Second NY team, would you switch?

Discussion in 'NY/NJ Off Topic' started by Stefan Schuette, Jul 28, 2010.

1. chimultrufio

chimultrufio New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    dude , i really feel you on your points...but Red Bull Salzburg isnt quite a household soccer club so i dont think its that great of an example...nothing like CHivas uSa and Chivas Guadalajara..not even close...i do respect your opinion but as u can see the New York Red Bulls are doing great so i would suggest that you just take a step back and enjoy it....if the team fails and folds then u will have the last laugh..until then just be happy that ur not a Chivas uSa fan :) lol

2. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Maybe someone can square this away for me... they aren't actually looking to steal Red Bulls fans with a new team are they? The idea is that there are soccer fans that aren't interested in the Red Bulls because the stadium is too far away, so that market will follow the new team, right?

3. chimultrufio

chimultrufio New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    yes, partially correct...they are also trying to market the 2nd team to non-Red Bull believers, people who arent too happy about Red Bull owning the team etc.....and to old school Cosmos fans ... thats what ive taken from this...

i just find it funny that this discussion is even taking place right now, ya know with the New YOrk Red Bulls enjoying their best moment they have ever had....

this thread should be closed

4. chimultrufio

chimultrufio New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    to the O.G poster: come visit a LA and take in a CHivas uSa match, u will see what a "REAL" failed product really is.......NYRB is doing great, like i said ...if they fold and fail u will have the last laught, until then just enjoy the ride :)

5. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Just wanted to pass along an article that was in the MLS News & Analysis section that was dated on July 29th from Soccer America. They interviewed Tab Ramos and here is the question and answer about the Metro/RBNY.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39112/tab-ramos-weve-come-a-long-way.html

6. Rt. Hon. Basil Brush

May 16, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Correct! There are very densely populated areas within the NYC boundaries proper, with soccer-friendly demographics who just dont make it over to RB Arena. To be frank, I wouldnt make it out there often if not for my car, so I can sympathize with folks in Queens/Bronx/Brooklyn who dont go.

I dont think MLS is as concerned about disgruntled Metro fans/Cosmos fans as they are about capitalizing on the great demographics in such densely populated locations. They must be salivating at the prospect of getting into this market!

7. Rt. Hon. Basil Brush

May 16, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That sums it up for me too. I get the whole corporate billboard argument, but it just seems to me that when a company throws so much into creating a great club, you have to be excited that its in your town. At the end of the day we all know they are an energy drink company, so they are doing it for money - hence the Redbull branding, but guess what: Every soccer club had better run like a business if they expect to survive! redbull is putting its own money on the line, so you'd expect them to put their name all over everything. They want Redbull to get the recognition, and they hope it leads to increased redbull sales. for that to work, they need our team to win. So it looks like our interests converge where it matters: the need to win! I have no complaints with that. I'm just happy it was Redbull that bought the team and not Tampax. Think about it.

8. foolovsky

foolovsky Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for a second NY team...and a third and fourth and fifth. Imagine NYC being the London of MLS. I think that MLS's aggressive expansion is working surprisingly well. The league is structured to benefit smaller clubs more than other leagues are and that will only help ensure that new franchises do not flop after 3-5 years. MLS can easily grow to 25-30 teams by 2020. The question after that becomes is it willing to create an MLS2 for promotion / relegation? Now THAT would be a remarkable feat.

To answer the OP's question, I would definitely stick with RBNY. I don't think I could stand another 10-15 years of building a club from scratch.

9. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    +1.

10. EmpedoxFCB

EmpedoxFCB Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out! Out!

11. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd never switch. Been following since 1996 and will stay thru the good times that are coming soon!

12. Pall Good

Pall Good New Member

May 17, 2010
    Bridgeport CT
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In all honesty, I don't think they will ever be able to sell out the current field. I think people are waiting for something in NY. I live right on the NY/CT border and it takes me around 100 minutes to drive to the game (with no traffic, and that NEVER happens, so it's more like 2 to 3 hours) and a lot longer (more $$$) to take the train. I wouldn't switch teams for anything short of a team popping up in my town that I could walk to (which isn't going to happen).

Again, RB don't sell out. The stadium is usually around 3/4 full, which would be good, but...

1) It is right next to a city with 8 million people (so close yet so far...)

2) They have had some great signings

3) They have been playing well

4) The stadium is great and new

13. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Are you really that friggin ignorant to the history of soccer branding in the Big Apple? Pinton wouldn't let this team have the Cosmos name. Peppe f'ing Pinton!?! Geez, Louise... Slapping stickers to prep a clothing line isn't exactly a resurrection and Kemsley [spit] was the only fool willing to pay Pinton's ransom on the gamble that someone else will pay his and/or allow him to be involved.

The fanbase is the same. The signifiers are arbitrary.

Cosmos->MetroStars->RedBulls. If/when our ownership changes, my guess is the team will be rebranded once more as Bulls. Acting as if you're somehow fighting global evil by playing the grass-is-greener-in-Queens game fails to take the ethical upper-hand, sorry.

The question posed by this thread is if you support RBNY now would you switch to NY2. If you've already left, the question isn't addressed to you in order to push your agenda of making your fantasy team a reality. And you're gonna lecture us on our "failed education system"? :rolleyes:

Since the inception of MLS, we haven't seen greater days than these. So the anti-brigade are active trying to pi$$ on our parade. It's not working.

Garber needs to shut the f up about NY2 and stop encouraging the undermining of NY's team. Go ahead and continue to negotiate with potential investors but teasing fans with expansion where there's no team is one game while teasing fans where there's a team is quite another.

14. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Agreed. People are desperate spoil our party.

15. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The analogy, as quoted by you, was made that if the New York Cosmos are resurrected, then they should be the F. Cosmos. My argument: then the Red Bulls must be the F. Metros. To many, including myself, the newly branded club simply erased that history. It would be foolish to think that all their changes were made as an extension of the Metro history. I'd rather find myself in the SV Salzburg supporters (up the purple-whites!), where if you can't get the owners to follow your own desires, you break off, organize and try to get another team. SV Salzburg, FC United of Manchester and AFC Wimbledon are all examples of this.

Apparently, you know me personally.

So Garber is in the anti-brigade? So Red Bull must be in the anti-brigade as well since they want the 2nd team too. So Red Bull "needs to shut the f up." :rolleyes:

Why is everyone so scared, except for the club? Probably has something to do with our conscience vs. blatant Red Bull motivation.

16. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    RB didn't erase the MetroStars history, despite your feelings. That's why the Ramos banner is up over the western corner of the South Ward and there's pre-RB players listed in the NY XI banner there, too.

No, I don't believe we've ever met.

Go ahead and follow your analogy and form an NPSL team.

Though Garber isn't in the "anti-brigade" his comments re. NY2 have been counterproductive and have unquestionably fueled the fire of the anti-brigade. It isn't that we're "scared" by the possibility of another team. It's that the efforts to disrupt or fracture this fanbase are unceasing and fourteen years of empty promises re. a team playing in Queens or Long Island have fostered a grass-is-greener mentality that to some degree encourages potential fans to hold out for a team that would play closer to where they live, have a different name, or any other of the fantasy categories that keep people from supporting the team that's been here and is here.

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    If I recall, Tab Ramos isn't exactly held in high esteem from Metrostars fans due to him and Sunil Gulati fleecing the team and its fans in the late 90's.

Also, didn't Ramos pay Red Bulls to hang his number fromthe rafters? Odd that a guy that did so little on the field and was held in such low regard by its fans was given such an honor over much much more well loved and deserving payers.

18. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Tab was plagued with injuries his last season. We were down on him, on the whole team and the front office. Time has healed that wound, such as it was. I prefer to remember his better years with the team, including the big comeback vs. Tampa in '96

Has Lothar Mattheaus been given a place of honor at RBA?

19. guanaco20

guanaco20 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    North Bergen
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well being that Tab Ramos was the first Metro player signed ever....he deserves that honor.....

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    What Gulati did back then was all his fault on that situation as he was behind Doug Logan on the pecking order, but once he left then Logan was shown the door, Garber & Gazidis became a team. Ramos complained. The only reason Ramos isn't held in high esteem as you say is because he got injured too many times. You might not hold Tab Ramos in high esteem, but I do.

Mod note : personal attack deleted

By the way if you remember a couple of years ago sir, their was a banner at Giants Stadium honoring Tab Ramos induction into the Soccer Hall Of Fame with a Metro shield on it. Oh I guess Ramos paid Metro back then to hang it up as well.

21. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramos was honored because he deserved it plain and simple. Now if they put up a banner of "Little Things" at RBA then it's time to riot!! Talk about a guy who did nothing whatsoever....

In terms of NY 2---I've invested too much time and energy in the MetroBulls to switch. If NY2 ever became a reality, I wouldn't hate them, and I would watch their games on tv (or DVR them if the Red Bull game was happening at the same time) but I would most likely never haul my butt all the way up to queens to go see a live game, nor would i buy their jersey.

Watching NY2 would be similar to watching a Euro team for me--interesting in soccer terms but unemotional. I'll watch Man U or Roma, or Barca to see how they do against that week's opposition, to see what they do on the field, and to catch a good televised game when it happens, but i dont live or die by whether those teams win or lose, i simply dont have anything invested in them. When they lose i dont get a sinking feeling in my stomach and when they win i dont jump up and down for joy. I can miss several games because of having things to do on the weekends and it doesnt bother me. Not at all like my feelings for the Red Bulls-- I get pissed when they lose, am happy when they win, obsess over signings, lineups, and formations, and watching every single game is simply a MUST.

Tell you what though, i bet you that the annual games between MetroBulls and NY 2 would be a hot ticket for most fans.

22. Fudbutter

Fudbutter Member

Mar 22, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    well, I'd certainly go to more games in Queens than Harrison but I think it is silly to have two teams here. It's not like there are 55,000 attendance figures every game

Seriously, where would you build a stadium? It would be a disaster to do so the CitiField parking lot and it is going to be years until the Iron Triangle is cleaned up so it can't be there.

Like I said, silly notion

23. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is the main reason that I support a 2nd team in our area. So people like this, and their "morals" :rolleyes:, can finally go the ******** away. It would be nice, after the "purge', if we just had people who were 100% committed to our team. Yeah, I can't wait.

1 person likes this.
  24. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't Citifield be configured to have a soccer pitch? At least I thought that's what I heard when rumors of the Wilpons wanting an MLS club started heating up. But I'd imagine that it can't be done that way since Garber is requiring new teams to have a SSS.

25. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    As i remember it, the deal was between Sunil and Tab to sign him to a huge Max deal on the back of some below par seasons and injuries against the outright stated objections of the current MetroStars owners Subotnick and Kludge. Essentially Ramos and Sunil conspired against the MetorStars owners wishes on his contratc future with the club and the shortly thereafter Sunil was "removed" from his position and the irrate owners ended up selling out of MLS not long after.

That season the Metrostars where cap strapped by the illegal contract and Ramos barely even played as he sat injured, As i recall it was so bad that a large section of fans created songs and chants against Ramos and even made fun of his Tab's Kids charity under the irony that his contract was charity.

At least that is how i remember it.

Entry into soccer Hall of Fame had little to do with his MLS career and more to do with his career as a United States soccer player. No one can deny Tab's great career in that respect. But that is seperate and appart from the question of why his banner is hanging in RBA.

I can name off at least 10 NY/NJ players that deserve that honor more than Tab Ramos.

How did the song used to go?

"There's only one Tab Ramos!
    There's only one Tab Ramos!
    He never plays, but the Metro pays
    Ramos is a f*cking welfare queen!"