Sela Sport

Discussion in 'Saudi Arabia' started by NDfootballer7, Nov 8, 2011.

1. NDfootballer7

NDfootballer7 Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm a cross poster from over in the USA boards, and I was wondering if anyone here had any info on the Saudi Arabian sports marketing group, Sela Sport, run by CEO Ahmed Mohtaseb.

They recently purchased the assets to the New York Cosmos LLC, the group which owns to the brand/naming rights for the potential 2nd MLS franchise in New York City. The previous co-owner was Paul Kemsley, a former Vice Chairman of Tottenham Hotspur, who has relaunched the brand with a testimonial match against Man-U in August for Paul Scholes, alongside the merchandise of the Cosmos you can buy online.

I was hoping anyone here would know more about Sela. Any information on their capabilities in team administration, ownership and development? Compared to Prince Faisal's F6 Sports Group, does anyone know how much capital does Sela have to invest (hundreds of millions, or billions)? The current CEO, Ahmed Mohtaseb, seems like a very young administrator who has some ambition for the Saudi league and national team in regards to marketing them, but what about bringing back the Cosmos to life in MLS? Will they build the brand into a franchise or will they sell it to another investment group?

I appreciate any help here. Mr. Mohtaseb even has his own Twitter page, but seeing as how I can't read Arabic scripture, any translation is much appreciated.

http://twitter.com/#!/aymohtaseb

Thanks!

2. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    You've answered your own question.
    Sela is a sports marketing company, they have no background in running a football club.
    As for how much capital they'd invest, who knows. He clearly has some serious backers since Sela has completely monopolised the Saudi market.
    As for the twitter, there's nothing interesting there for you as it's clearly a personal account rather than corporate communications.
    This is their website: http://www.sela-sports.com/EN/Home