Serie A is dying...

Discussion in 'Italy' started by canzano55, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Problem is it will never pay off. Which is why no team, except Reggiana who subsequently disappeared from top-tier football, ever built a private stadium from scratch.

2. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That happens in all rich countries.

3. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I will agree with you that I don't think it's the one fit cure for our football problems. I also don't think every team needs a stadium especially a lot of the smaller ones. However there is a core in Serie A that could greatly benefit from a club owned stadium: Milan, Inter, Fiorentina, Roma, Napoli, and Palermo.

Bianconeri13 repped this.
  4. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As you said, nobody is preventing clubs from building private stadiums. Problem is, most of these teams either want already existing infrastructure for free (Milan and Inter, who both want San Siro, or Giuve who were criminally gifted Delle Alpi...) or use the stadium as an excuse to get the green light on massive real estate speculations (Lazio, Fiorentina, Palermo). We also have to keep in mind that, while Italy's real estate market went through the first recession almost unscathed, since last year, as a result of deteriotariting credit conditions and IMO deliberate choices by the government too, the market has started crumbling both in terms of prices and especially in terms of investments...so I'm not sure the like of Della Valle or Lotito are still interested in their original plans.

The truth is that Italian fans are only willing to spend so much for football, and that 'much' isn't enough to justify the huge investment needed to build a stadium from scratch. It's not economically viable. Also Italy isn't anywhere like the USA or Northern Europe in terms of luxury seating, naming sponsorship rights (Giuve's stadium is still nameless, and the only decent sponsorship deal they got came from an in-house company) and entertainment spending.

I agree that Italian stadiums are in need of renovations and better care...but honestly, in terms of public finances, this isn't the right time. And I'm firmly against selling public property, especially in the current economic climate.

5. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It almost as if they were rewarded for all their years of cheating and doping. Now they got gifted a stadium and don't even have the decency to admit what they did. Go around with their stupid writing under the logo pretending there was some mass conspiracy.

In Rome there is a lot of talk that Della Valle wants to dump Fiorentina and purchase into Roma. Either buying out the Americans (who I believe are just a front for the bank) or joining them. It's a rumor that keeps resurfacing, and in many ways it does seem like he's lost all interest in Fiorentina. He's really been gutting the team, both in terms of players and personnel.

I heard the stadium law is getting close to being passed. Do you know if Lotito was successful in his quest to get it so they can reclassify land designations?

6. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think he wants to dump Fiorentina and get out of football altogether. He's not really well-liked by other Italian capitalists. He recently threw a fit in the media over the 'governance' of 2 of Italy's biggest capitalistic strongholds, Generali and Mediobanca.

I doubt it, the lot he owns and where he wanted to build an entire city on is in constant risk of floods and landslides...it's tough to bribe officials over such risky circumstances.

7. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They have always been.

william6 repped this.
  8. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    :thumbsup:

9. Rbz22

Rbz22 Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    i think a big reason why is the mafia. I think they have more to do with things then we think.

william6 repped this.
  10. Rbz22

Rbz22 Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    NEW PSG ANTHEM?

william6 repped this.
  11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve were last in the Champions League 3 years ago, they were knocked in in the group stages in December 2009. So it'll be less than 3 years when they return to it.

There are so many things wrong with the Italian game, from ownership to infrastructure. Dropping in the coefficient standing doesn't help either. Serie A has a long way to become relevant again.

12. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I always saw Jesus as more of a support striker myself.

BobanFan, william6 and Rossonero23 repped this.
  14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a point? I was merely pointing out your innacuracies.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a pretty good article on why Serie A isn't dead. She's languishing, but she ain't dead yet.

Some nice one-liners in there too, like...

william6 repped this.
  16. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if u think about it the veratti deal is saying nothing but GOOD things about serie A. How often you see a big price tag on a 2nd division player? does EPL, La liga, bundesliga produce that kinda talent these days?

william6 repped this.
  17. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    or its because Carlito thinks he is pirlo....

18. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    he was just fixing your "fact" dropping? lol no need to take any offense lol. inter must be the true super club to you right? :)

19. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Insigne will save serie A :cool:

william6 and Bianconeri13 repped this.
  20. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    can we stop saying we lose players to france? we don't lose players to ligue 1, we lose players to psg. if they want to pay 45 m for pastore and 14 for verratti, theres nothing we could do. not only can italian clubs not compete with that, anyone outside of man city, chelsea, barca, rm and russia can't compete with that.

italy surely has problems, and stadiums are a big part, but we are just getting hit harder this summer by what has plagued europe for a few years, the billionaire petro dollar clubs.

look at the bundesliga. they are competitive, many have their own stadium and none (i believe?) has foregin billionaire ownership yet they are thriving. that's the model we need to follow.

also, i have heard that immigration is turning the tide on the birth rate debate. i think its up compared to recent times.

21. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    serie A had a fairly solid champions league. we might get petro poached for a player here or there, but i mean look at what napoli achieved in CL. look at what inter, who had a pathetic season, still got out of the groups. acm did okay and had a hell-ish draw in barca. our league is by no means the luckiest, but the situation isn't as dire in my eyes as everyone else's. we might drop below portugal, but we don't look to be dropping below france anytime soon.

i don't know why we don't have any rich owners, they seem to like our players and coaches (psg and russia), but don't want to invest here.

Il Ciuccio repped this.
  22. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    udinese will be knocked out of cl qualifying. lol.

that leaves milan and RuBe...[​IMG]

william6 repped this.
  23. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ole ole oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'

24. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    they've sold tons of player, yet i still will not give up on them. they almost beat arsenal last year, on a more generous draw i think they could sneak in.

but like i've said before, they are not the problem with serie A they are a success story. if they don't make groups, i blame the clubs who allowed udinese to take 3rd.

william6 repped this.