Send-Off Game vs Canada, June 30 on NBC

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by El Duderino, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Ah, you're right it was a broken fibula. It just seems that 90% of severe leg injuries are ligaments these days.

2. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait for this send off game right before the olympics. Break a leg Abby! ;)

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better hope that karma you threw out into the world doesn't return back to you.

The roster is what it is and if you're a fan of the team, time to cheer them & hope for gold. Lots will be different this time next year.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    nah.

we'll just be arguing over the new coach's picks - and later his/her favorites.

Parrothead FC repped this.
  5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nicely played.

6. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the truth. On this particular forum, the first time I actually saw people happy was watching Abby making that last minute header in the US-Brazil game. Then all the criticism, negativity, and hate was temporarily gone. Now it's back again saying Pia Sunhage is the worse US soccer coach ever and everybody thinks her US team wouldn't make it through a group stage or win a single game. However you have to hand it to her, for some strange reason the 08 Beijing Olympics she coached the team to a Gold Medal, and in the Women's World Cup in 2011, she nearly got the US their first World Cup win in 12 years. Call me crazy but I think this stack of players can still win some of the best teams in the world and yes eventually they retire and move on.

I think some people on here want this US team to be a U-23 team only and they believe nobody over the age of 23 is any good.

I think there's a way to be critical and caring for one's national team without trashing the coach and trashing the players and recommending 20 year old players to join the team without having even tested them out in the international game. Sometimes really good college players can surprisingly be mediocre facing the best international talents in the world. Maybe there's a legitimate reason Pia chooses to have the same players instead of developing talent before the London games. I think after the Olympics that's when you start to develop new players right for the next cycle of World Cup and Olympics.

I will be honest though, I don't know the formal soccer terminology but I do wish our players were more precise, it's hard to see them shoot a ball like Carli Lloyd and it just flies over the net or goes too wide. I know it has to do with placement of your body right? I notice also that A-rod can shoot several times and miss the target. I'm sure they are more precise during practice without being under pressure. Abby Wambach isn't really a fast player at all and she couldn't out-run speedier players but I notice if you allow her to have the ball longer than 3 seconds, she'll always shoot on target and I guess that's what makes her dangerous. Also she's physically dangerous. Also I seriously wouldn't try and challenge her in the air, it seems that she's very strong and might harm you if she hits you.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like this might be the wrong place to note that my brother and niece are really excited to attend this game. :)

8. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    sinclair and herdman recognize their olympic challenge:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2012/06/25/sp-olympics-soccer-canada-womens-roster.html

should be a good game tomorrow.

10. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yay Lloyd off the starting lineup finally after thousand years j/k

11. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised by no O'Reilly again.

12. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby-alex
    Cheney
    heath-rapinoe
    Boxx
    Koh-buehler-rampone-lepper :)

Like the lineip up front but buehler and pep need yo be on the bench

13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yaay I'm not late! Scary: The Amazon banner ads are learning my preferences, and show me telescope eyepieces ...

Anthems! same singer for both :)

Canada (John Herdman):
    #7 Wilkinson, #12(c) Sinclair, #17 Timko
    #8 Matheson, #11 Scott, #13 Schmidt
    #22 Sesselman, #6 Kyle, #4 Moscato, #2 Zurrer
    #18 McLeod

14. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ummm.... why is Wambach wearing a number 14 jersey?

15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geico gecko meets the meep meep!
    Wily E. envisioned roast gecko, but then that evil toon dropped a safe on his head. Acme, of course. "What a strange place"

0'12" 0-0 USA start, hoof long, cross to 6-top center and #18 McLeod has to punch clear. That onnggg sound in your dream is actually your crossbar shivering!!

16. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olympics are only 1-18 so she has to take a new number. Buehler took a new one too.

17. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    03' 0-0 USA surges through the centerline to box top arc left, #17 Heath shoots low right post and McLeod smothers it.

04' 0-0 USA chip from center circle back, inside-out to box top left touch for #13 Morgan in a 1-v-3 chase, trailing by a step. Canada tap it out. USA left throw-in, cross cleared over.

05' 0-0 USA left corner, misses #14(?!) Wambach's head at 6-top right and curls over.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    07' 0-0 Canada goal kick bounces like a racquetball, all the way to Solo's box left foot. Field seems a bit tough and springy, could speed up play.

07' 0-0 #14 Wambach steps on #6 Kyle's foot while leaping, Kyle never gets up, sprawls down, undercuts Wambach, who heads the ball, then sprawls backward and whoofs right on Kyle's back. Ref says play on, Kyle is seeing little geckos.

08' 0-0 USA fouled at 25m box right. Gimmicky set-up: USA puts 2 players at 7m, way offside. As Rapinoe approaches, they sprint clear for non-involvement. Rapinoe curls to 5m left post, just over #17 Heath, #14 Wambach lunge-to-knees header driven inches wide left.

19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been the best start I've seen them have in a while.

20. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This match pretty physical so far

21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12' 0-0 Canada are either game-planning to sit back in the heat, or are way out of sync. Average Canada raid is ~5 seconds past midfield, followed by 40-80 seconds of USA ping and 2-4 crosses. USA's back line are up against midfield, pumping balls forward.

O'Hara crosses high from 30m left to 14m arc right. #15 Rapinoe tries a back-head flick under pressure, on-frame but no power and it bounces to McLeod.

13' 0-0 Canada free kick from 25m right touch, Wambach heads clear in her own box. USA sprint-breaks up right touch, #15 Rapinoe walks the tightrope. Crosses through box top right into Wambach's stride (the speed :eek:) , #4 Moscato slip-slide-tackles inside-out at 9m box right and clears it. USA collects, holds patiently, excellent possession ...

22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Abby Wambach wearing #14?
    Canada in blue?
    Strange.
    Great finish by Moscato...

23. Rosytoes86

Rosytoes86 Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Hey, our tv is out! Does anyone know a place online to watch the game!?

Help!

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15' 1-0 #15 Rapinoe crosses inswinging from box top right to 6-top 2/3 right. #4 Moscato doesn't hear McLeod's call-off, faces own right post and sticks a foot out waist-high, not high enough. Off her lacetops, perfectly deflects past McLeod and in at the left post low. Ooog.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Nothing on Justin.

Sorry