SEC Football 2012 - 6 going on 7

Discussion in 'Football' started by Catracho_Azul, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Defending AP Champ Alabama was dropped after the first week when defending UPI Champ Michigan State and the other three teams immediately behind Bama played but Bama did not. The buzz around Southern college ball was that Alabama was being punished for its dehumanizing policies. That buzz doesn't have to be factual (look at all the crazy shuffling that happened with the other top teams that season- hell, look at Texas' team a couple of seasons later), but it's what they latched onto regardless. And they're still latched onto it. That's what I meant.

If Bama had dropped their discriminatory policies, they'd have had one less thing to worry about. But they didn't, they dropped, and then they did faulty math.

Notre Dame and Michigan State were every bit as undefeated as Alabama and played each other. They were every bit as undefeated as Alabama when the game ended. The winner of that game was going to be ranked ahead of Bama (and the loser below, most likely) regardless of who it was. It happens that they tied, so neither team dropped below the Tide. Instead of hating on the system that shuffled teams around (even after wins, some of them dropped) or hating themselves for being segregationists (potentially giving the pollsters a chance to use that against them) Bama fans chose to hate on the team that won the AP and UPI polls.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    RIP to the two Auburn players who got killed over the weekend.

3. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear SEC,

We warned you. You didn't listen, and now they're all yours.

Love,
    The Big 12

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missouri needs to lighten up. They threatened a friend with legal action over a photoshop spoof he created that had their logo in it. He got letters from both their legal dept and their AD. We're talking about a site that gets maybe a thousand hits a day.

6. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol my mom is a Longhorn, and we're going to miss the UT/A&M games... Of course, even in their worst years, the Aggies would often manage a win against our beloved Longhorns. I went to LSU for grad school, and I can't wait to watch the Aggies get put in their place by a team that's not only better than the Longhorns, but doesn't have the century-plus long rivalry pressure. Aggies are going to get smashed. Geaux Tigers!

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why does the number of hits matter as far as lightening up is concerned?

Everyone defends their brand and their wallet. Y'all had to be forced to show Daniel Moore some love, IIRC :)

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just kind of makes you wonder what exactly they're spending their time on out there. It was a spoof ready by, relatively speaking, a handful of people. It would've disappeared in less time than it took Mizzou to get their legal team on it. Who threatens legal action over satire? I'm just saying, they could stand to lighten up.

UA needs to lighten up too on a lot of things, though I'd say there's quite a difference between someone who has literally made millions off of something and some guy with a day job who makes photoshop jokes as a hobby. There was no product being sold in the case of the Mizzou joke, so I'd say that's one significant difference. Regarding the Daniel Moore thing, I'd be more interested in defending the intellectual property of the photographers he clearly lifts his paintings from that go uncompensated than Alabama getting money off of it.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They're probably tired of people ragging on them because they're not the equal of the top four or five teams in the 14-team SEC. I'd give them a pass until basketball season myself.

What, exactly, was the spoof?

I really didn't know Moore had made that kind of dough doing this, but I should have. I don't know how the law deals with photographs, particularly those that aren't posed. I'm actually not sure I agree with the "intellectual property" idea of painters compensating photographers for recreating action (during play, of play- not artsy shots of players on the sideline) sports photos- seems to me you're capturing a moment that would have occurred whether you were there or not. Setting aside exposure settings (because in this case, they're used only to recreate what the eye actually saw), you created only the particular angle from which the moment was captured, and you were able to press the shutter at the right time. A photo of Bryant leaning against the goalpost or Ed Scissum crying is one thing. The image of Van Tiffin's kick or Bo Jackson getting stopped is another. Yeah, it's all art, but it's also information, and photographers do receive compensation for their work. The property probably belongs to the news agency the photographers work for anyhow. I'd just as sooin Daniel Moore get the cash as a newspaper in Montgomery.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    LSU Dismisses DB Tyrann Mathieu

LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, who appears on SI’s preseason All-America team as both a corner and a return man, has been dismissed. Les Miles announced the decision at a Friday afternoon press conference.

It’s a high-profile loss for the Bayou Bengals: Mathieu ranked as the country’s top fumble-forcer in 2011 and was fourth in punt return yardage. He was honored following last season, his second on the field, as a Heisman Trophy finalist. And he’s become a fan favorite through social media channels, not least for his willingness to openly needle opponents.

No word on the specific reason. I'm betting on a second drug offense.

11. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't change LSU's status as a national title contender. His loss will hurt the return game more than the secondary.

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    TM7 dismissed on 3 failed drug tests.. some even say 7. Rumors are he even tested positive for Heroin and Synthetic Weed.

He's already looking at NAIA schools since his failed drug tests will not permit him to play in NCAA again this season.

His family did say though he's looking into playing for Southern or Grambling

13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  14. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LSUfreek never disappoints

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm so god-damned happy he didn't end up there. Their current teams and their crude alumni make you wonder what the hell happened to the few measures of class they had before Coach Rob left. Nobody likes to travel to Grambling or Baton Rouge, and they're the only two programs in the SWAC that every other program's fans have this to say about. And LMAO at them or anyone else thinking it's about their wins. It isn't --everyone respects that-- it's their behavior.

Sorry, that looks like a bag of mulch. Needed to be greener and tied at the top. Nobody weighs weed in a ziplock.

17. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    RMFT!!! :)

nicodemus repped this.
  18. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three days until the season kicks off with South Carolina- Vanderbilt.

Time for predictions...

SEC East
    1) Georgia- Great schedule although Missouri, SC, UF and Auburn all won't be easy. Lots of talent on both sides of the ball although special teams is a question mark. 11-1 regular season seems about right. With a few breaks, they could be in the national title game.

2) Florida- Offense has a ways to go, but the defense should keep them in most games. SEC East title isn't out of the question if they can upset Georgia in Jacksonville.

3) South Carolina- Good team but UGA, LSU and UF in back to back weeks...ouch. They'll probably lose two out of three there, and to Arkansas and Clemson also.

4) Tennessee- Could have been a great receiving corps with Da'Rick Rogers...still a good one. They've added some nice JUCO talent. Dooley might need an upset or two over UF, Georgia, Bama or SC to save his job.

5) Missouri- They'll be competitive, but might need a few more recruiting classes to challenge the powers of the SEC.

6) Vanderbilt- Could make a bowl but the division is even stronger this year.

7) Kentucky- Joker Phillips will be lucky to keep his job.

SEC West
    1) LSU- Mathieu's loss hurts the special teams more than the secondary. They're deep at every position. QB play will be much improved over last year and Bama is at home. Spencer Ware could have a breakout year.

2) Arkansas- Tough to call, but with home edge against Bama and LSU... I think they'll win one of those two games. Wilson is the best QB in the league.

3) Alabama- Best offensive line in the country. Defense will take a step back with the graduation losses but is still very good. If they get past Arkansas it could come down to Nov. 3 in Death Valley.

4) Auburn- The hardest team to predict. More talented than last year but they lose Malzahn. Still, Chizik gets the most out of his players.

5) Miss. St- Early schedule is favorable and all of their home games are winnable. Could have a solid season.

6) Texas A&M- The Missouri game might determine if they make a bowl.

7) Ole Miss- New coach has a lot of work to do.

SEC Championship- LSU over Georgia

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I like your way of thinking

20. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be at Cowboys Stadium this Saturday for Bama vs. Michigan. This should tell us quite a bit about Bama's chances going forward. My prediction is that Alabama be undefeated heading to the LSU game... but I just don't see us getting by them this time around. I think it will be LSU beating Georgia for the SEC title... and then LSU beating USC for the National Championship.

I hope I'm wrong. I really hope I'm wrong. ROLL TIDE!

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Well you lost last year in the regular season so. You'll get use to it.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too will be in Dallas. Such an exciting time of year!

Crimson Ace repped this.
  23. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay classy.

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    yes, cuz we t-bag folks...

25. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I said "stay classy," I wasn't referencing an entire fan base. I was speaking to you. Every fan base has their idiots. Neither of us can control that. I probably hate that actions of that idiot more than you do. However, I personally do my best to keep my comments and actions above the line. Best of luck to you and your program.

Boundzy repped this.