Seattle v. Colorado Sat. July 7 9pm MT P/I/P

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by tonhtubra, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really can't think of new ways to articulate the same problems this team has had game-in and game-out. I literally don't even know what to say anymore.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a perfect pause now and man it is close with Omar but like Jason said, not a good camera angle

3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    +1 x many

COMtnGuy and Jasonma repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC decides that showing the Seattle goals are the only "highlights" they need to show. No replays of either the Rapids goal or non-goal.

5. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    What's the saying about horseshoes and hand grenades? All that means is more post game platitudes. The team showed heart, character, hung in there, didn't give up, something to build on.

To be fair, it happens in all sports, at least most of the time (playoffs? PLAYOFFS?). Doesn't mean I like it.

At this point, with most players healthy, the team should be showing signs of improving. The time for platitudes and excuses is over.

jayd8888, COMtnGuy and Quinn 33 repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did chop off my ;)

7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Yeah, I saw that, should have added one of my own to show we're on the same page.

Jasonma repped this.
  8. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    was that disallowed goal really offside? i really want to see a replay somewhere

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Two people above, looking at multiple replays confirm it was offside, barely.

Oh, and you should probably not wear that green jersey in this thread. ;)

Jasonma repped this.
  10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know every loss generates a lot of negativity, but I thought the Rapids did pretty well. I was entertained to the end. This wasn't a game I expected them to win; being on the road, on the bouncy stuff, and all, but they did well to create the opportunities to get shots and have a goal called back for a less than routine offsides.

Casey busted his butt in his time out there, and I was glad to see Omar score off a beaut of a cross. I know I'm supposed to hate those plays for not being all latin and beautiful and whatever drivel the style-freaks dish out, but I still dig it when the Rapids score.

I have a hard time not imaging that a fit and starting Omar would have made this game really interesting considering the space Casey was creating. Had that happened it'd come down to Castrillon or Smith; I'd still go with Smith - again not latin and beautiful but a better player.

Rivero is so close to being the player we need, but isn't quite there yet. He needs to hit the target on those chances but otherwise did well. He'll need time.

Gotta give a shout out for Wynne. A lot of times the N&A thread gets loaded with comments from US fans who don't want to admit that he's anything but fast (and given the chance they'll declare he's lost a step). Tonight he hit a couple of beautiful passes that the forwards should have made something out of.

Seattle deserved the win and their goals though perhaps not the way they got them. For all the hand-wringing about the Rapids defense, the set plays have been the team's bugaboo going back to last year. I have a feeling that this is why Smith was always looking for a Julien Baudet or someone of his ilk, and why OP will do the same.

As the first game post-Kimura, I don't think we're any better or worse off for having lost him (though I remain a fan). Freeman, who I recall being upset at losing way back when with may poo-poo's received, isn't as good as advertised, but he's not much worse either. In the end I think this is a push for the team.

DavidJames repped this.
  11. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Didn't really see any improvements,. The passing was atrocious, they got out pressured by Seattle and had no composure. Terrible marking and clearing. Johnson, Rosales, and Flaco were dribbling circles around the D. Rivero seems to blow a good chance or two every game.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or at least it was close enough that its not something we can really complain about without a better replay.

Ugh, made the mistake of going to the Rapdis Facebook page. I think I'll just stay away from there this week...

13. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Deron - I repped your post because I liked a lot of it.

As for this...
    Maybe it's the wrong way to look at things, but I can tolerate games like this a lot more if the team takes care of business at home. When you give away a game at home (or 2 or 3), there should be some expectation to grab one on the road, not just toss the loss aside as expected. Maybe I'm just expecting way to much. Maybe the Rapids are a 3 games under 500 team.

Edit - The Rapids continue being in the top 3rd in MLS in scoring and bottom 3rd in goals allowed.

Jasonma repped this.
  14. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why you keep banging on about the FB page. I've heard plenty about BS page as well. Both are generally more generous than the players on my men's team. It's not important in the context of this game and the Rapids, but let's not be too enamored of our own line of crap. You aren't returning to the land of rationality having visited a strange parallel dimension.

15. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    To lazy for a screen cap, but here is the caption on a highlight from tonight:
    Now Playing: SAVE: Perkins comes up with huge save on Fernandez

I don't remember the article but Pickens was called Perkins after the last game as well.​

16. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It was close.

[​IMG]

17. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to see the game and have only seen the highlights. Did they ever question whether Seattle's second goal was offside? It looks to me that Johnson may have been off by as much as Cummings on our non-goal. It also looks like Drew didn't hold the line long enough. If he had, then it is definitely offside.

Was Edu any better in this game than others or is it yet another example that Hill or Akpan should be filling that bench spot?

18. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we took the game over imo seattle had a few counters

but my gripes

no pace on the wings mullan is not a winger or a right mid his more of a center mid.

casey floats around his job should stay in the middle of the field no more being on the right side or left side JUST STAND IN THE FREAKING MIDDLE OF THE PARK WITH YOUR BACK TO GOAL

wynne needs to stop pressing up and just chill outside the box and let moor do all the grunt work.

we really need to teach these guys some ********ing dribble lesson's there is still not enough first touch knock on's skill moves or anything our attack is always the same bullshit

it needs to stop now and forever

trade casey his useless will not get that form back. we need a guy whose pacey strong and great in the air. get harris from portland....

we need to find a nyassi winger

we need to find a 6'4 center back who can read the game and understands just to chill outside our box.

i'm getting sick of this medicore bullshit i'm seeing week in week out

pick a ********ing formation and stick with it.

at this point the supporter's should be managing the team and making trades we could do a way better ********ing job if we fired the entire team and re started.

19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice work, I still wonder if side judge couldn't see and thought Mullan touched it and made offsides call on that. Mullan is the guy way offsides in photo.

20. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I hate to resurrect this thread (mostly because the new bigsoccer ruins the formatting of my tables, but also because I'm not ready to give up on Pareja), but the similar vibes are too strong to resist.

This year's "stats":

Number of different starters through 18 games: 22.
    Most consecutive weeks with the same lineup: 2 (2-0-0 record), (1-1-0 record)
    Most consecutive weeks in the same formation: 3 (1-2-0 record x2)
    Number of different lineups through 18 games: 14
    Number of different formations through 18 games: 5

In addition to those similarities: The Rapids have scored 7 first-half goals and 18 second-half goals this season. I only kept records on one of Clavijo's seasons (which happened to be the same year that Gary took over halfway through), but you'll see through those 19 games of that season, Clavijo's team was very similar, scoring 5 first-half goals and 22 second-half goals. I know that Clavijo's other seasons worked out in a similar fashion, otherwise I wouldn't have started tracking the stats.

As I said, I'm not ready to give up on Pareja. But the similarities have me very nervous. Throw in that we recently traded away a fan-favorite player, and alarm bells are going off everywhere on the sealed vault in my mind where I kept those '06-'09 seasons.

fortcollins and Quinn 33 repped this.
  21. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I think it's incredible difficult to draw any conclusions regarding line ups and formations without considering the injuries. Jason has documented quite clearly, this year is worse then last.

In addition, I don't think it's realistic to expect a new coach to have a 100% understanding of and a commitment to his players and formation.

As frustrated as I am with where the team is now, while I will voice my concerns, I won't draw any conclusions on the coach until well into next year.

Jasonma repped this.
  22. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First goal is just a matter of nobody tracking Fernandez, and Moor not reading the play fast enough to cover the error.

Johnson's goal is an interesting one to watch. Castrillon initially tracks EJ on the corner, but the corner is badly cleared and Castrillon drops EJ to play zonally at the penalty spot. Casey, who vaguely had the far post, stepped out to Johnson. Casey then finds himself on the wrong side of Johnson, but steps out putting Johnson in an offside position. Unfortunately, just as Casey steps Drew drops while vaguely tracking Parke's run and putting Johnson back on side.

Make of it what you will. This is a breakdown that merits daily review for the squad.

23. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It is worse than last year, but I was also not comparing to last year. Back in '08, we had Pablo, Omar and Cooke injured for some time, and a few single-games missed by Ihemelu, Erpen and Kimura along the way (MLSsoccer doesn't keep the game records that far back, so I can't confirm which of those single-games were tactical, suspension, injury, etc...so going entirely on memory).

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are Castrillon and Casey moving to cover Johnson in the first place? I've heard EJ is kind of hot at the moment, we might want to consider giving a defender the responsibility of handling him.

25. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    My memory sure isn't any better :) But last year was bad and if I recall correctly, considered one of the worst years for lost games by starters.

Regardless, I'm not comfortable drawing any conclusions when comparing of line ups and formations between this year and years past.

That's not to say there aren't things I'm not comfortable complaining about*. There are plenty. Fundamental marking on set pieces seems like a valid candidate. Which as has been noted, seems to be a trait inherited from last year.

*I hope that's clear since I stuffed as many negatives as possible into one sentence.