Sheep Draft main Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lanman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    That's what I thought ...

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't know. I knew he was an inside-right when playing for La Maquina.

Socrates was a great player. Great passing range, great at back-heels and rather effortless in his movement.

While I did my original list, I did feel I was going to mark you harshly and after comparing your team to a few others, the ranking I gave you was a bit harsh.

Just out of curiousity, what was your impression of my team? I'm not sure if you made any comments on it. I've only had responses from ASF, Triton and PDG1978.

3. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some little comments...

Excape Goat

---------- Peter SHILTON ----------
    Manfred KALTZ - Jürgen KOHLER - Domingos DA GUIA - José Antonio CAMACHO
    Luis MONTI
    Luís FIGO -------------------- Johan NEESKENS ------------- Dragan DZAJIC
    Hugo SÁNCHEZ ----- Gerd MÜLLER​

comme

---------- Ricardo ZAMORA ----------
    Víctor RODRÍGUEZ ANDRADE José Emilio SANTAMARÍA Karlheinz FÖRSTER Fahrudin JUSUFI
    ---------- József BOZSIK ---------------
    --------------- Alex JAMES ----------
    GARRINCHA --------------- Giuseppe MEAZZA --------------- Alan MORTON
    ---------- Jimmy GREAVES ------​

These two are the best teams. They are the more balanced teams, practacly turning impossible to find any weak spots. I seriously think that they don't have any weak spots.
    Theses teams are the kind of teams that do not need a coach on the bench. The players would understand themselves on field what everyone should have to do and their functions. Just like Brazil from WC'58 and WC'62 (the mentality).

dor02

---------- Neville SOUTHALL ----------
    Gaetano SCIREA
    Tarcisio BURGNICH -- Alessandro COSTACURTA -- Hans-Peter BRIEGEL
    Danny BLANCHFLOWER ----- Billy BREMNER
    Gheorghe HAGI
    Kurt HAMRIN ----- José ALTAFINI ----- Luigi RIVA​

the underdog - This team would be the team that if coached by a motivational guy like Felipão, would go toe-to-toe with any team, even the best two I said before. A well selected team, balanced, with the players in the right positions. This is the kind of team that would play ugly but would win!

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thinking back through the draft, I'm interested to know Billy, who was the player who would've been your first choice in round 1 but wasn't taken by anyone (I remember you saying something like that) - was it Bobby Charlton? If so, ironic, or maybe to be expected, that he ended up in Karloski's side, with all the identical picks you two had too. Also Lamps>Gerrard, who did you originally pick in round 1 before you asked lanman to change it to Drogba, and did he end up being picked by anyone else?

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think it depends if you judge on the basis of the least weak spots (vulnerabilities if you like) or the most star quality and potential (not that those teams haven't got star quality with Garrincha, Meazza, Greaves, Figo and Dzajic especially plus the goalscoring of Muller and all-round play of Neeskens for example). I think the wide spread of voting position pretty much for every team bar Excape Goat's (despite the fairly big gap after the top few teams in the final table most teams were put all over the place in the rankings) shows not only that the teams all had great players but that there were perhaps differing opinions on this issue of no weak spots vs most star quality. I'm sure I favoured the latter when picking my team and tactics(my team might be compared to others quite open, but with more creative/forward thinking players). I personally am one who favoured the latter too when doing my rankings - the best examples are putting Lamps>Gerrard 1st and Karloski 4th as they have an abundance of talent in the final 3rd but would be among the least balanced probably. In reality I think the Champions of tournaments can fit either stereotype, with sometimes eg Brazil in 82 coming up short by losing one game while having the most talent in attack/midfield probably but other times eg Brazil 70 being too good for even more balanced teams in theory to triumph over. There are many more examples of both scenarios I think.

6. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It was Charlton, yes. There were a bunch of others too, but they slip my mind right now; Charlton was the standout though. I was sure one of the United fans (or maybe Comme) would have snatched him up in the first round.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Must have been annoying, especially cos with all the banned players he's got to be considered among the best in th draft IMO. I can't remember the exact details but I saw within the last year or so on the Real Madrid channel, Di Stefano at some Fifa ceremony in Madrid asked who might be the best ever and he mentioned 2 or 3 it 'could be', including Bobby Charlton. Interesting what ASF said about Moreno - I've heard/read somewhere that once when asked if he was the best player ever, Di Stefano probably trying to play himself down, said it could be Pedernera who he played with in Argentina. I don't know whether this was in his playing days (in Argentina or more likely Madrid) or afterwards and I'm not sure where I saw this or heard it now. Pedernera and Moreno weren't mentioned in the Fifa ceremony interview.. I think Pele may have been but he may have been steering clear of the Pele/Maradona argument.
    Back to Billy and the Bobby Charlton comments - yeah I was probably suprised he wasn't taken sooner and also that Cantona remained undrafted and a Chelsea fan got Best, with approaching half the drafters Man U fans is it? EDIT - More like a quarter.

8. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Not only that but I was -this- close to taking both Souness & Dalglish! :D

Sickening though, yeah. I really felt cursed those first 2 rounds (2 sheep)!

9. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would have never heard the end of it from me, Irish United fan. ;)

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well Dalglish at least played for Celtic and not Rangers. Not to mix myself in with the 'Celtic = Ireland' crowd, I've lost my rag more than once over Celtic jerseys outnumbering Irish jerseys at international matches.

11. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, to me, the most clearly weak spots would be the weakest players. All great players selected here, this was a game with real Legends from football, so the person that selected a just "good" player already begins with a weak spot. (Ex: WC'82 were a awesome team, but they had 2 weak spots - Waldir Perez and Serginho Chulapa - I'm not saying that would be the champion if Reinaldo or Careca were the CF and Leão was the GK - but I'm pretty sure Brazil would play a football at the level of 70's Brazil). So, teams with players like Marco MATERAZZI, Darren FLETCHER, Gianluca ZAMBROTTA and Davor SUKER already start behind to me. But, If you think that those names are or were great awesome players, well that's just not my problem.

And the other weak spot would be the player that is out of position or the tactics do not favor the development of the best football from each player. Because the players select rightly to their positions will make the team more harmonic, balanced and also dynamic.

Based on that, I would think that comme and Excape Goat teams were the best.
    Now if they would win a tournament or collect trophies that is impossible to know, and it is a far too subjective exercise to make.

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Virus!
    Really hoping it's some sort of pretend virus but I stupidly clicked on it, it went to my system files screen and countless trojans were apparently detected then I got a message (worringly genuine looking) saying I was still infected. Using Norton 2010 to scan - does anyone one know if that's all that is necessary? So i'd advise everyone not to click on the above link (still can't believe I did actually). Can a moderator look into the user - don't know if they can be traced/prosecuted or what?

13. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    My firewall blocked this site as malicious, so I assume the threat is genuine

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks, so far Norton has detected and resolved 29 threats.:mad:
    Looking at the results - they are low risk tracking cookies so don't know if that is related to the link or not. Well done to you and Billy on the greatest X all time thread.

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    If you are on Norton basic you should switch to AVG to be honest. I don't mean to worry you but I got a trojan about 3 months back and Norton wasn't much use against it (and didn't detect it in time) - had to send it in to get repaired. AVG has spotted a number of things beforehand and instantly isolates them (so they do not spread) and eradicates them

It is free, iirc (the guys in the shop installed it for me, but that's what they said), and can be downloaded off their website: http://free.avg.com

PDG1978 repped this.
  16. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The waste of human life (perfect definition of somebody who would be better off dead, if this is all they have to do on the weekends) has posted it in 8+ different threads so far. Only posts it has made ever on the site, too.

When a mod sees this, it would probably be best to ask for an IP block or whatever with the red card.

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah he's still online now. I wonder if he can be traced or something? How do we get him red-carded? - I think Comme is online as a moderator, I'll send him a message. I just clicked the report post icon on the original message too.

18. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Good shout. Only the supermods, admins and Huss ('da boss man') can ban iirc, but a mod can post it on the 'super-secret mod forum' (which I will probably wind up in a river in the morning for even mentioning! :D) where any of these guys would be able to see it. Far more efficient than trying to PM them individually, basically. I already checked and Dark Knight, Johnny Quest & Huss are all offline at the minute.

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks for the advice Billy. I've got anti-Malwarebytes so might give things a scan with that too. Had a spoof-virus recently that I managed to delete in safe mode but I don't think this is similar to that.

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks both (and jcsd) for the messages and warnings. I've deleted all relevant posts and given sufficient infractions to red card him.

Would rep you both but have to spread it around.

21. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    You or PDG might want to edit his post in response, I am guessing he hit 'quick reply' so the link is still there.

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Clicked quote, but the link was still clickable. Edited to delete link. Good thinking. Have had 2 freezes of my computer so far.

23. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Lesson is never, ever, ever follow links posted by new members, even if they look legit. That's my philosophy anyway, seems to have kept me safe, thus far.

24. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    The 'tinyurl' is also give away as it disguises the actual URL of the link and tbh who's going to post tiny URLs when you can jsut copy and paste the original URL into your post.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's close to how I saw it. those were my three top teams. I thought also from my team's perspective if I had to play everybody those would be the toughest teams to prepare against, because it was difficult to find any weaknesses.