Scouting Report Portugal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, Ronaldo doesn't have nearly as good of a record at the WC compared to his club form. He's scored 2 goals, one on a PK vs Iran in 2006, and once against North Korea in 2010 (Portugal won that game 7-0). For whatever reason, he hasn't been quite the same player on the WC stage.

2. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Your joking right. To even question Ronaldo being the best player in the world is blasphemous.

3. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Portugal is class compared to the USA.

LGRod repped this.
  4. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has played in 2 WC and has 3'goals that is a good total. In 2010 he was restricted by a very poor manger who didn't utilize him effectively. Ronaldo was great at euro 2012.

5. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    As I noted the sarcasm I think it important to tell you that this is undoubtedly one of the highest points in Portugal's history. We have the best player in the world and will be competing in our fourth consecutive World Cup. Compared to our history, that's pretty damn excellent.

Waliatiger and comoesa repped this.
  6. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats why they play the games! Never know what might happen, the gulf isn't so wide as a win or loss for either team is out the question, sure on paper Portugal is better and should be better, they are in UEFA after all, but were not going to need to bunker the whole game, the US will have its moments in this game, as will Portugal.

7. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

finally someone that is logical

8. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Look, Portugal fans, let me explain what is going on here.

You seem like a competitive bunch, which is great. The problem is that for the last portion of this thread, you've been falling down on the job. This thread is not about "will Portugal defeat the USA?" nor similar posturing. Posting that sort of World Rivalries stuff here is like trying to play petanca on a chessboard.

The competition that you're in right now is "who can post the most informative scouting report about Ghana, Portugal, and Germany, the World Cup group opponents for the USA?" Strengths, weaknesses, little-known facts and tendencies, et cetera. This thread started out well, but lately, it's been looking inferior to, for example, a thread that has greatly improved since its initial struggles: the Ghana scouting report thread.

Praising Cristiano Ronaldo does not qualify as "informative". Kindergarteners in my neighborhood wear his jersey; you can safely assume that We Got the Memo.

gunnerfan7, orcrist, Wessoman and 5 others repped this.
  9. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    um...

he was a kid in 2006 with one of the best teams Portugal ever assembled..deco, figo, Miguel, maniche, carvalho, etc etc..he wasn't the go to guy..

But he was absolutely fantastic.

Evidence? On youtube is the Portugal/france game in the semis...watch it. Possibly Ronaldo's best game ever for the national team...everytime he had the ball he dribbled 2/3 players, thuram throwing himself at the last second to block resulting shots. Ronaldo did well.

Plus vs Holland he was literally kicked out of the game in the opening minutes as the Dutch deliberately injured him..and he STILL made the initial play for Maniche's goal.

England, played with a frozen leg as a result of what happened vs Holland.

Rested vs Mexico, and vs Angola thought it was a freestyle tourney and attempted to dribble everybody:D

2010: Queiroz was coach, our midfield consisted of meireles-tiago- pepe, and simao and almeida were the other attackers.

Simple as.

He had 3/4 players on him every time he had the ball or was in a position to get it, and had zero support due to that midfield/attack and such a defensive approach.

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Ronaldo=Great. Got it.

Do you have any additional insight for us?

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...So, for a variety of reasons, I'm right? It hasn't been Ronaldo that has beaten teams during the WC. Thanks for agreeing with me!

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Portugal might be screwed in attack, as nani looked SO slow today...he;s been out months with a hamstring injury. 3 months might not be enough time for him to regain some semblance of form.

So do what teams usually do when nani isn't on the field..triple team Ronaldo.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In 2010 Portugal had no chance with Carlos Queiroz as manager and had little talent compared to 2014 WC team.

14. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    you implied he's not performed, but in 2006 he was really good, and in 2010 while he didn't score a lot(for various reasons) it wasn't because "he doesn't perform at world cups". It's like ...how would Donovan perform if the usa played like Greece and he had 3 players on him throughout the game.

Not much you can do.

15. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The gulf is significant your right anything can happen. But Portugal talent level and collective team is better no disrespect to the USMNT.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US kind of does play like Greece (e.g sit whole team back and counter), and for someone that's surrounded by much worse talent, LD sure has a good WC record relative to his club career. By contrast, CR does not. Does this mean that he is a bad player? Hell no, and I hope I didn't imply that, but what it seems to indicate is that CR may not play quite as well in WC matches than he does for RM. He may explode for 3-4 goals this tournament, but history doesn't suggest that.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't notice this, FYP. Unless there's a goal that I'm missing...

18. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Did you see him in euro 2012 do you watch UEFA WC qualifiers?

19. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Sequels are never as good as the first, so we may draw this game.

And you only rate Bradley because you are ignorant of our team. It's okay. You'll learn all about it soon enough.

20. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who should I rate Dempsey or Altidore?? Because they were and are awful. Yes I'm not that familiar with the USMNT other then Bradley you have no one of accomplishments who should be rated.

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Ya don't say! Everyone knows this, dude. Picking out the one person out of hundreds who says we are better than Portugal isn't something to argue against. We're not a group of stupid Americans who don't understand the game. The majority here are very in-tune with the situation.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    SMH

Listen if Dempsey continues to show signs of life and rounds into form this summer, then to discount him is ignorant talk. Dempsey is one guy on our team that can play like crap for 89 minutes and rip a game winner out of nothing in the blink of an eye. I will conced that it has been awhile since he scored really big goals for the nats, but he has rounded into form for his club by all accounts.

I will grant that Protugal has more acolades and acoomplished players. But hey Sunderland beat Chlesea this week with the EPL title on the line so stuff happens. I believe that most sides in the world would take our keeper, who when he is on his game is one of the best (top 10) in the world.

So all that being said do you have anything significant to offer other than Portugal good Murcia bad? Oh I almost forgot that guy with Ronaldo on his jersey is a fiarly good player. Thanks for your input.

23. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    So, when does this guy get the banhammer? He's added pretty much nothing to this thread.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am talking about the WC, not WCQ. They are two very different animals.

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it ironic that Dempsey and Altidore are "awful", and yet here this guy is, pimping Quaresma, a guy who's basically a Portuguese Freddy Adu but with 4 goals in his last 8 for Porto. And he's 30, so Adu is younger.

Editor In Chimp repped this.