Send-Off Game vs Canada, June 30 on NBC

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by El Duderino, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20' 1-0 #5 O'Hara drives down box left for a rare left-side attack, crosses high over the 6. #17 Heath is sandwiched by 2 at 3/4 right, doesn't jump. #15 Rapinoe collects wide right, nutmegs #22 Sesselman down to her seat, crosses low to goalmouth, Canada clear. Rapinoe regathers at box top right, pokes to #13 Morgan at arc right. Morgan tries a chip but fouls it high, McLeod has to wait for it to land in her arms.

Rapinoe is in #9 O'Reilly's RM role, but her play is completely different, because USA's possession has been mindbogglingly efficient. Rapinoe rarely has to sprint, hasn't seen a 1-v-1 yet, and is more of a sniper / fox.

USA's midfield hasn't made a bad pass yet. One-way traffic, bing bing and we're probing Canada's box top. What a start.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching it on firstrowsports.eu. Drill down to the game, Link 1, sit through the annoying 30-second ad.

26' 1-0 USA pry ball loose just past midfield left touch. #13 Morgan collects at 40m box left, dribbles past scattered clouds to box top arc right, has #15 Rapinoe drifting wide right, but elects to chip. Blocked wide right, Canada clears.

27' 1-0 O'Hara splatters #22 Sesselman. Sesselman is helped into touch. Canada free kick from 35m box right, one fast bounce at 15m center and it goes way wide left and over. Again, the speed of the field seems to flummox Canada.

3. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    what i miss. I almost got a ticket getting home for match.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28' 1-0 #3(c) Rampone gets caught in possession, #12(c) Sinclair clips her down. Ball pops into a 40-60, #7 Boxx slides through it and whacks #6 Kyle in both shins. Yellow on Boxx, Kyle leaves field for one play. Canada thunderbounce another free kick too long to Solo's 6-left foot. Kyle returns.

29' 1-0 Off that restart, #17 Heath(?) rolls it down box right for #13 Morgan, who stops it alone just on the endline. She creeps in along endline nearly to 6-right, underhits a backpass to #15 Rapinoe -- the opportunity becomes a 1-v-3 swarm. Canada poke ball loose and send Rapinoe down. No call.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Rapinoe making mincemeat of the defenders on her side

6. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    well at least we are not the only team with ugly new uniforms ;). Love solo's black though. She always picks good kit sets.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

USA 1-0 good cross from Rapinoe. Better finish by Moscato

8. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's been incredible.

9. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    enough the fashion talk....what the hell with the long ball? please say we are not going back to that

10. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Rapinoe has Sesselman (and everybody else, really) on toast. I agree with Martino that her endline crosses could be better, however, if she picked up her head.

But regardless, great skill and control by her so far.

11. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This physical game is scaring me I don't want anybody to get hurt before the olympics!

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    40' 1-0 #15 Rapinoe fouled at 20m wide right. She curls outswinging to 5m left post. #18 McLeod comes out to 5m 1/3 right, whiffs utterly with both hands as the ball curls away. It drops untouched to #14 Wambach's foot, not what she expected, volleys high wide left. It actually looked like she wasn't even trying a shot with that foot, and the ball landed on her shoe.

13. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    She has also got some serious work rate out there today. I love nothing more then a player that hustles.

14. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LePeilbet has been horrible..

15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    44' 1-0 #5 O'Hara pushes past box top wide left, circles back in a seam to box top left. Shoots hard right instep, McLeod saves easily at left post low. A bit odd that Rapinoe is so dominating the right corner (she is), and yet we need our LB to get anything on the left side. I think Wambach, Morgan, and Heath are all running a cyclone twist in the center, free to sniff out weak lanes.

16. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    HOLY CRAP....

17. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No surprise there.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Hope saves bacon.

19. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Sweet jesus i though alex had that. and who deflected that shot on our end? was that wambach?

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Sesselman returns bacon

CoachJon repped this.
  21. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy! That was an insane minute.

22. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    ok is it me or do those goddam stripes on our uniforms make distinguishing players really freaking difficult??

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Rapinoe is the blonde who needs a retouch, if that helps.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45+2' (of 3') 1-0 #12(c) Sinclair dribbles from box top right to arc right, clears 1 defender, shoots low (her) left as #1 Solo dives right post. Ball deflects off (#6 LePeilbet or #7 Boxx)'s inner right knee, to the centerline. Solo reverses, dives back to center, palms ball clear 1/2 diameter from the line. Trickles to left post, #6 Kyle sprints in but Solo wins that race with a sprawl.

45+3' (of 3') 1-0 Off the goal kick, USA hoof long and drop it over #13 Morgan's shoulder at 30m arc left, with 1.5 steps past 2 defenders. She dribbles and maintains lead to 12m 6-left, sharp cutback makes them both overshoot like MiGs past Maverick. Morgan steps into a right-foot roundhouse to 2/3 right low, #18 McLeod is nowhere -- #22 Sesselman is alone on her own goalline, clears it sideways while falling backward in. McLeod gathers at her right post.

HT. Replay freeze-frame with cut zoom shows Solo's left arm cradling ball up against the inside of the left post. Plausible that it ever crossed completely over? That'd be a tough call for the AR on far touchline, or even a goalline ref standing behind the endline. Inconclusive.

25. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    hell she is one of the few i recognize on fast glance.