PBP: Semi-final: Portugal vs Spain - June 27 [R]

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by JaredSS07, Jun 27, 2012.

1. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's funny Spain get called boring and yet the team that just sits back every game never gets mentioned.

If a team actually tried to build up an attack and actually took it to Spain it'd be more exciting. Instead every team just tries to play with most of their team infront of their box, and counter attack with two or three players down the wing.

I will be disappointed if Germany do the same if they get through. As a football fan in general, I'd love Germany to finally have the balls to take it to Spain.

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Germany really don't have the players to play sitting back. They are a good counter team yes but to sit deep in your own half for most of the game is asking for a lot of trouble. I expect Germany, if they make it to the final, to try and attack Spain. I'm not sure if they will try to pressure all over the field like Portugal did in the first half today though.

3. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Yeah, the blame always seems to go toward Spain, instead of their opponents for not having the balls to pressure them.

This match actually came the closest in a long time to having an opponent taking it to Spain. Portugal really rattled them, and to top it off Spain wasn't playing as precise as they usually do (I'd actually like to see Cesc and Navas in from the beginning, since I don't think Silva matches up well with this style of play).

4. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What can make games feel boring is that Spain physically slow the tempo of games right down, yet don't create many chances themselves. So we end up with low scoring slow games.

Barcelona are more exciting to watch. They have flying wing backs like Dani Alves and Messi attacking defences.

5. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Messi, and Alves, plus Guardiola will actually use some wingers with pace like Pedro.

thepremierleague repped this.
  6. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sure.

Barcelona are ALMOST the perfect mix of South American speed and wingers with the Spanish slow passing.

For some reason Pedro isn't used like this for Spain. Mata maybe could add pace too.

Spain rarely seem to attack the wings.

7. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that problem is Del Bosque, who as you can tell everyone seems to love his tactics ;)

I really do hope Guardiola replaces him after 2014.

8. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He seems allergic to ever having Fabregas and Torres on the same pitch. It must bring him out in a rash.

9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The best takers always go first. Wait until the last it might be over before they get to take one.

Everyone knows this who has been around the game. Which leads me to believe he was either sore or he did not want to take his pk.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Exactly. The disconnect Silva-Iniesta was because both were playing very different styles. The Spanish style is about finding the right moment and the right space. So Iniesta got the ball, Silva ran, and when Iniesta made the pass, Silva wasn't there.

Silva is using more the English style of possession, where speed is more important than analysis: he was expecting a quick 1-2-1 in order to penetrate the defense, like ManCity does. Instead, he ran expecting the pass and put himself in a position where Iniesta couldn't see him well. The Spanish philosophy is to avoid losing the ball, hence a tentative pass to a player you can't see is out of the question.

11. Ronaldo2012

Ronaldo2012 New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Ronaldo didnt want to step up because of the ghost of 2008 champions league final. He shat himself.

12. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Gerd Müller used to go last and he never missed. So there goes that theory.

CR can take PKs. Hell, he scored plenty for Real from the spot. No knows right now why he waited, but you can be sure some excuse will,be made as to why. Strategy-wise he should have gone first...or at least sooner.

13. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Perhaps Spain was off their game today BECAUSE of the Portugese tactics.

And Germany has a defense to sit back. Who do you think created the modern defense like that. Hell, that's all team would do during the 70 s and 80s is complain how defensive Germany was. This team is fully capable of doing the same.

14. Spain feel the pain

Spain feel the pain New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    So after reading all the disgruntled comments I suppose the fact that almost every team in the comp.. thus far has won by a goal and spain won 4-0 against ireland granted its ireland is also a scrape win in your books.. and my question is this they play possession football why do you think they can? come get the ball... they pass in such close proximity and the other teams still have a difficulty getting it.. and they create a fair share of chances their finishing may not be tip top but the chances are there and the flair have you even been watching these back heels and one touches? have you even been watching these games?Spains defence is even taking a chance by playing the fullbacks soo high and wide but yet when they tackle back they come out on top.. so what confuses me is what is NOT good about what they do? is it because they show all your favourite players flaws like C.Ronaldo? Nani? Balotelli? Nasri? and Brazil is famous for NOT playing direct and passing the ball so what the hell are you even talking about..... then you quote club football dude club guys play with eachother for months and months in a year and sometimes for years on end... so dont quote me barcelona my friend cos its not relevent in this situation at all, show me a country that can play like a top notch club and we'll talk.

15. Spain feel the pain

Spain feel the pain New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    And now to come to the defence of the Portugese.. they played a brilliant game they closed the spanish down and went in hard on them which is honestly the only way... they had bad luck on the finish but that goes for spain too iniesta should have buried that front of goal try but he didnt.. in my view this game was effing brilliant apart for the sad fact that it had to end with a penalty shootout which is always a toss up.... C.Ronaldo was doing nothing.... and when he managed to do something he messed it... almost seemed that portugal was waiting for him to do something and when he didnt do anything but dive for a freekick some of his teammates did their best and they did rock the spanish very nicely... I enjoyed the game very much except the penaties... Spain needs to learn from this DONT leave out a striker when facing a team that has such a great midfield and defence like Portugal. I would have played Minimum Llorente... bare minimum.

16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I said earlier in anoither thread. I believe in the "Moneyball"(Brad Pitt's movie). If you don't start any natural goal-scorer, you are not going to score a lot of goals. Cesu, Silva, Navas, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, etc never scored that many goals for both club and country. They have been controlling the procession liked no one in history. When it comes to shooting the last shot, they could not score and the lack of goal-scoring stats by individual players seem real. Last night, it showed that Negredo did not fit into the passing game. They needed someone liked Villa or Messi.

17. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Portugal played very well by limiting Spain but CR7 and Nani were limited by Spain. It was a stalemate but Portugal needs a good striker because they cannot depend in their wingbacks because they will not go far without a true good forward/striker. Spain looked vulnerable and mortal. They can be beat but Portugal could not finish. This match was so boring that a El Salvador vs Jamaica match at the Gold cup is more interesting. Anyway when Brazil played Spain at the U-20 world cup last year Brazil kept attacking and scoring. until it reached 2-2. Spain dominated possession but Brazil kept attacking and did not mind Spain. the match went to penalties but Brazil had chances to score more. So to beat Spain you need to equal them in firepower and talent. Tiki-taka is really turning to a snooze fest I guess it is boring to me since I am used to South American speed,dribble and pace.

18. KaNgArOoS

KaNgArOoS Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Goodison Park
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That is still no excuse for passing the ball behind your half for half the game. Portugal forced them to play forward, yet over half the time Spain was just passing back and forth in the back which deserved the boos they got from the fans who payed good money to watch a football match, not monkey in the middle. Even more disturbing was when DB removed a striker for a midfielder and midfielder for defender. It is as though he gets pleasure from making people fall asleep.

The Italians and Portuguese could beat Spain, and if Germany presses, no way Spain is winning the Euros unless it goes to PK's and they get a strike of luck.

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    I don't know what you're trying to argue. They play that way because it's effective. Portugal didn't have many chances, either, and the few of those came the moment Spain threw itself forward too much, which is exactly what you're saying they should do more often.

They play that way because other teams are either too scared or lacking the talent to force them to do otherwise. Those 3 teams could beat Spain, certainly. But it's absolutely idiotic to argue that there's no way Spain will win unless they're lucky. I guess that's the same "luck" that won them the last Euro and the World Cup.

And quite frankly, from what I've seen I really think Portugal's defensive form has been better than Germany's and Italy's over the length of the tournament (though I only mention Italy because I don't think they faced as many strong attacking teams as Portugal did).

orcrist and jerrito repped this.
  20. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    brazils goal was offside, spain should of won that match 2-1, spain outplayed brazil in that final.

21. Cherusker

Cherusker New Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Of course Spain's success is impressive. They keep the ball because of great technical and tactical skills and they keep winning. However, for me it just destroys much of the joy of football. For me watching Spain play is just as exciting as to see paint dry. This is why I hope whoever plays them in the final they put an end to their style of football. Heck, who would have thought that even Italy's style is way more exciting to watch? Playing without attackers. What is next? 11 goalies? Thank you Spain for boring me to death - again.

22. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wonder how Mexico would've matched up against Spain in the semi instead of Brazil.

23. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    i don't remember the mexico games although i think i watched their last 2 during that tournament.

24. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Oh my!
    A Mexico-Spain game? that would be the death of football...
    they would need to add more goals on each side of the field if you want to see any scoring

pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass,
    pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass,
    repeat
    repeat
    repeat
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z z z z z z z

25. ganzetto

ganzetto New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What football fan does not like to see their team dominate? But keep in mind that there are always opponents with their motivations and their abilities. That's why I always felt strange to make predictions absolutist and give up for lost Portugal. And yesterday we saw! Spain is like Barcelona. If it is not backed by a physical condition, then the continuous little passes "TITI-TAKA STYLE" midfielders become boring and annoying and serve no purpose. This is the risk of this tactic, and the Chelsea teaches! From Italian I hope that tonight Germany goes on pitch with a hint of arrogance, a bit like Spain last night. After all the German players are young and young people, you know, are brash and disrespectful of all danger. It 's the only key to beating them, because we're a little down physically. For the final .... 60% see it on TV [​IMG]