Scouting Report Portugal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Nate Silver should drop the math in his write ups and simply tweet descriptive statements like: "Barack Obama will win the election, I'm sure of it" or "I have no idea who will advance with Germany, your guess is as good as mine, though I am pretty sure Germany will advance from Group G," people would better understand when he is actually "right" or "wrong."

The other advantage with this approach is people will think he's a cool psychic dude and not look at him as such a nerd.

HouseHead78 and paulalanr repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pepe is a walking red card and can gift the other team the game at any moment. He can also put together several man of the match performances in a row, but danger is always lurking for any team with Pepe at CB. I'm sure you know that.

3. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With Portugal he's far more mature, since he has a far bigger leadership role.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't watch Portugal that much, so I can't speak to that. All I know is that he is an idiot on the pitch. Nothing he ever does surprises me. Jermaine Jones from the USMNT is the same way. He's not as good as Pepe, but he matches him in the stupidity department.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's been a long, long time since Pepe got a red with Real Madrid. He's quite violent, and his fouls are legendary. But he's also very smart, and he can break your leg without even getting a yellow. The last red I remember him getting (with his club) was about two years ago.

6. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Someone's been playing a lot at right back for his Bundesliga team recently. A sign of things to come?

7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you be less vague? I have no idea who you might be talking about.

8. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Apologies- I didn't realize it was that abstruse. Mr. Fabian Johnson. Just wondering which of Johnson or Cameron are more likely to be of use v. Cronaldo.

9. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would almost start Fabian at right wing and Cam at right back. Overload that side defensively and offensively.

exref, Winoman and Beazley17 repped this.
  10. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    USA is not the same level of Portugal at all no shame at that. A loss is too be expected.

11. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I expect a Portugal loss as well. :D

TheLostUniversity and SOCCERMARINE repped this.
  12. portugal_9

portugal_9 Member

May 3, 2005
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think you forgot Quaresma who has exploded over the past few months after it seemed like his career was over. Also, remember this name William Carvalho!

13. portugal_9

portugal_9 Member

May 3, 2005
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Better depth than Portugal, and better overall team?...WTF are you smoking

LGRod repped this.
  14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    That's what they said in 2002.

This thread blows now.

aarond23, Wessoman, Neutral2 and 2 others repped this.
  15. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Stop living in the past Hun.

LGRod repped this.
  16. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Good point, since the sequel is about to drop.

SOCCERMARINE, Wessoman and Beazley17 repped this.
  17. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Really you are going to beat a Cristiano Ronaldo lead team the best player in the world. Ronaldo, Nani, Pepe, coentrao, carvalho, varela and the list goes on no US player is better then that. The only player I rate high is Bradley.

portugal_9 repped this.
  18. portugal_9

portugal_9 Member

May 3, 2005
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I totally agree with you. these people are living in the past. But if that's the case, think of it this way, every time that Portugal has been drawn in a "Group of Death" they have excelled, think Euro 2000 (Portugal, England, romania and Germany) were we won all 3 games including a 3-0 win over Germany with our bench. Euro 2012 (Germany, Portugal, Denmark, Netherlands), again Portugal got thru. So I like our chances agin in a group of death.
    I have a lot of respect for the USMNT as it has shown progression and improvement over the last 12-15 years, however I do not see them as a team with the same caliber as Portugal. With that said however we must realize the ball is round and can roll either way.
    However, my money is on Portugal.

19. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i do respect the USMNT and I like that they improved but they are not in Portugal class right now.

20. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh man, nani looked like he was running underwater today...I know it was his first start since his injury months back but his blistering acceleration was nowhere in sight.

and with Bruma injured and quaresma being a retarded headcase who carelessly loses the ball 3 out of 4 times..:(

21. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It takes time to regain speed for Nani but it will take time.

22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Maybe we are, maybe we aren't. I wasn't the one claiming we definitely would, you were the one claiming we definitely wouldn't. Only siths deal in absolutes.

Horseshit

Better than living in a world where there's only one possible outcome. You must be new to this sport.

23. Ace08

Ace08 Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The correct answer to the question is "second best player in the world"

Sorry homeboy, but the crown goes to the little guy from Argentina...like it or not.

Wessoman repped this.
  24. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His name would be more convincing if it was Guilherme Carvalho....... or Bill Horrsey

25. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this is truly a Golden Age for Portugal..... ;)