Sermanni Names 23 Player Algarve Cup Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by ForeverLOST108, Feb 21, 2013.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

2. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to that too. Rogers, after he or Sermanni or both deciding on the GK roster and he telling Harris the bad news, finds out from Hope that she may have surgery for her "long-standing wrist injury that has flared up recently". Was he not in the loop with this issue and with the medical staff?

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As it its been an on and off thing maybe Rogers and Solo just assumed it would go away or maybe Solo didnt mention the flare up until she decided it wasnt going away. For me the question is more why wait until it flared up? As the medical staff knew about this since 2011 why not just have it done in December? If they had she'd likely be back on the pitch by now.

4. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

i'm not sure if this is scrimmage nerves but two very playable balls, ground and over her head, got past harris. like i've said, she is good left-right with waist - chest high balls because she has good reaction time, but she plays small for someone, who is listed at 5'9".

i know the fanboys say it's morgan's pace :rolleyes:, but it's not like she strikes like cheney or nogueira, no where close to their pace.

5. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    There was nothing playable about either of those balls. Both were close range shots and would have required tremendous saves. Cheney or Casey or whoever would have scored from there too as long as they got a decent shot on frame. The problem wasn't Harris' reaction, it's your insane need to discount everything Alex Morgan does. Had another player scored those goals, I doubt you would have even posted.

kolabear repped this.
  6. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I miss something here? The scrim was against Denmark . . . why are we talking about Morgan scoring on an American GK, or is the Denmark GK just happened to be named Harris?

7. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    This is footage from a small-sided scrimmage, not the Denmark training.

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    o_O

i made the same comments about harris when she was WNY's guardian. If A-Rod could frame, she had Harris beat at least 2 times in the champiohship game. Sorry Fanboy, I've been saying this about Harris for over 2 years, and Morgan just exposed it. I don't think Hope Solo has a thing to worry about her like people on this board think. I'm guessing she'll be fighting for the 3rd spot at Guardian.

Oh, Sermanni should cap her in the China or Iceland game. If those teams can mount an attack, given I think they will be in a defensive posture for most of the game, trying to fight off the offensive assault by USWNT, they will beat her with either one of those types of shots, especially high balls coming in at angles, because she doesn't play like she is 5'9".

This is why I added the Morgan comment. The day that Press challenges Morgan, if it happens, as the #1 forward, given she has a history of being front-running, the fanboys/girls will come out the woods. Like i said, they all have different styles, which should compliment each other, if they figure out how to play together in 2013.

And actually Alex played the best on this 8v8 with her making the correct runs, passing perfect balls, using the space, using perfect footwork, and having powerful shots... When press shot did you see a powerful shot! Exactly! She's not a forward for the USWNT I say use her as a outside midfielder :whistling:

9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, how in the heck do you pull a criticism of Alex Morgan out of that? I don't mind it when people gush over certain players (Press as of late), but damnit if it doesn't annoy me to hell and back when somebody goes out of their way to say something negative about a player, especially when they do something good like, I dunno, SCORE A FRIGGIN GOAL.

Alex Morgan is a star and has lots of fans. You don't have to be one if you don't want to.

10. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I caught it late after I posted, got caught by the change of discussion.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The Denmark highlights r up.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Press had a real pretty pass. Didnt see anything that makes me think he's playing around with the formation.

13. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Whether or not Harris becomes our future No. 1 goal keeper is very debatable. However, I do think it's a good idea for the team to cap a goalkeeper under the age of 30 to gain needed experience for the future. I don't want Solo, Barnhart and Lloyden to all retire right after the 2016 Olympics (or perhaps even sooner), and we haven't even capped a younger keeper in tournaments like the Algarve Cup. If Harris performs well against China/Iceland then she hopefully earns some future starts. If she underperforms, then I'd rather have another younger goalkeeper on the team than both Lloyden and Barnhart.

As far as Cheney is concerned she does put a lot of pace on balls when shooting from outside the arc. However, when she's at close range her shots are surprisingly very weak. She lacks the ability to just crank it when another defender is near her.

14. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    You're exactly right about Harris, IMO. I haven't seen anything from any current American GK that makes me think Solo will be replaced in the near future. But almost nobody would consistently make saves on those two shots, including Solo. Morgan didn't expose anything except maybe the USA back line with those two shots.

And that's your problem. You're so concerned with "fanboys" that you've made yourself an anti-fanboy, and it hurts your ability to assess the game. You're usually right, BTW, about things that don't involve Morgan.

Oh, and you use way too many emoticons. Makes you seem like a doofus.

kolabear repped this.
  15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I didn't say, not to cap Harris, don't see her causing Solo any problems, not during the WPS and now. I'm quite glad that Sermanni is capping all the young girls. A lot of players are behind the learning curve because of Pia. Press and Sydney would be starting strikers for any country, but only have 20 caps or whatever between them. Engen is a hell of a lot better than Beuhler and should have replaced her 2 years, but is running around playing with jitters b/c of no experience at the international level. Pia has always been my problem. Girls development, esp the ones with international level talent, got repressed for whatever reason.

Go Sermanni!

But I do miss saying, go MagicDan!

16. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Yea, that was a gorgeous ball. Must-work-but-can't-stop-watching.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I believe Harris and Loyden r the same age. Barnhart and Solo r the same age as well. I personally think the NWSL will go a long way to sorting out the GK pecking order. Despite the opportunity with Solo's injury it's really hard to get a feel for a GK unless they start consistently. I would think by the end of this year Sermanni will have a much better idea what he has between the pipes.

18. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    At this point I'd take anything over Buehler in a major tournament! She could be having a great game, but the concern is always there that she'll make one huge mistake that could potentially cost us the match!

Press definitely seems like a winner. She has that fire in her eyes and plays with a lot of confidence. I'm looking forward to her and Morgan having that Messi/Teves connection for a long time. I like Leroux, but am still waiting for her to make an impact in a huge game. For instance, I believe that she's entered 10 matches where the U.S. was either trailing or tied, but still hasn't scored that decisive goal yet. I don't want to diminish all of her accomplishments, but I do think it's a lot easier to score when the opposing team is down a goal or two and is pushing players upfront to score.

19. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I must be having a brain freeze, I don't know why I thought Lloyden was 30. :oops:

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think Loyden is 28. Its tough with GKs cause they generally play at a high level longer than field players. For me, Id like to see more of a progression in ages. If u make Solo the default number one then Id like the best from Loyden/Harris age group to be number two and take someone like Franch and make her number three. Speaking of Franch, I wonder why she wasnt on the U-23s.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    better to pick Messi with Aguero, Higuaín, DiMaría, Milito, Lavezzi, Verón, or even bring Riquelme back.

You haven't watched La Selección play, have you? Messi and Tevez have no connection. Tevez hasn't even been selected much lately (2011 is the last time I remember).The last time they played significant minutes together was in the 2010 WC with Maradona as coach. it was a disaster.

Messi scored no goals.

22. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Have to disagree with you there.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    It's not the pace, it's the placement. Nobody on the USA team puts a higher percentage of shots on frame.

24. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    That's true. But she does have power. She just doesn't choose to uncork it all the time which might explain why she gets the ball on frame more.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  25. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    She may be skipping La Manga for school reasons and showing up at Three Nations tournament, as Henninger did last year. This is almost midterm/final time - possibly a bad time for seniors.