in WCQ :)

20. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It seems like it makes more sense geographically, if they were to join FIFA at any point, to join CONCACAF.

I'll also share this fantastic picture.

[​IMG]

bungadiri and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool I'll take it you've been there.. I'll also share this picture below I took in 2008 from Tasilaq... um, there's some sort of a football match being played lol... One issue that I just considered though... what about the flight situation? If I'm not mistaken, Greenland is well connected (well, by Greenlandic standards lol) to Europe with regular flight from Nuuk to Copenhagen, and Kulusuk on the east with several daily flights to Iceland. However, do they have any flights to North America? I know the Baltimore-Nuuk flights were cancelled due to financial losses, I don't even know if there are any direct flights from Greenland to Canada anymore even. I guess teams would have to come on chartered flight, and fans would be faced with an extremely expensive flight lol. I don't know if FIFA would consider this an issue, but they might.

[​IMG]

bungadiri repped this.
  22. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Nope, never been to Greenland, that pic has just been one of my favorites for a while. It truly is a world game. The most direct route to Greenland from NA is through Reykjavik, I believe.

23. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Those are fantastic photos. Yes they still fly Greenland to Iqaluit Canada. From there you can get to Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto directly. I looked into it this summer and it was a Monday and Friday only schedule during the May to September (IIRC) summer season.

The Greenland - Iqaluit portion is run by a Dash-8 run by Air Greenland. The major selling point was it was going to hook up time wise with flights and against flights south to get into the North American air system.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  24. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    two routes from Canada but none from the USA, makes Uefa a better option, Also more money in Uefa.

25. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Without researching it, North Cyprus, Nepal, South Sudan (process has started), Zanzibar and some crowd on the top of scandanavia covering Northern Norway, Sweden and Finland, Naomi i think they are called. Most are unlikely bar South Sudan.