Shep Messing: "Eddie Johnson Showed Me Nothing Tonight"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DaveBrett, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the guys JK has recently called up as "Forwards". Also, the MNT website currently lists the following guys as Forwards. It seems JK views Demps and Donovan as Forwards.

Agudelo
    Altidore
    Dempsey
    Donovan
    Green
    Johannsson
    Johnson (Eddie)
    Wondolowski

I am hoping if Dono is listed as a Forward on the final WC roster that JK brings 5 or 6.

Interesting that a guy like Green is listed as a Forward and Shea is listed as a Middie.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    After Donovan and Wondo, striker is a big bowl of meh. EJ, Buddle, Boyd, AJ, Agudelo, Altidore; who ever is most competent come camp time.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that's not a complaint about their excitement about the goal. I would love American announcers to have that kind of passion for the games they call (based, I must add, only on that clip--I don't know what kind of dumb shit they did otherwise).

4. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly why Johnson will be going.

5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO this is Klinsmann's depth chart

1. Dempsey (if you count him as a forward)
    2. Jozy
    3. Johannsson
    ----------------------
    4. Wondolowski
    5. EJ
    6. the rest: Agudelo, Boyd, Bruin, Herc, Magee

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    While I concur that is close, it seems JK has given Donovan an awful lot of minutes as striker (as recent as the South Korea game). I could have sworn I heard somewhere that Wondo got the start over Donovan because of practice form right before the game. That suggests that Landon would have partnered up top with Dempsey.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't think of a single match where JK partnered Landon and Clint up top. Did I miss it?

If I'm not mistaken, Landon has only played up top for us when Clint was injured or not there, or it was an all MLS side and Jozy obviously wasn't there. I don't remember a single match where Landon played striker when we had all of Clint/Jozy/AJ.

8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You take your analysis from Shep Messing?!
    I hadn't watched Eddie's games closely, but I was at this game. He did a lot of things very well actually. From what I had read, he hadn't been doing as much off the ball or much holdup play in previous games, but he did that well in the first half. In the second half it was like watching Jozy at Sunderland. DC had next to no possession. EJ isn't used very effectively by DCU. He did have one chance that he should have put on goal, but it wasn't a super-easy chance.
    I don't think he's out of the running at this point. He deserves to be in the 30-man camp and at that point its up to him to show he belongs over Wondo. It should come down to how they play in camp and who else makes the roster. EJ is more versatile (at least in terms of how JK has played him). He'd be an off the bench option. I like him better in that role. I'm not totally for bringing him to Brazil, but I just think unless he really plays poorly the next few games he's a lock for the 30-man camp.

9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. This is why he makes the camp no matter what happens the next few weeks save a complete implosion by EJ.

10. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injury to head, diagnosis, not screwed on straight. In one's own head

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um... Altidore doesn't play for Stoke. And even if he did, what would his injury have to do with Eddie Johnson or Wondo?
    Also, what is "presence"?

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Away to Costa Rica?

raza_rebel repped this.
  13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No, I listen to what he says, and then process it and either agree or disagree with it.

He is far more reliable than a number of posters on Big Soccer.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Seems to be correct. F. Johnson and Zusi started wide.

15. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    #65 nobody, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    If I were picking a guy to play up top in a typical game, I'd take Wondo over EJ fairly easily. However, if I were building a team and I needed a striker on the bench that may or may not get a run out there late, when we need a goal and are fairly desperate, I think Eddie may be our best choice. If we've got ten minutes to play and we're basically just throwing things into the box, the quicker, stronger, better in the air kind of guy sure doesn't sound like a bad option. It's a tough call either way.

jond repped this.
  16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although my first comment was to the original poster I'd still say Shep's analysis was simplistic and about what I'd expect from a guy who just watched EJ play one game when DC had almost no possession and EJ didn't do too much flashy.
    Being far more reliable than a number of bigsoccer posters is a low bar.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I get it, Shep strikes too hard for some people with opinion, but to say he is uninformed is, I believe, not fair to the guy who has been involved int the game for a long time, and not just limited to Red Bull telecasts.

Remember, Shep is (was) also an agent. He can talk up or talk down anyone.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    EJ may have played himself out of the 23 in the matches vs. Scotland and Austria. He showed useless as a LM/LW, and that was the one thing he had going for him.

With Jozy, AJ, Dempsey and Wondo, the complement of forwards is full. EJ's shot was to take the Shea role on the left. Right now, after Green disaster of a debut, I think Brad Davis is the #1 option. Although Donovan may be all the coverage for Fabian Johnson JK is planning to take. We'll see.

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know he was an agent. I do know he loves to talk up or down anyone he chooses. As I said, Eddie hasn't been great so far with DC. As a DC fan, I wish he had been better so far this year, but to say he showed "nothing" on Saturday is a bit unfair and uninformed in this case. Not a surprise from a guy who is a RedBulls announcer and probably hasn't watched more than highlights from Eddie this year to prep for the game. Maybe a bit more if he's good at his job. Eddie's highlights have mostly been misses this year. What he has done off the ball has been weak in some games, adequate in others, and good in others. On Saturday night in the first half he did a lot of good stuff when given the opportunity winning headers and holding the ball up. He had another good header at the back post saved and generally kept the centerbacks busy all night. The fact that DC doesn't use him well (yet and may not ever) is only partly his fault and partly because the team has 7 new players starting and just isn't very good, and partly tactics that haven't used him effectively (blaming the coaching and FO for that one).

Winoman repped this.
  20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It would only be human for Eddie to be pressing at this point. When he scores has first goal, I think he relaxes a bit and probably plays better. He has got to be feeling more pressure than most players in the conversation. It's a vicious cycle though. The longer it takes, the more pressure he feels.

21. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Agudelo needs to be on the plane rather than EJ, who is clumsy and predictable and can't take on anyone. Agudelo is required along with Adu

22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Freddy Adu is as much a professional as I am at the moment.

23. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy Adu to my rec indoor soccer league.

24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

Your defense is going to get shredded.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree with that. If starting a team and needing a starting striker to go 90, it's Wondo, not EJ. But that's not the role either would fill at the international level in Brasil.

The role is likely, coming on 75th-80th min and needing to create something out of nothing. That's where EJ's athleticism, quick runs and ability to use his head come into play. EJ is a better super-sub type IMO and it's not really even that close.

But, that's also why I bring Agudelo into the May camp and see how his form stacks up against others in the friendlies. He also us more built for that super-sub role, can create something out of nothing and is versatile, good 1v1.

Editor In Chimp repped this.