[SDR] New FIFA Rule or Comic Relief from Sepp Blatter

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, Feb 6, 2008.

1. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice discussion on the MLS N&A board about a new rule from FIFA that they are trying to get passed.

Link

Meaning Houston would have to have at least 6 US National team players (at least potential ones). More importantly, Toronto would have to do the same for Canada...and we have 2 Canadian starters on our squad....

[​IMG]
    "Let the games begin"

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    There's a pretty huge difference between being eligible for a national team and being a potential national team player.

3. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the field or just on the roster?

4. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    yeah, doesn't MLS already have a rule like this?

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just that we have 8 I slots. And it's not really clear...maybe on the roster? But having 6 US NT players per US team in MLS = 78 USNT players in MLS. That's a lot of players.

6. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    it would probably help England since we can all see how the big name foreigners on thier big time clubs have helped the national side qualify for major tourneys.:cool:

Houston-no problem, bring it on...Rico, Chinger, ERob, Stewie, Yanni, Davis

hey FIFA-put that in yer pipe and smoke it

7. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

Here is the quote:

"FIFA President Joseph S Blatter made a strong plea in favour of the 6+5 rule, which basically provides that a club team must start a match with at least six players that would be eligible for the national team of the country in which the club is domiciled."

Eligible is much different than actually being on the National Team roster.

8. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    yeah, not players on the team, players with citizenship/whatever in the US.

and MLS says that we only have 8 spots to the contrary? no effect on us whatsoever (except maybe canada's part of it).

9. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Swansea and Cardiff will suck even more now.

10. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the roster would be impossible. A quick math lesson will tell you that. But it does seem as if you would have to actually field the players...or at least have them available on the bench.

I think the rule is ridiculous. Let each league do what they want. If Arsenal wants to field a bunch of French, Spanish, Germans, and Africans, let them. I'm not sure what FIFA expects to gain out of this.

11. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all an inferiority complex towards UEFA.

12. RSCA_TEXAN

RSCA_TEXAN Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    so what does TFC do ? all canadians or americans?

and DC united might have an issue!! they way they are going recruiting foreign players?

and what about chivas USA? where can you find a team of illegal immigrants to play in the US legally ? would be tough.. ( just kidding)

13. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is clearly a tremendous problem with this statement. Eligible for the national team and on the national team are two different things. Totally and completely different.

I think this might have the effect of leveling the playing field in Europe somewhat. Some countries who've had a load of national team players leave for the richer leagues will end up with a few teams strengthened

The players that get screwed out of big contracts are from the Americas. On the other hand, the Argentinian and Brazilian leagues will be damn near unstoppable.

14. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the fact that this will never happen.

In the US it's illegal to discriminate based on your country of origin. So the second that someone loses their job over this, hello lawsuit.

I believe that it's the same in Europe as well.

And who really cares? We had several quality foreigners on the club last year, and I didn't see any real impact.

In fact the Dynamo did more last year to promote soccer in the US than they would have if they had fielded 11 Americans.

15. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now apply what you just wrote about Septic Bladder's proposal to MLS's roster restrictions on domestic versus international players. Compare and contrast the two rules in practice and theory. Sorry, I just had to write that...

Personally, I feel like it may be a mixed bag, some good mixed in with the bad. But deep down it amounts the yearly meddling with the rules like FIA does to F1. Loss of the electronic traction assistance is going to totally alter the season. (As far as I know they've taken away traction and launch control. But they still can't stop Ferrari!) But this isn't the goalie handling the backpass rule change that was the removal of turbos in the '89.