Shoes...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by OMGFigo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
  2. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMGFigo repped this.
  3. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I have a pair of black adidas Climacool's that I really like. Very light weight. They used to make a fairly different shoe (much more structure to it) under the same name, which I also used to wear. I tend to only wear the Climacool's in warm weather when I am in the center. Team Mundial turfs the rest of the time, unless it's a muddy field, when I wear a pair of Diadora with long studs.

OMGFigo repped this.
  4. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Those look (the black ones) legit.

My current go to shoe:
    http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-GEL-Kayano-Running-Onyx-US/dp/B0058CFOJW/ref=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1341284933&sr=1-6&keywords=asics running shoes

My current AVOID shoe: (until Adidas redesigns so they have ANY mid-sole support):
    Adidas Mundial Team. PSST, hey Adidas: put a running shoe platform underneath this classic and you sell twice as many. It isn't 1970 anymore, they make my feet hurt.

OMGFigo repped this.
  5. usaref

usaref Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a musing regarding shoes and "too much" white: At regionals, a large portion of the referees had shoes that look like this. The instructions given from higher ups to them in regards to shoes were that having some white (especially on the bottom) was good because (no lie here) it made you look faster. After thinking about it, I decided that it made sense and got some.:)

DrAnguish and OMGFigo repped this.
  6. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I have been going back and forth on shoes of late. After a Memorial day tournament adventure, I ditched the mundials and went to New Balance all black running shoes. My feel were screaming after the tournament. I had to do something. They don't have good traction and I can see where I am going to have to go to cleats for wetter ground, but they sure are comfortable.

OMGFigo repped this.
  7. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Used the mundials the most since last fall. My feet were killing me. I have bought a pair of the ASICS 2170 all black for my everyday/lots of games a day kind of shoe. Great support and cushioning without feeling too soft. Plus you can walk away and drive without switching shoes.
    [​IMG]
    I still use my mundial when it's a more formal setting since they have the best referee shoes "look".

OMGFigo repped this.
  8. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Look for the New Balance trail running shoes, that's what I wear, specifically the MT461 model. They're comfortable and come in wide widths.

OMGFigo repped this.
  9. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Shoes just for ARing? Please take your shenanigans to the Referee Nerd thread please sir.

So do you guys in the US have a mandate that your shoes should be predominately black, or do they not give a care at lower levels? Cause between here in Canada and back home in Australia, I've been told all-black is the way to go.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    The official guidance on shoes in the ATR is:

Predominantly is in the eye of the beholder.

OMGFigo repped this.
  12. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If the first word listed on the colour description is "black", I'm taking that to mean predominantly....

OMGFigo repped this.
  14. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    In normal life I am not a creature of fashion. I don't give much thought to how I look.

Refereeing, however, is for some reason different. I would never referee in anything but my Adidas Mundials and three-stripe socks. I have very high arches, but my running inserts make my mundials very comfortable. Also, I wear the older model, which are more cool looking than the current model. I bought a few pairs about five years ago.

I wish I could dress up like those Serie A referees in those bright yellow jerseys. And I also wish the stands at my matches were filled with those gorgeous and stylish Italian women that the cameras zoom in on during halftime of those Juve and Milano matches.

OMGFigo repped this.
  15. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    Hence my question of are the Asics black enough. The Lotto's I had are all-black but I cannot find them anywhere in a size 10. So I was looking for alternatives and I noted that a lot of the Nationals in our SRA wear the Mundial Team or New Balance.

All around, some great advice so far. The bummer for me is fit is a pain in the ass when I have to order online. I've been to all the local stores within 45 miles and no one has anything. I'm much obliged for the advice and recommendations. I have good beta to go on.

16. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    you need to learn the wonder of zappos. you must not be married or have girlfriend, because otherwise you would have a pavlovian aversion to the term, or you would reflexively reach to protect your credit cards whenever you heard the term. the beauty of zappos is free shipping for purchases and returns. that means you can buy 3 or 4 or 20 pairs of shoes, return them all, and pay nothing.

my wife usually buys 3 or 4 or 5 pairs, but only 2 or 3 go back to zappos. see the problem?

the other thing i would say is that if you are looking for an all black turf, but don't want to live through the suffering associated with mundial teams, and don't want running shoes (which to me are anathema on a soccer field, but i know many use them with comfort and success), i have had a great experience with the diadora maracana turf. very ref-looking, and quite comfy. they are kangaroo, so are good in the damp and quite durable.

as a matter of fact, they are on sale at zappos for $75, $15 less than they would be at soccer.com.

http://www.zappos.com/diadora-maracana-tf-black

OMGFigo repped this.
  17. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    You cannot be serious.

18. DWickham

DWickham Member

Dec 26, 2003
    San Diego
    I believe the full statement is look faster ON TV.
    Fewer qualify for the last part.

OMGFigo repped this.
  19. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Any Joe Paterno fans out there?
    I think I remember that one of his theories for having his team always wear black shoes was that it made them look slower on film. That way the other team would be surprised at game time.
    Maybe somebody else can recant the full story???

20. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...evity-but-nothing-trumps-his-coaching-ability

21. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I was wearing a pair of fairly ugly black tennis shoes for a while until a Grade 4 friend who was watching me one day told me that I don't look good in them. He said that touches of white on the shoes make you look faster and lighter. He encouraged me to go to our local Adidas outlet store and pick up a pair of decent running shoes that work for refereeing, which I did.

22. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    I have heard this "white on your shoes makes you look faster" thing going around for the last year or two, haven't really put much thought into it. My thing is, soccer boots are made for the movements of players, which we are not. As a player, I want to feel much more than as a referee. My moments in the middle are smoother and more linear, as well. Finally, since I merely run (and generally try to avoid contact with the ball) I find running shoes to be ideal for most situations.

I love the Nike Frees but also have a few other pairs of Adidas and New Balance shoes to round out the options. My exceptions are: muddy/wet conditions bring out turfs (Adidas or Nike) or studs (Adidas) and when I'm an AR, I don't find running shoes supportive enough for side stepping so its turfs or studs there, too.

I rarely do more than two games in a day, but my feet are much less worse for the wear when I CR in running shoes.

OMGFigo repped this.
  23. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    I tried running shoes once and ended up doing a back ukemi roll (see "aikido") when my feet went out from under me while backpedalling and I hit a patch of dirt.

We have very uneven hardpan with crappy grass and large patches of anything from mud around sprinkler heads to a fine powdery dust on top of the adobe beneath. In the winter e can be working in three inch deep mud on top of the same hardpan so cleats are vital. I immediately went to the Lotta Stadias because of the numerous turf studs. Last thing I want to do again is go down in spectacular fashion.

24. OMGFigo

OMGFigo Member

Jun 19, 2006
    SoCal
    My mate is very utilitarian, pseudo hippie who rarely buys shoes. :D This is of course is good as being a referee doesn't pay very well. I'm grateful for the beta on Zappos!