Second NY team, would you switch?

Discussion in 'NY/NJ Off Topic' started by Stefan Schuette, Jul 28, 2010.

1. UpperV

UpperV New Member

May 11, 2004
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a look at the 2 teams in LA... BTW... LA Galaxy plays @ the Home Depot Center, which is actually in Carson, CA, NOT LA.... sharing the facility with Chivas USA, was an interesting concept, but if you go to a Chivas game, you rarely have a crowd, except when they play the Galaxy... The Galaxy games usually have a good crowd, riot squad, etc and were the 1st team @ the HDC.... with both cities considered "major" markets... it is only a matter of time, as the sport grows, to have a second team in NY... but keep in mind, it is always about the $$$... Right now, RBNY is doing all the right things....the question is.... if you build it, will they come???? Not so sure in this case... NY2 will have some big shoes to fill to compete.

2. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    I wouldn't, but you're talking to a very niche group her at BigSoccer. Plenty of people could.

Galaxy and Chivas are not comparable to NY situation, since (a) Chivas went after a specific target demographic and (b) there was no locational differentiation, since they both play at the same stadium.

3. EmpedoxFCB

EmpedoxFCB Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, after this post, I beg a mod to close this thread. Case closed.

4. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Your analogy is very flawed.

5. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But would you switch-hit if the new team is called the Flaming Crossdressing Queens?

Come on, FC Queens, anyone?

(yeah, this is what I think about where this thread went...)

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Then you should've started an anti-Ramos thread. Your posts are out of line in this thread sir. And I have never heard that song being sung within the ESC. If you have pure hate for Tab Ramos, then start it by typing up it's own thread.

The simple question of this discussion is about would you support this club or if a NYC 2 side comes. And if you think what I did counts to your posts, you are absolutely wrong. I only quoted him about his opinions of what Red Bull has done with this club when they took over Metro.

7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    :D J1mmy, you did it again. Fantastic.

8. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of non Red Bull soccer in the nyc area---I hadn't thought about them for a very long time, but apparently FC NY had its tryouts this week July 24,25. They are now scheduled to begin play in USL next year (assuming USL doesn't collapse).

www.uslsoccer.com/teams/2009/15255248.html#MAIN

It's pretty cool--maybe one day we could have an offseason NY Cup --between MLS Red Bull, MLS NY 2, and the USL FC NY.

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a real mind-F for ya:

What if when they dissolve DC United, they move it to become the second NY team?

NY Cosmos captained by 42 year old Jaime Moreno.

Who just threw up in their mouth?

10. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they can just move over here right now, and play in Red Bull Arena, and we can charge them rent!

And by the time that stadium in Queens is ready in 2042, we'll have a good rivalry on our hands.

11. Gutch220

Gutch220 Member

Apr 26, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would anybody want the Wilpon's to be involved with MLS? They ruin everything they touch. No real fan would ever change things. But I do think it would help the league get greater exposure to the city and (usually) New York City has a large influence over the national media, so that would be a good thing.
    MLS has been saying the southeast needs a team and I agree, but lately the MLS offices are choosing cities that seem to have a jumpstart on the local fanbase (Seattle, Philadelphia) but I haven't heard any passion coming from any specific city in the southeast like Atlanta. Are there any 2nd division teams in the area that can be developed into a MLS franchise? In 2012 there will be 19 teams. I think the United States can have more than 20 teams like some other European counties just based on the size of the US. I think 24 teams would be good eventually, but only of they're viable, not added for the sake of adding.
    A 2nd team in the NY area would get a bunch of new fans and maybe the random very casual Red Bulls fan. But there are SO MANY people in the NY metro area that two teams can easily survive.
    Once the area around RBA gets renovated and developed it will be an awesome spot to travel to.
    It would be funny though if a 2nd team was created but had a stadium deal fall through, and they got stuck playing in the new "Giants Stadium".

12. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if RB owned the 2nd NY team and named it "NY Cosmos FC", and didn't advertise their liquid refreshments but instead sold advertising, would everyone be happy?

Really, what other ownership is there that would put up the money for NY2 besides RB?

13. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many people will do this. Or how many people won't go to Harrison but will go there. Depends on where "there" is I guess. There is a fair bit of wait and see (not so much here but elsewhere) about this.

I need to point out that (in order)

They have sucked for fifteen years, none of those signings have been on the field yet (and the first Henry weekend game is sold out), they haven't been playing that well, nice stadium, total bitch to get to if you have a car (the exact opposite problem of GS)

Mike Hampton, bigsoccer poster. Who knew?

This + infinity. The first franchise has always had a second franchise breathing down their neck. At some point, Garber should just pull a Norman Dale : "That's my team out on the court" and let them breathe without looking over their shoulder. And I think he is doing it quite intentionally because Red Bull seriously pissed off many in MLS with their arrogance that they were going to show MLS how it was done the Red Bull Way.

Side note : I think a second team in NY proper that isn't totally incompetent (aka run by a Dolan) will be an unmitigated disaster for Red Bull. I fail to see how they don't see this and aren't fighting tooth and nail to stop it.

14. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well supported argument. :rolleyes:

15. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    You can count on the in-fighting and name-calling here and on MF to reach legendary proportions within moments of the official announcement of a second NY team. The schism in the South Ward alone will probably be studied by sociologists for generations to come.

16. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that not only are MANY former Cosmos players (greats) on-board, but even a Metro great. Just saying, maybe RB is becoming F. Metros. :D

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/cosmos-twice-in-a-lifetime/?ref=soccer#preview

Gio!

17. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It would be closer by about 20-30 minutes for me but I'm pretty fiercely loyal to the teams I support. Having said that if they do join I wish them luck and hope they can pack their stadium. The worst thing for this market and MLS would be having two clubs with mediocre attendance, so I'll trust that Garber and the league have done their homework here.

18. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet a whole lot of Soda Can FC fanboys would switch now that the Cosmos are coming back. The 2nd team wouldn't brand Red Bulls as a New Jersey team because they have always been a Jersey team. I look for Red Bull New York to begin looking to sell the team, also.

19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    You take the little show today as a sign that the Cosmos "are back"?

:confused:

Soccer came back to the Big Apple on October 17, 1995.

20. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I hear Baltimore and St. Louis are really nice this time of year. I wonder how the home values are for DC's players.

21. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    as decent as their current stadium?:D

[​IMG]

22. chimultrufio

chimultrufio New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    you forgot about the Volkswagen and the giant speedometer!! LOL

23. BronxFC

BronxFC New Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Wouldn't switch even if the stadium was built right across the street from me. Could care less if they name it Cosmos or not.

This team will be potentially owned by Fred Wilpon right? As a Mets fan, it kills me to have anything to do with that family. They're incompetent owners of one franchise, no way they handle two. If NY2 is a Wilpon project, it will be a train wreck. Bank on it.

24. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not likely a switch here. I live west of hudson (Orange County) and its a waste of time and money to cross the river unless i absolutely have to. I'm a lifelong Mets fan, but i wouldn't root for a reborn Cosmos franchise just to be near my baseball team's home.

25. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this rational, you are supporting one of the big arguments for NY2...