Semi-finals

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Aug 4, 2012.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that Japan-France game one of the ones that happened while Sawa was dealing w/ vertigo? I wasn't following so it's an honest question. I do think the game could go either way.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, she was already ok since months by then.

It has to be said that, if France scored 10 vs Japan's 3, it's also true that France took 3 goals, while Japan just 1. :rolleyes:
    Best attack vs best defense? :D

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Thanks.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France (Bruno Bini): Bussaglia (matches 1, 2, QF) reclaims RM from Abily. Hot-running Thomis (1, 3, QF) over Le Sommer. Abily has started 2 and is a flexible sub (for Soubeyrand once, Bussaglia once). 7 of 11 (in bold) will have started all 5.

11 Marie-Laure Delie
    17 Gaëtane Thiney, 12 Elodie Thomis
    14 Louisa Necib, 6(c) Sandrine Soubeyrand, 15 Élise Bussaglia
    8 Sonia Bompastor, 2 Wendie Renard, 4 Laura Georges, 7 Corine Franco
    18 Sarah Bouhaddi

Japan (Norio Sasaki): Their A+ lineup, used in matches 1, 2, and QF vs Brasil. 4 of 11 will have started all 5.
    11 Shinobu Ohno, 17 Yuki Ogimi
    8(c) Aya Miyama, 6 Mizuho Sakaguchi, 10 Homare Sawa, 9 Nahomi Kawasumi
    5 Aya Sameshima, 3 Azusa Iwashimizu, 4 Saki Kumagai, 2 Yukari Kinga
    1 Miho Fukumoto

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been interesting to me all along that Camille Abily is not a regular starter for Bini. I think she's a wonderful player but it's not like I've been able to see her regularly the last couple years since she returned to France. When France , however, piled up the goals in the 2nd half against North Korea, Abily was a big part of that, getting the plays going that sprung Thomis.

Trivia: Abily and Miyama were teammates for the LA Sol in WPS season one.

And Bompastor and Sawa were teammates, too, weren't they, for the Washington Freedom?

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whimsical: London's committee subjects its world guests to a lot of cheesy Brit pop, e.g. "Chariots of Fire" for the gymnastics medal ceremony walk-of-honor muzak.

Charming: Fans (and players) of every country know "We Will Rock You / We Are the Champions". The entire indoor volleyball stadium sang the 2nd part (in tune, no less). Then Chinese, Russian, Brasilian, and neutral fans were doing the stomp-stomp-clap, as Brasil's WVB did a herky-jerky dance with exactly that cadence. It's a global meme :notworthy:

We shall have our revenge. Next time USA hosts, we'll pipe "It's My Life" into GB's dorm rooms.

7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Zealand gave everybody a tough time because they're a competitive side. They gave Brazil and GB all kinds of trouble, losing only to late goals in both games.

Riley is a great player but she alone can't stifle the US as if the US was as one-dimensional a team as some people insist. Riley was beaten by Rapinoe on that low cross that both Morgan and Wambach missed right in front of goal.

One great thing about Riley though is her stamina. I remember a remarkable 50 yard trackback of hers in the 87th minute of a WPS game.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Soubeyrand gets the start. Will she be able to go all 90 or is that a sub that Bini already knows he'll need to make? And every time I've seen Thomis (admittedly not that many times) for Lyon & France she's flattered but deceived (meaning her touch or shot decision making betrayed her in the end).

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    01' 0-0 Probing. France hoof too long down the right, clear into midfield left touch.
    02' 0-0 Japan free kick, into box, #4 George clears. My NBC audio feed is ~30 seconds ahead of the video ...

10. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kolabear, watching the WWC and this Olympic tournament reminds me how lucky we had it when we had the WPS and in particular the Los Angeles Sol, all these wonderful players were on that team.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    06' 0-0 France slide at midfield and chip to #11 Delie in a 1-v-2 at 35m center. She runs diagonally away from both of them, Kinga slide-tackles clear at her box top right. Was Delie-vs-6 for a bit there ...

07' 0-0 #14 Necib shoots from 25m arc top, low bouncer through traffic to left post low. Fukumoto gives up a big rebound to 6-top (her) right, has to scramble to fall on it before Delie arrives.

12. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Necib should have done more with that!

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know! Choked it there.

14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11' 0-0 #12 Thomis cuts back to 8m wide right, crosses left foot toward Delie. Japan blocks at 5m right post. Rebounds to #14 Necib standing alone at 9m 6-right!! She settles, doesn't one-touch, holds in front of 2 -- too long, does nothing, they swarm her and clear. Gun-shy!!

15. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who do you think is looking like the better side so far?

16. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Japan (slightly)

17. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Necib spent about 5 seconds all alone with the ball in the box pondering what she could do with the ball that was sufficiently pretty. Japan's defense finally terminated her ruminations.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13' 0-0 #11 Ohno fouled by #2 Renard just past midfield circle right. Free kick to box top, cleared.

14' 0-0 France counter, pas diagonally to #17 Thiney alone at 25m box left, as Japan sag to their box top. Pass into box top center, poked away.

15' 0-0 France plays quickly up the right, to Thomis at 25m box right. France's pace are causing Japan to scramble and drop back a bit. Long shot rolls to right post low, Fukumoto scoops it up.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That yellow card tackle made me cringe.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17' 0-0 #12 Thomis runs from midfield box right to 25m, 2 defenders backpedal and neither want to challenge her. She squares to Soubeyrand(?) at box arc top center, slightly behind. Soubeyrand half-spins, one-touch flick through box arc left, misses across wide-open #17 Thiney. Thiney must bend her run outward to retrieve. Crosses to box top center, long shot floats to Fukumoto. Japan are really not-playing Thomis in a curious way.

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    tap. she didn't even come in hard. her timing was off which made her hit the calf.

22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21' 0-0 Miyama dribbles at 30m center, Bussaglia drops off and does not challenge her. Miyama circles patiently, plays back. Japan finally lose it long.

22' 0-0 Japan show off a long midfield ping sequence. That's better.
    23' 0-0 France defend well, Japan switch into right corner and lose it over.

23. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This looks like maybe we will have our first penalty shootout for the women's Olympic game

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Studs.

25. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Pretty even now