Scouting Report Portugal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    For public consumption:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/23/real-madrid-bayern-munich-live-mbm

tyguy, dwsmith1972 and ImaPuppy repped this.
  2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Aside from that one instant, Pepe has been very good overall.

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think he's a really good defender; I also think he's a clown who will pull this kind of histrionic crap, and our players need to be fully ready for it.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yep.

Just to add to the thread, Coentrao has also been very good, providing a literally inch-perfect (seriously, go watch) pass for Real's goal and defending 1v1 against Robben about as well as he could have.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  5. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah Pepe has been a beast. That play he was an ass, but that was a foul.

6. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ronaldo and Nani both not a 100% after hamstring injuries...the only 2 great attacking players Portugal have.

I'm not too worried about Nani, he'll be well rested and training and playing up until the world cup will help him regain form. Yet Ronaldo already has a lot of minutes on his legs and while he will slowly get better the amount of games playing through it now means it will never fully begin to heal until pre-world cup. Hopefully the 3 weeks after the season and before the tournament are enough to rest up and let it heal completely and not niggle him.

7. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes I joke that we should call up a goon-type of player to piss off Pepe to the point there he gets so made he commits an offense that would obviously lead to a straight red.

Where's Lenhart when you need him? ;)

8. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Jones. Paging Dr. Jones...

dredgfan repped this.
  9. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    Pepe, Ronaldo and Fabio Coentrao were outstanding against the acknowledged best team in the world. If they were the only good pieces Portugal could put on the pitch, it'd be formidable.

10. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was scary. Fortunately they won't have Benzema streaking down to get on the end of those passes. Still, no doubt we will have our hands full.

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    We don't need a goon. Wrestling and fighting with Altidore should be enough...

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepe and Marcelo are two of the biggestt a$$hats playing the game right now. Brilliantly talented individuals, but a$$hats nonetheless. I know the latter isn't Portugese other than his heritage but they are a pair of complete a$$hats. I'm shocked Pepe hasn't been fined for carrying around a fake blood packet in his jersey yet.

I was about to lose it when both center backs were on the ground in the late second half rolling about like they had caught javelins in the groins. Ultimately it's better for the US if Madrid was to go on to the CL final to exhaust CRon, Coentrao and Pepe, but I still can't stand watching Pepe any more than I have to. Douche.

Plus, the guy kills me when I play against RM in FIFA.

13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want Jermaine, Jr. anywhere near Pepe when we play them. His antics might work against a feeble minded ref and get Jermaine a red. Most refs are going to be vigilant in regards to Jermaine's history and will likely be quick to produce a card.

14. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the contrary. I think JJ would be one of the best on our team at treading that line opposite someone like Pepe. You think he hasn't already seen that sort of thing in his career? In fact - Anyone know if they have faced off before? *That* would be a fascinating question for the soccer data geeks here :p

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  15. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I'm not particularly strong at soccer data, but my Google-fu suggests that Pepe and Jermaine Jones keep barely missing each other. Pepe left Porto months before they faced Eintracht Frankfurt in Europa League. Jones left Schalke 04 months before they faced Real Madrid in Champions League.

orcrist repped this.
  16. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Interesting comments here vis a vis what Pepé's temperament might suggest for USMNT tactics. When I see him lose his cool in Real matches, I keep thinking that's what gets EJ a ticket on the 23 ahead of Wondo (as a second striker or depth, I mean, not ahead of Altidore).

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    EJ cast as an agent provocateur?

18. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepe was amazing in Euro 2012. Guy is a beast.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In all honesty, I must admit Pepe is a strong candidate for "Best CB in the World" right now.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo is going to be playing as a central striker.

Basically he is going to try to run behind our CB's all game long. Sweden was mercilessly punished that way.

Their defense is rock solid for the most part.

In midfield we have a little more box to box driving ability but they definitely beat us in possession play.

We are going to have to count on Bradley's runs out of midfield to drive our attack and create for our forwards and wide midfielders.

I hope our defense has a great day or Ronaldo an off day. We are going to need someone like Edu to shield the backline and our fullbacks are going to need to stay back mostly to track the off the ball runs of Ronaldo and company.

Sounds daunting, but not terrible.

21. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting his "antics" aside, Pepe has everything you'd want in a CB. He is tall and strong with good pace and quickness. He has relatively good ball handling and distribution skills. He is aggressive without being a foul machine. Always seems to come up with the key tackle when necessary. Tough. Poised. The total package.

22. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for Portugal, remember that it took a heroic performance from Ronaldo for them to get past Sweden. I like to think we're better than Sweden, though that might not actually be the case.

Should be a tight game if we don't flub it.

DiscoWarrior11, Footsatt and Beazley17 repped this.
  23. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One more crack on Pepe from the Matchcast "73 min: Raphael Varane does replace Pepe, whose removal makes the game 427% more tolerable."

""Pepe clutching his buttock before going off," says Craig Trainor. "I wanted to see him go off because he's a pain in the arse not because of one but I'm grateful for it nonetheless.""

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Meh. The English press always says crap about any player who's not born in England. Those of us who followed Dempsey there, and are following Altidore now, and even Guzan and Howard, realize they rarely praise foreign players. They still talk of Rooney as if he were the best in the world, though.