Sermanni Names 23 Player Algarve Cup Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by ForeverLOST108, Feb 21, 2013.

1. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    So Hope Solo is out another six weeks after wrist surgery, and Jill Loyden is out three months with a broken hand.

That leaves, for now, Barnhardt and Harris as the top two keepers. I wonder who else Tom will invite to camp? I doubt Jane Campbell, the high schooler, is truly ready yet. Naeher, Henninger, Franch?

2. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Looks like it's pouring and supposedly has been all morning.

3. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Gotcha. The USWNT is making a habit out of deploying their talented attacking players as left backs: Chastain, Chalupny, O'Hara, now Mewis. I think Heath even played there a few times under Pia, back in 2008-09.

4. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    According to the announcer, Carli Lloyd has a "non-serious" knock and is unavailable today.

5. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Ouch. Knee injury for Ren Guixin in the first minute. Looks like China will have to sub.

6. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Leroux scores in the 14th minute on the counterattack. Sauerbrunn's third turnover of the day led to a one-on-one opportunity for the Chinese which Barnhart blocked with her chest. Someone, Rapinoe maybe, go the ball to Sydney at midfield who went on a 50-meter run for the goal.

1-0 USA

7. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    The field is in good condition but it's soaking wet. Both teams look like drowned rats. And Christi Mewis makes me feel old. She looks like she just got her learner's permit.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    poured all during the Germany Japan game.
    Dunn is officially out as a news source.

9. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Referee just ripped the Chinese GK a new one for wasting time. Pretty funny.

10. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Ali Krieger punches in a terrific cross from deep in the left corner by Alex Morgan for the second goal. Very nice finish by AK.

2-0 USA

11. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    2:0 from the half German girl.

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Krieger goal :D

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yea for the B team!

14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Following this on Twitter. Sounds like after the defense had a rough start, it has settled in. And Leroux and Morgan doing well as a combo.

The B team? This is the A team.

Namdynamo, BrooklynSoccer and goaleemama repped this.
  15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nope. Outside of Morgan, this is the team that lost the 8x8.:)

Nice start, given the weather is bad.

16. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    HT. 2-0 USA. All in all, the USA looked pretty good. The defense looked a little unsteady early on and Sauerbrunn had several bad giveaways, but they settled down and the USA dominated possession for most of the half. Heath had some nice touches early on but most of the play came up the left through the Mewis-Rapinoe-Leroux axis. Morgan wasn't too involved but had that great cross. Press had good and bad moments. I'd sure like to see her up top more.

The one player who stood out to me this half was Mewis. She had a couple of nervy moments early, but settled down and played well. She's very confident on the ball, takes her time with it and distributes very well. She did get caught inside late in the half but considering she's playing out of position I was impressed.

17. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened with Dunn?

Does anybody feel like they started the game in a 3 4 3? Looks like Mewis drew the short straw when the rain forced them to 4 in the back. I seriously doubt Mewis is being given a whack at defense on purpose. That being said she is playing tough and gritty despite it all. She is having to battle through a lot more than Dunn did last game.

Yael looks fantastic in the middle of the field, but Press looks a little out of her element for the first time playing for the US. Rapinoe is her usual hot and cold self, & Alex Morgan desperately needs a garbage goal to get her going. Sydney looked like she was ready to collapse at the half whistle, still not ready to go full 90, or even 65.

Want to see Horan, probably will get Wambach.

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sermanni said she's a striker, but there's no other way to get 3 forwards on the field unless she is coming from the mid-field. Something she has to play into. They've got 2 years to figure that out.

No way Sydney or Wambach can do it.

19. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mewis started strong in the first few minutes, I think, but she suddenly ended up on the back line. Thats when the nervy moments started for her.

20. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think it's more the elements (mother nature) than players playing out of their element. Rain filled fields aren't good for a speedy game, well footed game.

21. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Morgan could, and right now I would try anything with her to get her out of her funk. All her first touchs have been horrible, this game and last. Even on the cross that led to the goal she strong footed it towards the end line before chasing it down.

22. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    So is Swanson an assistant now? He's on the bench next to Sermanni.

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not the biggest morgan fan, but I think the variable line ups have everyone off. My money is, he'll go direct against Sweden with his best 11 for 90 mins. She'll get her normal direct feeds. I saw Chinese forwards getting behind their backline.

24. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    That was quick. Rapinoe went direct with a free kick past a poorly positioned wall. Engen pressured the closest Chinese defender who punched it into her own net. 3-0.

25. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No Harris? I guess she's the starter against Sweden. 6pts, so they win group, even if they drop the Sweden game?