Sheep Draft 2 - Main Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lanman, Mar 14, 2011.

1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Round 2 Pick 2 Results

Akoebar - Pass
    dor02 - Fail (Player already drafted)
    Karloski - Fail (Player already drafted)
    nicephoras - Pass
    PDG1978 - Pass
    Peru FC - Fail (No Pick)
    Triton - Pass

Banned List Additions

None

Final picks to be submitted by Thursday 8pm (GMT)

Please note

Again like in Round 1, Peru FC can make 2 pick next. The first will be rated against the other final pick and his second will count after. Please specify your order of preference in the picks.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I passed? What? That's unpossible!

3. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Coming up:

Round 3a

Select a player who went on to become a manager / head coach either for a club or national team

Round 3b

Select a player who played under the player selected in 3a

Please do not submit any picks until Round 1 is completed

For clarification, the player for Pick 3b must have been at the club while the player for Pick 3a was in charge. He does not necessarily have to have played a game, but must have been aged 17 or over if he did not play. For International coaches, the player must have played at least one game for the pick.

If a player is selected once in 3a and once in 3b he will become banned and you must pick again.

If you are successful with 3a but not 3b, your subsequent picks for 3b must have played under the player drafted.

If you are successful with 3b but not 3a, your subsequent picks for 3a must have managed the player drafted. If you are unable to make subsequent selections for 3a based on the player drafted with 3b (for example the player only ever played for one manager) then you will lose the pick - no sheep will be awarded if you are unable to pick a player.

Any questions, please ask either here or via PM if you want to mention specific players.

4. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Some good options there, and 2002 is rich pickings here as well.

Any further suggestions?

5. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Apologies, I put Wednesday as the deadline for final picks. Have amended to Thursday.

6. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Players who went to become coaches of national teams are not eligible (bold part) ?

This will be a tough draft for sure, btw.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    In terms of the next round, all banned players are still shown after each set of picks? The other question I have is if someone ends up getting a successful 3b pick but not 3a and the reasonable or only options left for 3a are borderline for sheep are we going to be a bit more leniant (I can't give examples obviously but certain players might or might not be allowed as sheep normally)? Cos from what I read above somebody could end up with 10 players going into the last round (although I remember we all managed to get a player last year and surely somebody who needs an 11th player won't be trying Beckenbauer or somebody on his 5th pick in that round). If anyone fails with both 3a and 3b do we all suggest sheep-pairings?

More sheep options for this round:
    Christoph Metzelder (2006)
    Wim Jonk (1998)
    Roland Nilsson (1994)
    Nico Claesen (1986)

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes, I had assumed we'd be including national teams as well, no? That would certainly make a difference to me..........

9. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Yes - national team coaches also count. I'll edit the post to reflect this.

10. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Yes

I'll decide later if that situation does arise depending on the standard of players others have drafted.

If someone only has 10 players and fails to get someone in the final round, they will get a sheep from an earlier round to finish off their team.

Yes.

No objections from me.

11. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Third pick sent..

12. Akoeber

Akoeber Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Tomas Brolin, what an unfortunate fate. Once a great talent and the best swedish player in the early nineties and now nothing but a sheep.
    His extremely unfortunate spell at Leeds United ruined by injuries and lack of moral strength makes him an allright sheep candidate I guess. Still I think his is the best on the list, remember how he sent England out of Euro 1992.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpJaPPm760"]YouTube - Szwecja - Anglia 2-1 Euro 1992 Grupa A (World-Soccer.pl)[/ame]

13. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then, we need to make sure that a player was actually called in for a friendly or full international match and not just "active" during the time of the manager/coach.

I still think that a player should have played a match for a coach - even if he was at the club, he should have been selected once.

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I did consider that too. There are a few interim coach who only coached a few games.

15. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If I got a sheep in this round, I'd take Schillaci. I think Brolin is too good to be a sheep, more so than Ravelli but if he was available, I would take him instead of Schillaci.

16. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Sent my second and third attempt in order.

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I agree about Brolin in terms of looking at the standard of sheep set in last year's draft, but I'm not going to veto him as he's not the sort of player likely to be drafted since as an attacking player there are many who'll be considered better options and generally even at his best he'll be seen as a fair step down from the quality of picks we are making. Schillaci is fine by me too.

18. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toto Schillaci? Brolin? Outrageous!

No, to both!

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'm not sure on Brolin, but Schilacci ended his career with 36 goals in SerieA and 7 goals for Italy (yes, just one more than the amount he scored at the World Cup). One good month aside, he basically screams baaaaaaaaa.

20. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He only played 4 seasons in Italy, and then went to Japan. I think there are worse sheep. I don't think a sheep should have had a good World Cup at all.

If he wants Schillaci or Brolin, he could take them with a third pick.

I don't like this whole bargaining for decent sheep before we take our last picks - just so we have a fall back.

Sheep should be humiliating.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How about Cacau ?

22. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Schillaci played half his career in Serie B/C and had one 'good' season.

For comparison:
    On the same level as Sheep Draft 1 sheep like Fletcher, Di Canio or Campos.
    Jon Dahl Tomasson is also better than Toto.

23. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree with Twenty26Six. In this draft, I think that taking a sheep should be like really losing the round, and taking good players for sheep would make the lost not so uncomfortable for the team.
    Ordinary players should be sheep, guys in the tier of:
    Squillacci - CB - Arsenal
    Materazzi - CB - Inter
    Arthur Numan - CB
    Winston Bogarde - SB
    Sulley Muntari - MF - Sunderland
    Thiago Motta - DH - Inter
    Piennar - OH - Tottenham
    Simão Sabrosa - SH
    Nuno Gomes - CF
    Hakan SUKUR - CF
    And many others...

My point is the sheep should make a difference in the end to the strength, cohesion and game play of the team. Real weak spots when playing with legends of the game.

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yep I think Schillachi is ok for a sheep pick. I've got a feeling Di Canio wasn't a sheep but L>G picked him, but there was Redknapp as another example of a sheep who though he didn't have an Italia '90 moment might've been a better player than Schillaci? He was in your team actually Schwuppe..., well until you replaced him with somebody (* sorry I temporarily posted his name before) in round 10.

As there have been objections to Brolin though, I'd probably agree as peak form IMO is the main consideration with these teams (I know it's imaginary but I tend to assess on how they would do in a tournament or possibly a season of home and away games with the optimum version of all players). Overall I'd probably go with not allowing Brolin as a sheep after all, otherwise it might open the argument "if Brolin was a sheep then so is..."
    To be fair to dor02 he did question it himself.
    Round 3 is a bit concerning so I won't comment too much about sheep. With all the possibilities I've been going through I could see an arguably sheep-quality player being taken early-ish but also borderline sheep being discussed if 3 fails occur especially for 3a. I'm just hoping to avoid that scenario...;)

25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why can't we just take Schillaci and Brolin off the list and end this conversation? There are plenty of players to take their spots.