Second Viewing: US vs. Honduras

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nimbus2000, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Another reason why making all your subs before your rival has made any is quite thoughtless.

deuteronomy, Berks and xbhaskarx repped this.
  2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yup. That was pretty effin' dumb and that shows. as I said in the main coaching thread, the lack of JK's and MV's general ability to analyze and respond to unfolding developments that no level of soccer knowledge can cover up.

Or Maradona and Pele would have been good coaches.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He was trying to be "proactive" instead of "reactive," I guess. [​IMG]

4. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    All that talk about the humidity in SPS:

#5 Víctor Bernárdez, SJ
    Maynor Figueroa, Wigan
    Juan Carlos García, Olimpia
    Arnold Peralta, Vida
    Roger Espinoza, Wigan
    Oscar Boniek García, Houston
    Luis Garrido, Red Star Belgrade
    Mario Martínez, Seattle
    Jerry Bengtson, NE Revs
    Carlo Costly, Veria

[​IMG]

5. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luis Garrido joined Red Star about 2 weeks ago from Olimpia. And the MLS guys, regardless of their home city, get a pretty stiff dose of heat through the course of a summer MLS season.

Not that I agree with your premise anyway. These guys all grew up and became footballers in that climate (except Espinoza).

cleansheetbsc and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  6. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Any tech savvy folks know where to find an online replay? Or do such things only work live....

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    There used to be some files available somewhere.

Edit. Th word "torrent" was blanked out? Why is that?

8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RangerC, excellent post. Great read.

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hmm. Too be more precise, heat acclimatization needs 1 to 2 weeks. All Honduran players not based in Europe have been together since early January. European based players arrived Feb 1. To my eye, the European based players in the USMNT were not playing to their usual standard. I believe they were affected by the heat but I can't be sure that was the only problem.

So will we see this problem in the rest of the cycle? Probably not. The current temperature difference between Germany and Honduras is 40 degrees which is pretty extreme. Mexico City in a March night is not hot because of the high altitude. Jamaica and Panama in summer is only 15 degrees warmer than Germany. Costa Rica in September is also only 15 degrees warmer than Germany.

10. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 15 degrees?! There's a pretty vast difference in comfort level between 75° and 90°.

WrmBrnr, deuteronomy and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    On double checking, our only summer game on the road is Jamaica. So far all games not involving Honduras have been scheduled for the evening. I don't think it'll be too bad.

12. Fajkus Rules

Fajkus Rules Member

Mar 10, 2000
    Lake Zurich, IL
    The highlight clip in the earlier post reveals another disturbing trend. The US midfield applied little pressure to the ball, allowing ball possession without serious challenge way too far into our defensive zone. Where/who is the Buddy Ryan of soccer? The US needs to find him quickly.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  13. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    I've made around 80 stills last weekend, many showing the lack of pressure to the ball. I might turn 'em into another slideshow. It's just a lot of work.

deuteronomy and Mr Martin repped this.
  14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Throw in some hot sun. I wonder if any other team will opt to play their match during the day?

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So far only Honduras has done that. This is conscious gamesmanship on their part since all qualifiers will be on Tuesdays and Fridays.

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Klinsmann didn't realize that he can't expect the same intensity and movement from his midfielders when playing in humid 90 deg weather especially just after significant travel. He was probably shocked that his positive spirit and encouraging words didn't energize his players tired legs.

deuteronomy repped this.
  17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I would call it gamesmanship but it was well done on their part to help tilt things in their favor just as the US tried to find home venues that favor them. I'm sure there was concern in Honduras soccer circles at first on whether they would get enough fans for a mid-week 3PM game. No problem, a national holiday was called for match day. Now that is a soccer culture!

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  18. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Honduras scheduled their Mexico game for the same time (3pm) and there were reports that Mexican federation filed protest with FIFA and/or CONCACAF.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  19. Fajkus Rules

Fajkus Rules Member

Mar 10, 2000
    Lake Zurich, IL
    In fact, thinking back to games I've seen where the stronger team was defeated by a weaker team, lack of midfield intensity by the "stronger" reputed team was almost always a contributing factor.

A team I joined last year was a bunch of gringos playing against a team of Argentinians and we were down 4 or 5 to 1 at halftime with us only starting to pressure them when they brought the ball out close to midfield. After halftime I swapped my right back position with the guy who was playing right wing mid and started pressuring up on their left back every time the ball swung to him. We proceeded to tie up the game on balls stolen somewhere between the edge of their box and the center circle, eventually losing 8-7 after we tired a bit and got beat on a couple of counters. But we'd have had no chance if we'd have continued to let them bring the ball out to midfield without pressure.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they were sagging off their marks per instructions.

21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    yes, because your rec league is exactly like world cup qualifying.

22. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it makes it any better, my state championship was like World Cup qualifying, except the fields weren't as shitty as they are here.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thank you.

24. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's out selling insurance.

flash1316 repped this.
  25. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    To me, as well: it looked like an attempt to bait them into longer passes and prevent their midfielders from finding a rhythm.