Security for Reagan's funeral?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dfb547490, Jun 7, 2004.

1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Granted it would have to be planned and organized on very short notice, but Reagan's state funeral would have to be a very inviting target for AQ terrorists. In addition to every living US President and virtually every top US government official in all 3 branches, dozens of current and former world heads of state will most likely be present, including Blair, Schroeder, Thatcher, Chirac, Berlusconi, Koizumi, Howard, Kwasniewski, Gorbachev, Havel, Mitterand, Kohl, Martin, and possibly Putin, Sharon, Mubarak, and Prince Abdullah. Not to mention all the military brass and diplomats. No doubt, all these VIPs will have their own private security details, but is anyone else worried that we might let our guard down in terms of securing the event as a whole?

Then again, if I've thought about it, I'm sure the Secret Service has as well so we probably have little to worry about--but it's still worth considering. AQ could strike a major blow to the entire world if they were able to bomb the funeral.

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i seriously doubt they could work this on less than 3 days notice - grounds were probably sealed before he actually passed... at least i'd hope they would have planned in advance for this eventuality

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a political version of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. Now if someone can just get their hands on some anti-matter.....

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .... and target your house then we'd be all set!

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Don't they plan for presidential funerals well in advance? (at least for former presidents - funeral plans for JFK were made in the days following the assasination)

And given Reagan's illness, I'm sure they had most of it coordinated already.

6. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    A major blow to the entire world?

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    :)

8. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Bin Laden and republicans were best buddies in 1980's afghanistan, weren't they?

I would expect a videotape of Osama's condolences instead of a bomb for this one...

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Anybody else getting that "Let's demand martial law now!" aura from Alex?

11. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    I spoke to Jesus half an hour ago: he's on the case.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yeah... i'm surprised lifetime would show 'the siege'