Semi-Official 2012 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Seismothusiast, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's amazing that he would reply to something like that. Awesome. :cool:

2. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    looks like we are targeting more than just Tottenham youth. San Jose is after Junior Flores on a GA contract.

source

3. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Flores will enter the MLS draft if he agrees to a GA contract, so San Jose "targeting him" just means they are one of several MLS teams who are interested. MLS does that with all GA players and any other players they sign to contracts before the draft - they want to make sure there is enough interest from teams before signing anyone to a contract.

4. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What's the story with Dawkins. Is he signed up or what?

I don't care what anyone says we aren't getting a wiff of the championship without someone else besides Wondo who can score goals consistently. See 01 - Donovan/DeRo/Cerritos See O3 - Donovan, DeRo, Ching, Ronnie Ekelund, and Arturo Alvarez.*

*;)

5. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    The Quakes are still negotiating with Tottenham for Dawkins and John Bostock. All of the tweets and other updates on this indicate that the team is hopeful both loans will work out, but there are lots of details still being discussed. It's possible that Tottenham is waiting until the close of the transfer window, just in case anyone in England or elsewhere wants to take these guys on loan instead.

As for someone else besides Wondo to score goals, I definitely agree. The good news is that there are some other guys already on the roster who might fill this role - Chavez scored 6 times last year, and Lenhart and Stephenson 5 times. The only Quakes to score more than 6 goals in the past 4 years are Wondo and Ryan Johnson. Adding in Dawkins and perhaps Bostock will be great and should help further, but the team already is in decent shape.

6. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sportsfan-quakes you rock! It must be that the NYRB deal has ended since we have actual dates on both TFC deals and the one we got back from KC. I will make the correction as soon as the roster needs updating.

7. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl on Twitter:

8. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good, now we don't have to worry about finding a new backup for Lenhart. We finally have a pair of competent target men and I'd like to see them both stick around.

9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "All-time favorite MLS player"? Wow, Grant, I don't dislike Gordon, but I'm wondering where he developed that position

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon was a major source for his Beckham book.

11. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon is the only one that comes off in a positive light in The Beckham Experiment, and like three apples said, probably because he was a major source.

12. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Great news on the Gordon signing, I was hoping the team would get him back. I'll go with Mark's assessment of him - he's "surprisingly good". Solid #3 or #4 forward on the team.

I never read the Beckham book, didn't know that Gordon was really in it or involved as a source, that's kind of funny.

Assuming the loans for Dawkins and Bostock really come through, the team is really shaping up offensively and down the middle. Biggest open needs at this point are outside back, central back, and another backup forward. They also need to get a #3 keeper, but that should be pretty easy. It's not like the #3 keeper has to be a potential future star, just someone who can help in practice and be available as the #2 if injury or absences require it.

Hopefully the next news is the confirmation of the Dawkins and Bostock loans!

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear, if you haven't read the book, Gordon wasn't an underhanded, ratting-out-the-nasty-teammate source. Wahl was around the Galaxy for the Beckham's first 1 1/2 years there, and he wanted to get a picture of ordinary low-paid MLS life to contrast with the high-flying Beckham celebrity life, so he got a group of 4 young players that were renting a house together to give him access to their lives. Gordon ended up being the only one of the four that stayed on the team for the whole 1 1/2 years, so he was a big source for on-the-record accounts of what went on with the team, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at his own life.

14. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's sticky this thread since camp opens Monday and there's always trialists and mystery players and such. Since there's no game threads, all of the Jan-Feb action occurs in the roster thread.

Sam Garza is GA so he's on the roster already since he's signed. (I doubt Wondo will give him #8)
    The other two SuperDraft picks would need to be signed and I expect they will be.

I think Attakora is not signed and we have rights but that he won't see him in camp on the 16th unless there's a last minute change.

I suspect Beta and possibly Ring and Morrow graduate to senior roster and make room for Hustedt and Blais on the off-budget roster.

15. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    OK, so adding our draft picks. Sorry for the delay.

I'm also adjusting our Int Slots per sportsfan-quakes' excellent research. The only reason we would have seven is that the Leitch trade has expired since we know the TFC dates.

Also, anyone know if Opara's status has changed? He was GA last year because he had limited time his rookie year. Can this happen for a second time?

Next: The supplemental draft on the 17th. We have picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

1. Jon Busch #18 (GK) {8/18/76} [$151.8K]
    2. Jason Hernandez #21 (D) {8/26/83} [$150K]
    3. Tim Ward #20 (D) {2/28/87} [$60.5k]
    4. Nana Attakora-Gyan #27 (D) (Canada, INT) {3/27/89} [$45K]
    5. Victor Bernardez #?? (D) (Honduras, INT) {5/24/82} [$??]
    6. Ramiro Corrales #12 (D, M) {3/12/77} [$175.7K]
    7. Sam Cronin #4 (M) {12/12/86} [$111.3K]
    {11/14/74}
    8. Joey Gjertsen #17 (M/F) {6/13/82} [$83.7K]
    9. Khari Stephenson #7 (M) (Jamaica, INT} {1/18/81} [$178.4K]
    10. Shea Salinas #?? (M) {6/24/86} [$44K]
    11. Jean Alexandre #?? (M) (Haiti -Green Card Holder) {8/24/86} [$42K]
    12. Marvin Chavez # ?? (M) (Honduras, INT) {11/3/83} [$50K]
    13. Chris Wondolowski #8 (F) {1/28/83} [$175K]
    14. Steven Lenhart #24 (F) {8/28/86} [$??K]
    15. Alan Gordon #16 (F) {10/16/81} [$96.5K]
    16. [Empty]
    17. [Empty]
    18. [Empty]
    19. [Empty]
    20. [Empty]

Off-Budget Roster (min $42K)

21. Brad Ring #5 (M) {04/07/87} [$42K]
    22. Steve Beitashour #33 (M) {02/01/87} [$42k]
    23. Justin Morrow #15 (D) {10/04/87} [$42K]
    24. [Empty]

Off-Budget Roster (min $32.6K, under 25)

25. Ike Opara, #6 (D) {2/21/89} [Generation Adidas - $165.9K]
    26. David Bingham, #1 (GK) {10/19/89} [Generation Adidas - $99.5K]
    27. Anthony Ampaipitakwong #23 (M) {6/14/88} [$32.6K]
    28. Ellis McLoughlin #25 (F/M) {7/8/90} [$32.6K]
    29. Rafael Baca # 30 (M) [Mexico, INT] {9/11/89} [32.6K]
    30. Sam Garza #?? (F/M) {10/17/89} [Generation Adidas - $??]

Players who we had on loan

Simon Dawkins #10 (M/F) (England, INT) {12/1/87} [$60K]
    Maxwell Griffin #14 (F) {9/17/87}

CURRENT SALARY TOTAL for 2011 was roughly $2,264,500. The 2011 cap is $2,675,000. Guaranteed compensation figures provided by the union were used, rounding up to the nearest thousand.

Injured Players

Trialists

Chris Blais (G) {5/16/89}
    Jacob Hustedt (M) {1/30/90}

Allocations, Slots, Rights, & Trades

Allocations
    ***We will receive an allocation for missing the playoffs in 2011.***
    ---* Some allocation money was traded to Vancouver for Salinas.

Trades, waivers, losses
    ---* WEBER, ANDRE LUIZ, PETERSON & SEALY - released after the re-entry draft - 12/12/11
    ---* LEITCH to LA in the re-entry draft - 12/12/11
    ---* CONVEY to KC for an INT slot for 2012 season - 12/2/11.
    ---* BURLING selected in the expansion draft - 11/23/11.
    ---* JASSEH waived - 7/19/11.
    ---* JOHNSON, INT slot & Allocation money to TFC for Attakora,Peterson & Gordon.
    ---* MCDONALD to DCU for allocation money - 6/27/11.
    ---* DONATELLI, EDWARDS & GLEN waived - 3/1/11.
    ---* LENHART acquired from the Crew the 2011 1st round draft pick and allocation money.
    ---* GEOVANNI, GLEN & EDUARDO. Contract options not picked up - 11/24/10.
    ---* CANNON & ALVAREZ. Selected in the Expansion Draft - 11/24/10.

Slots
    ---* DP's - All three slots are empty.
    ---* Two INT slots are open of seven total. (Chavez, Stephenson, Bernardez, Baka & Attakora=INT; one int slot sent to TFC (til 1/1/13),another INT slot traded to TOR for the right to sign Huckerby(til 1/1/14); one acquired for Convey form (KC for the 2012 season).

Rights
    ---* 6th on the allocation list.
    ---* All our 2013 Superdraft picks (6th each round) and an additional 2nd round draft pick (Rapids).
    ---* 6th position with our 2nd-4th round supplemental draft pick (1st was traded to RSL).
    ---* Still hold rights to Clarence Goodson if he returns to MLS.
    ---* We hold the rights to these unsigned MLS draftees: through the 2013 season - Jacob Hustedt and Chris Blais through 2013.
    ---* We hold the rights to these unsigned MLS draftees: through the 2012 season - Philip Tuttle and Victor Cortez through 2012.
    ---* Lottery eligible for the 2012 season (5th highest)​

Staff

* John Doyle (General Manager)
    * Frank Yallop (Head Coach)
    * Ian Russell (Assistant Coach)
    * Mark Watson (Assistant Coach)
    * Ronnie Ekelund (Technical Advisor)
    * Jason Batty (Keeper Coach)
    * Bruce Morgan (Head Trainer)
    * Jose Vega (Equipment Manager)
    * Joe Dincecco (Team Administrator)
    * Bob Alejo (Head Strength & Conditioning Coach)
    * Greg Tella (Strength & Conditioning Coach)
    * Troy Dayak (Youth Academy Coach)​

SSV
    centerlinesoccer

16. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Opara did not graduate. this article lists the graduates from 2011:

With Opara playing less than 500 minutes in 2011, and only being in the league 2 years, it was almost a certainty that he would not graduate. Guys either have to play substantial minutes or be in the league 3-4 years before they typically graduate.

Hopefully Opara WILL graduate Gen Adidas in 2012, as that would mean that he stays healthy and plays a lot!

17. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Also, if you haven't followed some of the guys tweets, it looks like both Ellis McLoughlin and Joey Gjertsen are in camp. Since there has not been any news about them being signed, I wasn't sure. They still may not be signed yet, but they are still around.

And Sam Garza will be #19, based on his twitter account (samgarza19).

18. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  19. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprising, Nana always had a skewed view of his worth...I wish him well.

20. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah.. Attakora sucks.. Just because your one of the best Canadian defenders doesn't mean you're actually GOOD. I hope to not see him in a Quakes jersey this year.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not sure how credible this blog is or not because from what I recall 2 years ago, when Opara accepted the Gen Adidas contract, he only had 2-3 classes to go until he graduated. He kept flying back and forth to school in 2010 to take tests and from what he said at the time, he would finish the rest of his courses online. I don't know how much more he has to go or if he still as a long way to go yet , but I'm thinking he has already graduated by now or he should at least be close to it.

22. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Graduating from school has nothing to do with when a player "graduates" from a Generation Adidas contract. The link I posted is for which players "graduated" from the Gen Adidas program, which means their salaries count against the cap (and teams negotiate new contracts with them).

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I see. Apologies as , I misunderstood your post. Still for 2 years he received $100k a year didn't he?

24. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    I've never seen the exact numbers, but as I understand it, Gen Adidas players do get some tuition financial assistance in addition to their salaries. I don't know how long that lasts or how much it is.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From what I heard, if their careers don't pan out, they will pay for their schooling.