Scouting Report: Ghana

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab...are you really suggesting that Brooks, for example, has shown quality over that of Omar Gonzalez?? In the last match we saw them play in, for example??

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    JJ is not a regular starter for Schalke any more, it seems. Nagging injury issues? His knee seems to not have recovered 100%, and while he's given a valiant effort, he's just slowed down some. I don't think we could risk having him as the defensive cover when facing Ghana, arguably the fastest team in the Cup.

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think that people are really, really underestimating what those two are going to bring to the table. For one thing, Dempsey has had his first patch of rough form in like 5 years, and that's down to having no preseason, league transitioning and injuries. That's all that changed between June and now. He didn't all of a sudden flip the suck switch. He'll go out on loan, and then come back home and have 2 months in MLS and hit June in midseason form. He'll be ready. He's at the end of his prime, not the end of his career.

Donovan will do the same; you don't think those two are ready to make a statement in what's probably their final World Cup? He looked really good in the last two Hex games that mattered worth a damn; he's still got the best vision and brain in the pool. I'd rather count on him to create chances than anyone else.

They're still our two best players. They'll be ready. I have more faith in their ability to bring their best than anyone else in the pool not named Michael Bradley.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Remember we are playing 3 games in the tropics. Replacements like Bedoya (who just scored winning goal against Marseilles for Nantes yday) could be a big part of the story if the older guys wilt. Mix and Zusi are in the running.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Questionable to say the least. That PK was total bullshit.

Wessoman and keller4president repped this.
  6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    The guy from Texas and the guy from California should handle the heat and humidity better than most. Fitness hasn't really ever been a thing we've lacked.

But I agree. If we manage these games and don't have to chase them, our bench is better than it was, in theory.

7. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what I'm saying.
    And I'm taking into account how Brooks has played for his club and the couple of matches that he played for the USMNT, moreso his work at his club.
    I do not think highly of Gonzalez, his repeated mental errors combined with his feet made of stone are not good qualities to have for a CB at the World Cup.

8. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless JK puts Cameron at RB.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gonzo can be decent against some sides. Not Ghana. He's just too slow. I'd be for the Besler-JAB pairing for that game only.

Need to see more of JAB with the NT to make sure, though.

10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we play a 4-3-2-1 and play balls over their midfield to Altidore and AJ and Dempsey.

MB stays back.

11. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    #61 The_Dude, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Aren't Germany and Portugal 'athletic'?

Unak78 repped this.
  12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The unfortunate thing is that they both play on the left side of central defense and they tend to play a rather similar game.

13. gunnerstahl

gunnerstahl Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Built from recent WC Qualifier tactical analysis and call ups for 2013 (roster and formation).

[​IMG]

We got this.

14. checkolad

checkolad Member

Aug 13, 2010
    London,putney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Can't see it.

keller4president repped this.
  15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar is not good against speed. This game will be an issue in relation to that.

Based on what we've seen of JAB so far, not sure he's great at this either. Frankly, I'm relying on his reputation alone because so far he's been "meh" for the national team.

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, for white guys. Everybody knows that tactics is how you beat the athletic Black Stars. :rolleyes:

Unak78 repped this.
  17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think Ghana are the most athletic team in the group, for what its worth. That doesn't mean that the other three teams aren't.

18. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Why?

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The American sporting public and commentariot are so color struck. Posters go on about how slow guys like Ream and Besler are even when those players are timed as extremely pacey.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Portugal are the most soccer athletic team in the group. When you consider the technique, pace, and acceleration of the players they've got those traits in spades up and down the lineup. They do come off as very individualistic in playing style resulting in the whole being less than the sum of the parts, however.

West African football is about power, and Ghana have one of the best and most robust central midfields in the international game. They play a conservative game and keep a compact shape very well. They pounce on mistakes and transistion very well. 3 of the four goals given up by the US against Ghana were of the 'dumb mistakes' variety.

Given their power in individual duels, ability in transition, and organization attempting to go toe to toe is tilting at windmills. I'm still scratching my head at Egypt's tactics in Kumasi; #crazyfootballtactics.

Stay compact up the middle. Ghana don't feature swashbuckling flank play. That combined with their compact play, power, and general athleticism nullifies any strategy of building around pace on the outside or up top. Players like Landon Donovan, Eddie Johnson, or Robbie Finley don't make an impression on these guys.

Mexico has beaten Ghana twice; 1-0 in in '06 in the US; and 2-1 in '08 in England. They also pounded Ivory Coast 4-1 in '13 in the CC.

Susaeta repped this.
  21. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he just got there but he needs to find a way to get out of Sunderland in January. He is the type of player where current form is everything. It doesn't matter where he plays, he just needs to go somewhere and score goals. If he stays at Sunderland and only scrapes 3/4 goals, he will have an awful World Cup.

22. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    Doing a little research (may be too little) the teams that have scored and/or beaten Ghana have a withdrawn/supporting forward type of alignment that confuses/pressures the Ghana D, with overlapping/switching/cutting inside midfielders and a four man back line to cover/overcome the risk taking Black Star forwards. The attack minded midfield especially keeps their midfield (their strength) from joining/concentrating on attack. Our 4-2-3-1 may well be what unlocks them.

keller4president repped this.
  23. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. When you look at Ghana, their midfield jumps out at you: Asamoah, Muntari, Agyemang-Badu, Boateng, and of course Essien. Gyan and Ayew are good attackers, but their defense and goalkeepers are just OK. So they compact things and look to beat you on the counter. They are good at it.

Their style has been a difficult match up for the US, because the US has not been historically great at trying to beat compacted defenses. Given the emphasis Klinsmann has put on being more capable of carrying the play, perhaps the US will fare better this go-around. We shall see.

24. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    Comparing a friendly where both teams experimented to a world cup match is insane. Mexico failed to best mediocre African sides like Angola and South Africa at the World cup. In the end, the game against Ghana will be close again.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Angola and South Africa aren't West African teams, chief.