Seattle Reign FC

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by GOALSeattle, Dec 19, 2012.

1. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like I was wrong about Amy running the social media.
    Thankfully, there was another long facebook post today:

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    But honestly, I've never heard of Moda Health Insurance.. It's website is still under construction, but as near as I can figure, it is a start-up "affordable health insurance" that was created to take advantage of the insurance exchanges that are supposed to be set-up due to Obamacare. But hey, all that matters is the color of their money, right?

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The attendance discussion, aspirations, and concerns are really interesting. I'm wondering if Portland has two things going for them that Seattle doesn't quite: (1) the Portland Pilots fan base, a significant part of which is going to be supporting the Thorns (helped by the Sinclair, Kerr, Foxhoven connections), and (2) the Portland Timbers fan base and, related to that, access to that fan base through the Timbers staff due to the Thorns/Timbers common ownership. I initially had wondered whether the Thorns would end up pulling fans away from the Pilots, but now -- and especially after the full house at Merlo for the Thorns/Pilots game -- I think just the opposite. I think each team will contribute to the other's attendance, sort of a synergistic effect. The Washington Huskies have pretty good attendance -- not like Portland's, but still decent. Hopefully a significant number of those fans will be Reign supporters and maybe vice versa.

It makes me wonder whether the next stop for NWSL should be Salt Lake. Although BYU is in Provo, they are right up there in attendance for their women's soccer games, rivaling Portland, plus they have the benefit of Salt Lake's Mormon population. If a Salt Lake team were to have common ownership with Real Salt Lake, plus several players from BYU, we might see some of the same synergistic effects we may be seeing in Portland.

The other two locations that might have similar synergy, that I can see, are the Bay Area (Stanford, Santa Clara, and Cal have a combined average attendance around 3,000/Earthquakes) and maybe Texas (Texas A&M/TCU/Texas Tech/Texas have a combined average attendance around 5500/Dallas probably but maybe Houston) the question being for Texas whether distances are too great for there to be real synergy.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It would be cool to see Salt Lake get a team.
    But they are far enough away from California, Pacific Northwest, and Kansas City, so as of now, they won't get an expansion team. Remember, a franchise has to at least be within a few hundred miles of another franchise, for the league to be interested in expanding there (for traveling purposes). It's why California won't get an expansion team, unless there's two teams there.

However, Salt Lake is within about 500 miles or so from Denver.
    Chicago is exactly about 500 miles from Kansas City (and both of them are in the league).
    So geographically speaking, you may be on to something.

A Colorado expansion franchise (in or around Denver), and Salt Lake, may be what this league needs. Then you can start to break them down into divisions.

Atlantic Division
    Washington Spirit
    Western New York Flash
    Sky Blue FC
    Boston Breakers
    Atlanta Beat (their stadium is fantastic for this league)
    Carolina Cavalry (another great women's soccer area is located in Carolina)

Central Division
    Chicago Red Stars
    Ottawa Fury
    FC Kansas City
    Colorado Excalibur FC (located in or around Denver, logo has a sword, shield, and soccer ball)
    Salt Lake Angels (is closer to Denver than to any of the Pacific Division teams below)
    Dallas Destiny (Texas franchise in Dallas, about 550 miles away from KC)

Pacific Division
    Los Angeles Sol
    Bay Area Breeze
    Portland Thorns
    Seattle Reign
    Vancouver Whitecaps

St. Louis and Philadelphia don't have quite the same enthusiasm for women's soccer as Portland, Seattle, Dallas, Salt Lake, Denver, Kansas City, Chicago, Carolina, Atlanta, Boston, Jersey, Western NY and Rochester & Buffalo areas, etc.

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bay Area Breeze - Didn't Gold Pride say, they couldn't give tickets away to the Bay Area audience2?

If Utah has anything similar to Portland, I'd go with them. They are only 700 to 800 miles from port/seattle and los angeles.

san fran is 400 from south la.

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i may have missed it because i didn't read through the thread. my apologies. but please - if it exists - post the link to the webcast of this game.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Not sure if you mean the game just played or next weekend...

The game with the Thorns will be in HD at www.portlandthornsfc.com.
    If it is like the Timbers reserve games, it will be multiple cameras, replay, good production, and look good if the feed is fed to a tv.

There will also be a radio feed on 970 AM and a stream on
    http://www.freedom970.com/pages/main
    or through apps for mobile devices.

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    Was looking for the first game.

Thnx.

9. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club: