Seb Hines

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bshredder, Mar 21, 2012.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish JK would address his professional opinions on all the possible CB options, I think he has only done so with gonzo. Simply stating he would be selected if not for playoff run.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He kind of has. He called in Besler and stated he would have called in Gonzalez. Meanwhile he keeps on calling Goodson.

3. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are talking about a CB at a championship side? I mean its one thing if he was in the top flight making his way. He may end up there next season. they are not far off.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, like the one who started both the CC and WC for us...:confused:

5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He captained his team to the EPL and he did ok in the WC. Poor positioning on a few goals and the ghana goal he was unable to shield gyan away from the long ball etc....

But I would not classify him on the level of Cameron at all or Bocanegra. Hence why he hasnt been called in.

6. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so im guessing you've seen him play...

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa whoa...Seb hines is not the captain for his side.

I was referencing the "player" didnt even have the bravery to say his name...that played for us in 2010 when Gooch was hurt and it was obvious he couldnt play.
    So we took in Watfords captain who had captained his team to the EPL. They were relegated in one year but have stayed up in the championship since.

He played for vancouver and has not been called up since.

Middlesborough is a pretty decent side and has a lot of history but they seriously underachieved last season and this season they are on a path to moving up but it is a long long season.

There is always a chance he could be called in. We shall see.

I think Seb may have a chance if he moves up into EPL this next year. Maybe the gold cup?

8. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell yeah we are talking about a CB at a championship side, what are our alternatives?

Scandinavia, BL 2, MLS, etc. As you rightly pointed out, the last championship level CB we had in the fold was our starter at the last WC. As bad as this CB situation is we need to bring Hines into the fold ASAP imo.

9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. I mean I think cameron is performing at a top level and if he continues to do so he will make his way into being an elite CB for us. I hope Gonzo follows.

I think seb could be a nice back up. gold cup 2013?

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England recently capped Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace. Angelo Obonna and Marco Verratti received calls and were capped by Italy as Serie B players for Torino and Pescara respectively. They've both plying their trades in the top flight with Torino and PSG but playing in the 2nd divisions did not descrease their exposure or prevent them from getting looks. I focus less on the league and more on the player and from what I've seen, Hines would be a welcomed addition. He's miles ahead of Goodson and good be on par with Gonzalez. Hopefully, he'll get a buzz from Klinsmann.

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really think Gonz is "miles ahead" of Goodson? I don't think so and neither is JK. I do think Gonz has a higher ceiling.

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think JK told Aron there is no guarantees on being called up, I don't think any coach would give anyone a guaranteed spot on a national team sight unseen, at least not publicly.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do. Goodson has regressed. The decision making and overall performance just hasn't been there. It's been a rough season at Brondby. Remember, Gonzo has been on the road to recovery and Jurgen did say had LAG been out of the playoffs Gonzo would have been in the Russian camp. He just hasn't had the opportunities based on the inury ( and subsequent recovery). I'd be willing to bet that we see an increase of Gonzo and a decrease of Goodson during qualification. That doesn't mean Goodson will not get callups it just means Gonzo's ahead of him.

Dignan repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your quote would be true, JK would have called Gonz. long ago, not just making the statement prior to the Russia game. But I do agree that Gonz will get the express treatment to see where exactly he is in the pecking order.

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semantics, same difference to me.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he did call him up for the last January camp but Omar declined as he headed to Nurnberg where he was injured. Omar had to prove to he was back healthy and once that was secure JK had the intention of a recall per JK's words. It's just LAG were still in the playoffs. JK has long had Omar on his radar but injuries, recovery (phyically and form wise), and timing (playoffs) have prevented a formal callup. I think Omar will be fast tracked and we both agree on that.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like when he only had one ACL?

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no. before, when he had two.

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even before the January camp he (JK) was asked about Gonz. and others and his answer at that time was that he had the players he needed and that Gonz and others weren't ready enough to displace the ones he had chosen.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I vaguely remember that. It also could have been a P.C. comment, too. Boca is a year older, Goodson hasn't played well since then, and Gooch has had a combo of age, injuries, and form. So yeah, at the time, Gonzo may have stil been on the radar but for a myriad of reasons, some I mentioned, some you mentioned, not called up. All indications are that Klinsmann has Omar in his plans and that's really what matters now. He'll be a bigger part of the Nats sooner than later.

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Found a template good for the next two zillion years. :)

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I could help! ;)

24. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Willfried Zaha just turned 20 years old.
    Ogbonna is on a Serie A team now....and in 2011 he was never made onto the squad in the euro.......so not an answer....
    Marco Verratti just turned 20 years old.

Seb Hines is going on 25....

Seriously?

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ogbonna and Verratti made their Italian debuts as Serie B players and Zaha as a Championship player that's all I was saying. Seb is 24 so what??? My whole point was just because a player is playing in the Championship or a reputable 2nd division doesn't mean they aren't international caliber. Take a look around it's not uncommon to see internationals in the Championship or 2nd Bundesliga.