Semi-Official 2012 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Seismothusiast, Oct 29, 2011.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for those articles. I'm reading through them now.

This represents a change in league policy. Back in the day, when the filthy signed El Pedito, his salary was something like $30K, because he was a loan player. And only the $30K impacted the filth's salary cap limit. Many Quakes fans were peed about this, but that's how it was. So that's why I think that it continues to be that way.

So the Rivera Article says:

The "cap" number isn't in fact a cap but actually a budget number based on the base salary of players referred to this season as "on budget". Each team is required to count players occupying rosters spots 1-20 against the budget number.

That's the money shot right there, eh? The cap is not really a cap. Well then, our team could choose to spend more if that's the case, but they are freaking cheap. I mean, is there anyway to rationally argue against that? I don't think so. Ownership could choose to spend more on players than they do.

Sure, there is a limit to what is reasonable, but they could sign one guy for $300K or so, and replace him as necessary to make sure that we have a "Star" on the squad. And they can afford to pay some of the other players in the $150K to $250K range, and indeed, they do.

Part of the problem is that we have spent money foolishly, like on Sealy and ALM. Part of the problem is actual league restrictions on how much we can spend. Part of the problem is that the league does not report loan or transfer fees, therefore we cannot know to even a halfway rational guess how much money Wolff and Fisher spend on the players.

Which make our whole argument over the matter moot.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

2. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    You're misunderstanding that article. The team CANNOT spend more than the cap, unless it's on DPs, or if it's "bought down" with allocation money. The amount of allocation money is controlled by specific rules, the teams can trade allocation $$, but otherwise you have what you have. So the Quakes cannot just choose to spend extra $$ this year over the cap on their 20 "on budget" players. They are limited by the $2.8M cap plus whatever allocation money they have.

For the off budget players, the rules are strict on what they are paid, either $40k or $32k. The team cannot just decide to pay them more.

And as the articles I linked show, any money spent on transfer or loan fees is counted toward the cap, along with the guaranteed salaries of the 20 guys on the "senior roster".

So in summary, the ways "around" the salary cap are:

- sign Gen Adidas players, their salaries don't count against the cap
    - sell players, as teams get a portion of the transfer fees in allocation money to use the following year
    - finish outside of the playoffs, as those teams get more allocation $$ in the following year
    - Sign DPs, particularly the "young DPS", as they count less against the cap than what they are paid. Of course, they still have to contribute an amount equal or more than what their cap hit is ($200K-$335K, depending on their age)
    - exercise smart trades and get more allocation $$
    - exercise smart contracts and get guys on low salaries and lock them in for a few years

That's it, there aren't other ways you can "overspend".

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks, that's consistent with how I thought it probably works.

BTW, when did the "senior" DP cap hit go to $335k? I thought it was $420k at one point? If it's $335k, then technically, if the Quakes would have kept Convey at his same guaranteed salary level ($336k, supposedly), I guess he could have been a DP according to this year's cap rules, though it wouldn't make sense to declare him a DP in order to save $1k against the cap (unless of course they wanted to just feed his ego :) ).

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we didn't actually know any of that, except the fact that Ruiz was on loan and had a low salary figure. There was never any transparent or leaked source telling what amount was counted toward the cap. And there still isn't, since loan fees aren't published.

5. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is teams pay their % share of the total MLS salary pool equal to their team's payroll and that they do NOT "pay MLS the same amount per team."

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure I get that, but we don't know how much allocation money we have. We know that JD and Frank have traded allocation money for players on several occasions. They could have used the allocation ducats to buy down the salaries of some of the players, yes? They could use the allocation ducats to pay for transfer fees, yeah? And in my post I did say that there are some league restrictions.

But the bottom line here is that ownership could decide to sign a DP or two, they could decide to use their cash differently, and when we had Hucks and later Convey making $300K or so, we also had some higher priced players on the squad. So they can fit those players into the cap.

And we could exploit those more, yes? It certainly appears, just looking the available and incomplete numbers, that el-lay, shittle, and NYJ spend way more than the alleged cap, yeah? Sure some of that, most of that is on DP's, but it rather looks like they are over on their other players too, or at least, it seems that way to some.

There are plenty of loopholes as you describe, and the league is happy to bend the rules for some teams. If Lew were willing to spend more, I bet he could figure out a way to do it.

I'm just saying that the numbers are wildly incomplete, and we cannot know what the transfer and loan fees look like.

Even you think that we are spending less on players now than last season. Which would mean that ... we could spend more.

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark

7. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Any sources?

I thought it worked how you describe, until I started reading around. I haven't found any official sources, but several different people on Bigsoccer have stated what I described. That doesn't make it so, but it seems to be a pretty popular theory, multiple agree with it.

Would be nice if MLS published this kind of info more, but they don't.

8. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert Jonas.

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that we are hitting the wall of Arcane MLS Bylaws.

Were I more of a conspiratorialist than I am, I would say that part of the reason that MLS does not clarify their rules and salary limits is that they want the wiggle room to move players or allow some team to treat the salary cap like a cheap hooker. We have seen rule changes regarding whether or not loan fees count toward the salary cap, dispersal drafts, DP on certain teams before there were DP rules, and all sorts of rule bending or on the fly creation. Freddy Adu to DCU when he first joined MLS comes to mind.

It looks like the league has tightened up on these sorts of things, but then looking at some of the articles that sportsfan-quakes posted, it looks like there is enough wiggle room in some of those rules to completely bend the space-time continuum. I guess what I believe depends on how much I've been drinking. Right now, I'm sober, so I think that MLS has gotten better and that if we could see all of the rules, they'd make sense, at least mostly, but sometime this weekend, perhaps late at night, I'll think that the league is totally rigged to favor those teams who are willing to spend the most money, so el-lay, NYJ, and shittle. We'll have to see how much money Sapputo is willing to throw around. It won't be chump change.

Oh, and Portland had the lowest salary total in the league (at least seen through one lens) and they did better than we did, looked more organized than we did, played more attractive soccer than we did, and they are just an expansion team.

GO QUAKES!!
    FIRE FRANK & JD!!

- Mark

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that we are hitting the wall of Arcane MLS Bylaws.

Were I more of a conspiratorialist than I am, I would say that part of the reason that MLS does not clarify their rules and salary limits is that they want the wiggle room to move players or allow some team to treat the salary cap like a cheap hooker. We have seen rule changes regarding whether or not loan fees count toward the salary cap, dispersal drafts, DP on certain teams before there were DP rules, and all sorts of rule bending or on the fly creation. Freddy Adu to DCU when he first joined MLS comes to mind.

It looks like the league has tightened up on these sorts of things, but then looking at some of the articles that sportsfan-quakes posted, it looks like there is enough wiggle room in some of those rules to completely bend the space-time continuum. I guess what I believe depends on how much I've been drinking. Right now, I'm sober, so I think that MLS has gotten better and that if we could see all of the rules, they'd make sense, at least mostly, but sometime this weekend, perhaps late at night, I'll think that the league is totally rigged to favor those teams who are willing to spend the most money, so el-lay, NYJ, and shittle. We'll have to see how much money Sapputo is willing to throw around. It won't be chump change.

Oh, and Portland had the lowest salary total in the league (at least seen through one lens) and they did better than we did, looked more organized than we did, played more attractive soccer than we did, and they are just an expansion team.

GO QUAKES!!
    FIRE FRANK & JD!!

- Mark

11. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

This league needs more transparency! Do you know of any other league that is so secretive about financial information?

12. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Welcome to the Quakes Victor Bernardez. Another good looking signing, though we'll have to wait an see how much he will cost.

Hopefully we'll see more signings like this, along with some loans from Tottenham. If we don't re-sign those free agent (fingers crossed) we still have five senior spots to fill.

1. Jon Busch #18 (GK) {8/18/76} [$151.8K]
    2. *[Free Agent] Andrew Weber #13 (GK) {8/9/83} [Free Agent]
    3. Jason Hernandez #21 (D) {8/26/83} [$150K]
    4. Tim Ward #20 (D) {2/28/87} [$60.5k]
    5. Nana Attakora-Gyan #27 (D) (Canada, INT) {3/27/89} [$45K]
    6. Victor Bernardez #?? (D) (Honduras, INT) {5/24/82} [$??]
    7. Ramiro Corrales #12 (D, M) {3/12/77} [$175.7K]
    8. Sam Cronin #4 (M) {12/12/86} [$111.3K]
    9. *[Free Agent] Andre Luiz Moreira #28 (M/D) (Brazil, not INT) {11/14/74}
    10. Joey Gjertsen #17 (M/F) {6/13/82} [$83.7K]
    11. Khari Stephenson #7 (M) (Jamaica, INT} {1/18/81} [$178.4K]
    12. *[Free Agent] Jacob Peterson #19 (M/F) {1/27/86}
    13. Shea Salinas #?? (M) {6/24/86} [$44K]
    14. Jean Alexandre #?? (M) (Haiti -Green Card Holder) {8/24/86} [$42K]
    15. Marvin Chavez # ?? (M) (Honduras, INT) {11/3/83} [$50K]
    16. *[Free Agent] Scott Sealy #9 (F) (Trinidad, INT) {6/4/81}
    17. Chris Wondolowski #8 (F) {1/28/83} [$175K]
    18. Steven Lenhart #24 (F) {8/28/86} [$??K]
    19. Alan Gordon #16 (F) {10/16/81} [$96.5K]
    20. [Empty]

Off-Budget Roster (min $42K)

21. Brad Ring #5 (M) {04/07/87} [$42K]
    22. Steve Beitashour #33 (M) {02/01/87} [$42k]
    23. Justin Morrow #15 (D) {10/04/87} [$42K]
    24. [Empty]

Off-Budget Roster (min $32.6K, under 25)

25. Ike Opara, #6 (D) {2/21/89} [Generation Adidas - $165.9K]
    26. David Bingham, #1 (GK) {10/19/89} [Generation Adidas - $99.5K]
    27. Anthony Ampaipitakwong #23 (M) {6/14/88} [$32.6K]
    28. Ellis McLoughlin #25 (F/M) {7/8/90} [$32.6K]
    29. Rafael Baca # 30 (M) {9/11/89} [32.6K]
    30. [Empty]

Players who we had on loan

Simon Dawkins #10 (M/F) (England, INT) {12/1/87} [$60K]
    Maxwell Griffin #14 (F) {9/17/87}

CURRENT SALARY TOTAL for 2011 was roughly $2,264,500. The 2011 cap is $2,675,000. Guaranteed compensation figures provided by the union were used, rounding up to the nearest thousand.

Injured Players

Andre Luiz Moreira #28 (M/D) - Out: left knee injury

Trialists

Coming soon

Allocations, Slots, Rights, & Trades

Allocations
    ***We will receive an allocation for missing the playoffs in 2011.***
    ---* Some allocation money was traded to Vancouver for Salinas.

Trades, waivers, losses
    ---* LEITCH to LA in the re-entry draft - 12/12/11
    ---* CONVEY to KC for an INT slot for 2012 season - 12/2/11.
    ---* BURLING selected in the expansion draft - 11/23/11.
    ---* JASSEH waived - 7/19/11.
    ---* JOHNSON, INT slot & Allocation money to TFC for Attakora,Peterson & Gordon.
    ---* MCDONALD to DCU for allocation money - 6/27/11.
    ---* DONATELLI, EDWARDS & GLEN waived - 3/1/11.
    ---* LENHART acquired from the Crew the 2011 1st round draft pick and allocation money.
    ---* GEOVANNI, GLEN & EDUARDO. Contract options not picked up - 11/24/10.
    ---* CANNON & ALVAREZ. Selected in the Expansion Draft - 11/24/10.

Slots
    ---* DP's - All three slots are empty.
    ---* Two INT slots are open. An INT slot was acquired for Convey form KC for the 2012 season. (Chavez, Sealy, Bernardez, Baka & Attakora=INT; one int slot sent to TFC (til 1/1/13),another INT slot traded to TOR for the right to sign Huckerby; one INT slot traded to NYRB in exchange for Leitch; acquired one from Hou for Cochrane).

Rights
    ---* 6th on the allocation list.
    ---* All our 2012 Superdraft picks (6th each round) and an additional 2nd round draft pick (Rapids).
    ---* Our 2nd round supplemental draft pick (1st was traded to RSL).
    ---* Still hold rights to Clarence Goodson if he returns to MLS.
    ---* We hold the rights to these unsigned MLS draftees: through the 2012 season - Philip Tuttle and Victor Cortez through 2012.
    ---* Lottery eligible for the 2012 season (5th highest)​

Staff

* John Doyle (General Manager)
    * Frank Yallop (Head Coach)
    * Ian Russell (Assistant Coach)
    * Mark Watson (Assistant Coach)
    * Ronnie Ekelund (Technical Advisor)
    * Jason Batty (Keeper Coach)
    * Bruce Morgan (Head Trainer)
    * Jose Vega (Equipment Manager)
    * Joe Dincecco (Team Administrator)
    * Bob Alejo (Head Strength & Conditioning Coach)
    * Greg Tella (Strength & Conditioning Coach)
    * Troy Dayak (Youth Academy Coach)​

SSV
    centerlinesoccer

13. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/offseason-transactions/2011-12

IN: M Shea Salinas (11/30: trade from Vancouver); M Jean Alexandre (12/1: trade from RSL); M Marvin Chávez (12/16: trade from FC Dallas); D Víctor Bernárdez (12/21: free/Anderlecht)

OUT: D Bobby Burling (11/23: expansion draft); M/D Bobby Convey (12/2: trade to Sporting KC); D Chris Leitch (12/12: Re-Entry Stage 2/LA Galaxy); M André Luiz (12/12: option declined); M Jacob Peterson (12/12: option declined); F Scott Sealy (12/12: option declined); G Andrew Weber (12/12: option declined)

14. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    You should denote Attakora as unsigned as of now - that has been reported on the MLS and Quakes websites a couple of times. The team was quoted as saying they want to sign him, but it sounds like Attakora wants more money than the team wants to give him. Also, Gordon had not been signed as of a couple of weeks ago, according to various articles. Sounds like the team wants to sign both of them.

Interestingly, there's been no news about Gjertsen signing either. I really hope the Quakes sign Gordon as the highest priority (need an experienced backup for Lenhart), and then if they can get Attakora at a reasonable salary, sign him. But if not, go get a backup defender either in the draft or elsewhere. As for Gjertsen, I think it would be good to get him at a reasonable price, but if they don't sign him, it wouldn't be the worst thing either.

As for the guys who are officially free agents on the list (Weber, Sealy, Andre Luiz, and Peterson) I hope the team doesn't sign any of them for any amount of money, they're just not worth it. Well, I guess if Peterson signs for a much lower salary (in the $60-70k range) he might be worth it, but the other 3, no thanks.

So the team has 20 guys who are likely under contract or invited to come into training camp (I believe the guys on the off budget roster spots, other than GA guys, are not signed to contracts until the season starts....so all of them are not going to be signed until after preseason, unless they get promoted to a senior roster spot):

K: Busch, Bingham
    D: Hernandez, Opara, Bernardez, Ward, Morrow, Corrales, Beitashour
    M: Cronin, Ring, Alexandre, Ampai, Baca, Salinas, Chavez, Stephenson
    F: Lenhart, Wondo, McLoughlin

In addition, they are trying to sign Gordon and Attakora, and perhaps Gjertsen. And they're definitely trying to get Dawkins and one or two other guys from Tottenham. They have 3 picks in the Superdraft, and 2 in the Supplemental draft. So perhaps they end up with 3 or 4 guys from the draft who make the team. They also almost certainly will look for a #3 keeper on the cheap either a college non-draftee or perhaps someone from USL or elsewhere.

So that could give the team 29-30 guys right there. In the end, guys like McLoughlin and Gjertsen may not make the team, depending on the draft picks and potential players from Tottenham or elsewhere.

15. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Also, it would be good to note on the roster list which players are on guaranteed contracts. Those are players who are 24 or older and have at least 3 years of service in MLS. Their contracts become guaranteed when they are signed, so these guys who have had their options picked up and meet this criteria are now on guaranteed contracts. They can be cut, but they still get paid (and their salary hits the salary cap). The guys on the Quakes roster who meet the criteria are:

Busch
    Wondo
    Lenhart
    Gordon (once he signs)
    Hernandez
    Alexandre
    Chavez
    Salinas
    Cronin
    Ward
    Stephenson
    Corrales

16. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Is there any rhyme or reason to the moves we're making? Is it to get to a certain style or formation that we are trying to reach? Perhaps there is but I just don't see it. It seems as if we are constantly moving mediocre players in/out.

Compare our roster to that of say, Seattle or LA. It's like we're on a different planet.

17. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is FY wants to use 4-2-4 in
    The last 20 if we're behind; or
    4-5-1 when we're up in the last 20;
    else 4-3-3 at home or 4-4-2 when we're
    on the road ;)

It's just a guess so don't quote me :eek:

18. tmack

tmack Member

Dec 7, 2007
    santa cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cross four Spurs players off of your wish list, as these guys all went out on loan this morning....

Andros Townsend, winger, Leeds
    David Button, keeper, Doncaster (not really a need anyway)
    Harry Kane, forward, Millwall
    Ryan Mason, forward, Millwall

19. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Salinas and Chavez were brought in to add some speed to the team and some danger on the wings. Bernardez was picked up to add some experience, solidify the back line, and replace Burling. Alexandre doesn't make as much sense since we already have a bunch of CMs, but I figure Frank just couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab a talented player for cheap. Plus, I suspect he's a better defender than any of our other central midfield options.

I'd say so far this off-season we've released a number of players that weren't serving much purpose on the squad and picked up some solid upgrades at positions of need that will contribute next season (and beyond).
    LA's roster sucks. It has for years. They have some great players but the rest of the squad is full of "mediocre" players like Adam Cristman and Jovan Kirovski and they just picked up another nice group of "mediocre" players in Conway, Boyens, Leitch, and Noonan. Arena has put together a team and a system that is very successful, but I don't envy their roster.

20. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So can we confirm how many int'l slots we have open? Your most recent post indicates we had two open... and Bostock would take one. I just want to make sure we have one left for Dawkins.

Why is Sealy listed under int'l slots?

21. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Assume he really meant Stephenson. Since the team has not yet signed Attakora, they are currently using 4 slots for guys who seem to be under contract for 2012: Bernardez, Chavez, Baca, and Stephenson. If the loans for Dawkins and Bostock come through, that would be 6 slots used. And if they sign Attakora, that would be the 7th.

And if the Seismoenthusiast's tracking is correct, that would use up all of our slots, which is a bit concerning as it limits flexibility for additional international signings. Of course, the team could always either trade away one of the current INT players, or trade for an additional INT slot during the year.

Seismo - are you sure that the Huckerby and Leitch trades gave away the slot for that long? I thought most Intnl slot trades were for a limited timeframe, not "forever".

22. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, that should be Stephenson instead of Sealy.

Tracking the INT Slot trades is a pretty tough order since the duration or permanency is often not disclosed. The current MLS Rules do not place a restriction how INT Slots are traded. Of course now you can't trade a DP slot and you used to be able to for up to five years, so the rules may have been different in the past. Here is a pretty interesting article pondering the twelve INT Slots that NYRB currently have.

As far as I can tell the duration of the Leitch trade (if there is one) was never disclosed. We get the one for Huckerby back fort he 2014 season. According to Centerline our two years for Cochrane would already be over. Our trade with TFC last season included an INT Slot too, and that one will come back to us in the 2013 season. That loss has been nullified by our trade with KC for one Int Slot for the season. This means we currently possess six INT Slots. I will update the area.

This means we only have one slot currently available, but we expect two players from Tottenham. Maybe Baca is in the process of getting his Green Card, or JD and FY don't expect Attakora to re-sign.

I will also remove our released players from the roster in anticipation of our loan signing(s).

1. Jon Busch #18 (GK) {8/18/76} [$151.8K]
    2. Jason Hernandez #21 (D) {8/26/83} [$150K]
    3. Tim Ward #20 (D) {2/28/87} [$60.5k]
    4. Nana Attakora-Gyan #27 (D) (Canada, INT) {3/27/89} [$45K]
    5. Victor Bernardez #?? (D) (Honduras, INT) {5/24/82} [$??]
    6. Ramiro Corrales #12 (D, M) {3/12/77} [$175.7K]
    7. Sam Cronin #4 (M) {12/12/86} [$111.3K]
    {11/14/74}
    8. Joey Gjertsen #17 (M/F) {6/13/82} [$83.7K]
    9. Khari Stephenson #7 (M) (Jamaica, INT} {1/18/81} [$178.4K]
    10. Shea Salinas #?? (M) {6/24/86} [$44K]
    11. Jean Alexandre #?? (M) (Haiti -Green Card Holder) {8/24/86} [$42K]
    12. Marvin Chavez # ?? (M) (Honduras, INT) {11/3/83} [$50K]
    13. Chris Wondolowski #8 (F) {1/28/83} [$175K]
    14. Steven Lenhart #24 (F) {8/28/86} [$??K]
    15. Alan Gordon #16 (F) {10/16/81} [$96.5K]
    16. [Empty]
    17. [Empty]
    18. [Empty]
    19. [Empty]
    20. [Empty]

Off-Budget Roster (min $42K)

21. Brad Ring #5 (M) {04/07/87} [$42K]
    22. Steve Beitashour #33 (M) {02/01/87} [$42k]
    23. Justin Morrow #15 (D) {10/04/87} [$42K]
    24. [Empty]

Off-Budget Roster (min $32.6K, under 25)

25. Ike Opara, #6 (D) {2/21/89} [Generation Adidas - $165.9K]
    26. David Bingham, #1 (GK) {10/19/89} [Generation Adidas - $99.5K]
    27. Anthony Ampaipitakwong #23 (M) {6/14/88} [$32.6K]
    28. Ellis McLoughlin #25 (F/M) {7/8/90} [$32.6K]
    29. Rafael Baca # 30 (M) [Mexico, INT] {9/11/89} [32.6K]
    30. [Empty]

Players who we had on loan

Simon Dawkins #10 (M/F) (England, INT) {12/1/87} [$60K]
    Maxwell Griffin #14 (F) {9/17/87}

CURRENT SALARY TOTAL for 2011 was roughly $2,264,500. The 2011 cap is $2,675,000. Guaranteed compensation figures provided by the union were used, rounding up to the nearest thousand.

Injured Players

Trialists

Coming soon

Allocations, Slots, Rights, & Trades

Allocations
    ***We will receive an allocation for missing the playoffs in 2011.***
    ---* Some allocation money was traded to Vancouver for Salinas.

Trades, waivers, losses
    ---* WEBER, ANDRE LUIZ, PETERSON & SEALY - released after the re-entry draft - 12/12/11
    ---* LEITCH to LA in the re-entry draft - 12/12/11
    ---* CONVEY to KC for an INT slot for 2012 season - 12/2/11.
    ---* BURLING selected in the expansion draft - 11/23/11.
    ---* JASSEH waived - 7/19/11.
    ---* JOHNSON, INT slot & Allocation money to TFC for Attakora,Peterson & Gordon.
    ---* MCDONALD to DCU for allocation money - 6/27/11.
    ---* DONATELLI, EDWARDS & GLEN waived - 3/1/11.
    ---* LENHART acquired from the Crew the 2011 1st round draft pick and allocation money.
    ---* GEOVANNI, GLEN & EDUARDO. Contract options not picked up - 11/24/10.
    ---* CANNON & ALVAREZ. Selected in the Expansion Draft - 11/24/10.

Slots
    ---* DP's - All three slots are empty.
    ---* One INT slot is open. (Chavez, Stephenson, Bernardez, Baka & Attakora=INT; one int slot sent to TFC (til 1/1/13),another INT slot traded to TOR for the right to sign Huckerby(til 1/1/14); one INT slot traded to NYRB in exchange for Leitch; one acquired for Convey form (KC for the 2012 season).

Rights
    ---* 6th on the allocation list.
    ---* All our 2012 Superdraft picks (6th each round) and an additional 2nd round draft pick (Rapids).
    ---* Our 2nd round supplemental draft pick (1st was traded to RSL).
    ---* Still hold rights to Clarence Goodson if he returns to MLS.
    ---* We hold the rights to these unsigned MLS draftees: through the 2012 season - Philip Tuttle and Victor Cortez through 2012.
    ---* Lottery eligible for the 2012 season (5th highest)​

Staff

* John Doyle (General Manager)
    * Frank Yallop (Head Coach)
    * Ian Russell (Assistant Coach)
    * Mark Watson (Assistant Coach)
    * Ronnie Ekelund (Technical Advisor)
    * Jason Batty (Keeper Coach)
    * Bruce Morgan (Head Trainer)
    * Jose Vega (Equipment Manager)
    * Joe Dincecco (Team Administrator)
    * Bob Alejo (Head Strength & Conditioning Coach)
    * Greg Tella (Strength & Conditioning Coach)
    * Troy Dayak (Youth Academy Coach)​

SSV
    centerlinesoccer

23. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Thanks for the info. So the Intnl spot traded for Leitch MAY be back with the Quakes this year, right? We just don't know how long that was traded for.

If the Quakes don't have the "Leitch Intl slot" back in 2012, then perhaps this tells us they don't expect to sign Attakora (or Dawkins), otherwise they are short one slot. Or maybe they're working on trading away one of the other Internationals (I could see them trying to trade Khari or Baca if they really need to free up a slot, since the team now seems to have a surplus of central midfielders), or trading a draft pick for an Intl slot...plenty of possibilities.

Or, as you say, one or more of these guys may be close to getting a green card. I wouldn't think Baca would be close, as he just got his papers sorted out early summer last year even to be in the US and work. The guys who have been in the US the longest would be Stephenson and Chavez, so maybe one of them is close.

24. Marinquake

Marinquake Member

May 26, 2011
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have read and recent quotes from FY, Nana is looking for more $ than the team wants to pay. It sounded like the 2 sides had moved on...As such, that would open up another int spot needed for the Dawkins/Bostock moves.

25. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Since others have said that Kaval is responsive to email, I figured I'd send him one and ask him about the International slots. Here's his answer:

So they have enough to sign Dawkins and Bostock and have one more available (for Attakora or someone else).

2 people repped this.