Sebastian Lletget at West Ham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by JohnR, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 13 Year Old Yank gets West Ham Trial

You mean you hope he learns that he can't expect to be the star of the show, that he has to play some defence and that he has to make off-the-ball runs without his coach having to chew him out?

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hey, he does that which you say and actually learns how to finish more often, all the better, but if he goes to Ghana's nt, not as good for US Socce, at least at NT level....If Lletget pulls all these things off and were to represent the US in 4-5 years, awesome...Good luck, to both..
    Btw, you do know my previous post was mostly a joke, no?

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. You've got to remember that no one in the YA Forum has a sense of humor on the third Tuesday of the month.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In this case I'd never put any stock in those Adu to Ghana threads so I missed it. My bad.

5. tincho

tincho New Member

Aug 15, 2006

I don't know where he was born, but is as Argentine as Claudio Reyna was... in this case both parents. He tried out for River Plate and made it (that is what parents told me). I don't know what he's feelings are... it will be a tough call deciding between Argentina and US, but fortunately for the US in Argentina there are hundreds of players of Sebastian's caliber. Although Argentina lost Trezeguet to France, in that case he did all his youth in Argentina and debuted for Platense at age 17. The others, Camoranesi, Pernía, Franco, others were lost with knowledge. For you that like this info, in Argentina there is the son of a former player, that like Trezeguet was born in france while his dad played there, Gonzalo Higuain, new star of River that has said he wants to play for France...
    Go figure!

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why would we be against someone playing for the US?????? That makes no sense.

7. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Flat out untrue.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Yeah, that struck me as hyperbole but the dude's got inside info so let's not chase him off.

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

who said i was ?
    Does ;) mean nothing anymore?!?!

I was playing with the "fact" Adu is doubting whether he'll end up playing for the USMNT in the future to favor native Ghana..

10. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA

West Ham is great trial trial to have. Their academy record is as goo as any in England.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Argentinian born, then? How long in the U.S.?

This worries me a bit. The kid is slick with the ball and athletic but so are other 13 year olds. What made him stand out was his speed of play and tactical understanding. Unlike other 13 year old U.S. ball wizards, who are slow-playing solo acts, he was thinking before receiving the ball and playing beautiful combination soccer.

I would feel better if an American-born kid had developed that tactical sense. Because it's an area that we as a country continue to struggle with, at all age groups. We can get great athletes and have them juggle ... but will they feel the game like Sebastian? I don't think so. Something is still missing.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Spector will convince him.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Tincho just said that he doesn't know where Lletget was born, but both his parents are from Argentina.

14. tincho

tincho New Member

Aug 15, 2006

I have seen Argentine soccer for many years and I can assure you that there are hundreds like Sebastian. If you don't believe me I will be happy to tour you around buenos Aires or Rosario, from the futsal leagues (club Parque, Maldonado, Estrella), to the clubs to the dirt fields where talent is raised.
    And praises to John for touching the important subject of "What made him stand out was his speed of play and tactical understanding". I believe that all these Nike commercials are accentuating a trend into this "wizard" thing, as in the best players are the ones that can do more tricks. Soccer is a lot more than tricks. If you don´t believe me go to Brazil and ask brazilians how they feel about Ronaldinho doing all those commercials! I was there during the World Cup!

15. tincho

tincho New Member

Aug 15, 2006

great comment!
    Martin

16. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA

Since Argetina cannot use all those great talents, can we ship half of them back to USA? :p

We can start a adoption campaign. I am sure we can find out 50 families to adopt them. I, for example, can adopt 3 to 5 of them without problem. :p

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Joe Cole and Jermain Defoe are graduates no?

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Lampard, I believe Rio Ferdinand. A whole bunch more.

19. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial

On the past England team Lampard, James, Joe Cole, Carrick, and Ferdinand. They also produced Ince, Defoe, and Glen Johnson who is considered a prospect for the England.

20. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005

He must have US citizenship to be included in the US U15? No?

Can anyone answer this question?

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Although to be fair, with the geographical restrictions they sure are well placed when it comes to talent available. Blackburn could have the best youth methods out there and still be severely handicapped comparatively.

I nevertheless agree as other London clubs have the same advantages and haven't exploited it like they have. Not yet anyway.

22. Hammerette

Hammerette Member

Jun 21, 2006
    England

It is wrong to suggest that the success of the West Ham academy is due to little more than it's location. Thanks to the vision of men like the late Ron Greenwood, West Ham has had a tradition of producing home grown talent since the 1960s and have continued to produce players who have gone on to win representitive honours to the present day. We are not the only club to have a successful academies of course, Southampton have an excellent academy in a comparitively lightly populated area, likewise Middlesbrough and Ipswich. Manchester United are an example of a first class academy in a heavily populated area.

Academy success is built up and reputation earned by having a skillful youth coaching set up and the club having a proven track record in giving young homegrown talent a chance in their first teams. It is also dependant on how a club prioritizes it's finances and clubs like West Ham have always invested heavily in it's youth set up and they are by no means cheap to run. Clubs like that deserve credit not cheap put downs about being "well placed". Michael Carrick came from Newcastle, hardly on West Ham's doorstep.

Referring to earlier posts David James was not a West Ham academy product, I think he started off at Watford but not sure. Jermain Defoe joined from Charlton at age 16.

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

I'm pretty sure yeah.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Actually, no.

To PLAY for the US, even in a youth national team friendly against another national team, a player needs to be a citizen.

But citizenship is not required to be in camp, nor is inclusion in a camp exclusively proof one is a citizen.

Freddy Adu was in Bradenton and training with the 17s before he became a US citizen. He could play in games against youth clubs and what not, but not against other national teams.

Ramon Nunez, who wasn't even a permanent resident - and still isn't - of the US, was in several U18 national team camps for the US. Dema Kovalenko trained with the US U23 team a few times under Clive Charles.

I could go on with the examples but they would be redundant.

25. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would be wrong, but I didn't make any such suggestion. But it would be equally wrong to say it _isn't_ a factor.