Second NY team, would you switch?

Discussion in 'NY/NJ Off Topic' started by Stefan Schuette, Jul 28, 2010.

1. komba

komba Member

May 28, 2009
    Always been a big fan of the Jets and Yankees. Casually kept an eye on soccer although it was always the sport I played most. Now that the RBs have their own stadium (means a lot because it shows serious stability for the league and team), and the league is good, I'm interest. Throw in the fact that the owners have showed a real desire to win and have gotten quality character guys in Henry, and I'm all in with RBNY.

I won't be switching even though this is the first year I've really jumped in fully.

2. EmpedoxFCB

EmpedoxFCB Member

Apr 20, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being from New Jersey and all, I could care less if it stayed as RBNY or RBNJ. I'm sticking w/ them.

3. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    and now there are NY Cosmos slipmats for DJ's

[​IMG]
    http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/42/173/86148.html

what are these soccer-harlem globetrotters up to anyways?

4. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    RBNY will never be rebadged as NJ. would you still stay if they were both NY teams?

5. isolde

isolde Member

Feb 14, 2004
    nj
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will support new team if they sign Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

6. Stefan Schuette

Jan 3, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, nice, a little bit of Column A and a little bit from Column B.

Let me thicken the plot a little bit.

New York is granted a second team, and they will be known as the...

...NY Metrostars!

Where are you now? Red Bulls? or the new Metrostars?

7. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to switch.

Am going to support having another NY team. After all, who wants to travel to St. Louis?

8. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Do we really need to deal with this every friggin day of our club's existence???

It's bad enough someone's slapping the Cosmos stickers all around town...(Kemsley's Pinton purchase to push a clothing line to be followed by an "inspirational travel team" to be followed by Lord knows what..) Why can't we just enjoy what's going on right now rather than fret over hypotheticals? No offense, but how many threads have there been like this???? This isn't exactly an original question, concern or thread.

If NY2 comes around some day and somehow has the rights to the brand name Cosmos or MetroStars this club, currently known as RBNY, will always be home for the fanbase who have remained loyal and supported top-flight soccer for the Big Apple.

1 person likes this.
  9. Stefan Schuette

Jan 3, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that a fact?

10. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, it is.

11. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's absolutely no way they'd be Metrostars IMO.

12. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    hell yea.

i could give a fuk about a 2nd team in the area. i gots my stadium and my bar to hang at.:)

13. eightyhoursaway

Jun 5, 2008
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    seconded

14. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Metrostars is a gay name, glad they changed it to Red Bulls.

15. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Agreed.

Agreed.

16. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm already waiting for the second team. I really tried to embrace Red Bull after the Metros, but despite everything, I knew deep inside that I'd be a tool if I didn't realize that I'm a walking commercial looking like a Red Bull can. I've been to the stadium. Enjoyed the stadium. Enjoy seeing Henry (you can keep Marquez). But that's not an identity.

How else does one protest what Red Bull has done? Blindly accept that they changed the jersey, name and general feel of the club.

17. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    agreed.

all those peeps at Reliant last night wearing Aon looked like asshats.:rolleyes::D

18. chimultrufio

chimultrufio New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    props to all the New York Red Bulls fans for staying true, i love what your team is doing..cant wait to see them when they come down to LA later in the season...

can someone close this thread now?? :)

19. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd support the team in Harrison even if they changed their name to Douchebags United. I don't care about the name. I don't care if it's NY or NJ, I don't care if it's MetroStars, Metro, Red Bulls, Cosmos, whatever. If Adolf Hitler Smith developed a cure for cancer, I don't think the patients would fret too much over the name. A name doesn't make the organization, the organization makes the name. "Chivas" was originally an insult, but they changed the meaning of it through their actions. The only reason people are bothered by the Red Bulls name or the location is there aren't any trophies behind the glass yet.

1 person likes this.
  20. Polseb

Polseb Member

Jun 9, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    In that case I would stay with the Red Bulls and would just keep an eye on the other team in the standings.

21. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wood stay with rb.

22. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy Q.Q moar... Just go support NY2 and forget about this club, very simple.

Btw no matter what jersey you wear you are a walking billboard for that team/company, so that point is beyond stupid and beaten to death. When I wear my Yankees shirt and cap I'm advertising for the Yankees and not only that but I payed for the privilege of doing that for free.

23. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm sticking with Red Bull, the real Cosmos, the real MetroStars too, our enduring home town team.

Count me as a skeptic as far as NY2 goes. It seems from Garber's recent statements that the league is doing a lot of the leg work for this initiative. The league it appears is scouting sites and looking into financing. Why isn't that the job of the the lead investor? Because there is no investor at this point. Several folks including Wilpon may be thinking about it but no one has stepped forward as yet. Then you have the pesky stadium and infrastructure issues. Anyone thinking this thing is as good as done is living in a fantasy world.

And don't be deceived by the F.cosmos stickers. How much does a couple of thousand small adhesive stickers with the F.cosmos logo cost, maybe several hundred dollars. Then you have to pay a couple of kids likely a couple of hundred more to sticker up Manhattan late at night. Why use this tactic? Because Kemsley has no money. The photo of Man City guys kicking the F.cosmos ball was almost certainly a freebie done by the City folks as a courtesy to a guy they know.

And for all the talk of how the Cosmos' name is a clear gateway to winning over the whole metro region funny how the NY2 guys didn't come to this conclusion until Kemsley spoke to them. It wasn't self evident until then I guess. Don't get me wrong, as a Cosmos fan from back in the day I know the name has clout but it won't really be Cosmos (if NY2 gets off the ground at all and then uses the name another big if). New players, new fans, new era, new location, most real Cosmos fans will be at the Arena.

And for those folks thinking of going over to the darkside consider this, you'll be sharing the terraces with guys who have been trying to undermine our team, your team since their inception. Are you really going to sign up to sing with and be led by the Boys?

I'm a big Don Garber fan but I think he has his priorities all wrong on this one. With Henry and Marquez this is the must exciting period for soccer in New York since MetroStars debuted and when Pele arrived before that. This shouldn't be the time he's moving this NY2 initiative though thankfully it's only being covered on the internet. Garber should also publicly state that MLS will not allow the Cosmos name to be used by NY Mets or Tottenham guys to split our fanbase.

In the real world however the Henry signing is giving us exposure we've haven't seen since the 70's. Mainstream talk and news programs are covering it nicely. Bill Daughtry an old black sports guy enjoying a resurgence on ESPN 1050 has been given his own show and in a recorded commercial rattled off how his show would be handled. In the spot he said he'd be covering the Yanks/Mets/Giants/Jets/Knicks and Rangers then he paused and closed the spot out by saying, and maybe a little Red Bulls too!

2 people repped this.
  24. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How people don't see the difference between repping a club and acting as a billboard for a company is testament to the failed education system in America. There is no comparison worth making between the Yankee baseball club, which so strictly follows pinstripe tradition to the point that any alteration to their jersey is outlawed, to Red Bull New York. The same jersey worn by Ruth and Gehrig were worn by Reggie, O'Neill, and Jeter. Not to mention, I cannot go to the store and buy "Yankees." The only product they truly sell is baseball. Everything else is club merchandising. Red Bull erased the Metro stripes, modeled their club name after the drink and matched the jerseys of their sister clubs. Not to mention, when you walk through RBA, watch Red Bull analysis or buy concessions at the vendors, you are bombarded with more Red Bull cans. I really don't like bringing it up anymore. Soccer clubs (as much as any sport) should be a reflection of the supporters. Not the other way around.

And yes, I do support the 2nd NYC team. You know more and more people are chanting Bulls instead of Metro. Soon it will die, and the reason I still hold something to the club will die with it.

25. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was this defense of a name when Red Bull took over the Metros? How can you, on one side, defend the Red Bulls as an extension of the Cosmos and Metros, but then complain that Garber/Kemsley & co. are disgracing the Cosmos name by resurrecting them? If you're so set on calling this team the F. Cosmos, then Red Bulls HAVE to be the F. Metros. That's simple logic. If p then q.