Scouting Report Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Haha, Pepe is without a doubt a pure a-hole, if he wasn't on my national team I would hate him.

2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but considering that Bayern Munich can clinch BL1 title if they win this weekend, they will be able to rotate players to keep them fresh. More of an issue for players on RM who will be battling to win their league as well as CL.

3. JSS85

JSS85 Member

Sep 18, 2009
    they can only clinch the titel this weekend if they win and Dortmund loses and Schalke doesn't win .. but yeah .. if not this weekend and then the next, i wouldn't count on the Munich players not being well rested

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Bayern are 20 points clear in the Bundesliga, and are basically just playing for Champions League . Pep rotates his players, and will keep them fresh just like he did with his Spaniards at Barca.

My hope for Germany is that we end up playing their B team . I think there are a few of the bigger sides we can match up with style wise to make it competitive (in fact none of Holland, Argentina, Italy, France, England , Uruguay, Chile or Portugal truly scare me...I think we could do some damage against them). But I think all off Germany, Brazil, and Spain (when playing a bit more direct like against Italy in the Euro finals) are practically unbeatable for us because of the style match ups and the quality of the attacking players they have to pull it off. These teams are absolute night mares when operating at pace, and under JK with him asking us to play more thoughtfully, they get a lot of chances to break on us

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany A

-------------------Götze----------------
    -----------------------------------------
    Schürrle-----------Özil---------Müller
    -----------Schweini-----Kroos---------
    Schmelzer-Hummels-Boateng-Lahm
    ------------------Neuer-----------------

a Germany B side

-------------------Klose------------------
    -------------------------------------------
    Podolski---------Draxler----------Reus-
    ----------L.Bender------(Khedira)-------
    Jansen-Westermann-Merte-Großkreutz
    ---------------Weidenfeller---------------

A B-team would be better?

6. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'd think so...none of the Bayern players...we've had players on our squad do well vs. Draxler, Reus and Klose in the past...obviously Germany's B squad would still be favored especially since our CB's are pretty mediocre, Jermaine Jones along with Altidore are currently struggling but it'd definitely be preferred

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, for one thing, we better a pseudo-B team already, and B, absolutely! Not that the B team isn't a good side, but the A team can beat anybody. The B team you list is older (Klose), getting less playing time (Podolski) and has a keeper that isn't named Neuer, and therefore might let in the odd goal or two. Not sure I agree with either of your lineups anyway. I don't see Ozil starting in his current form, and I don't think Kroos really operates as a holding midfielder.

This is for any of the German fans (@BimmerBenz95, @ckl26, @White/Blue_since1860 ). Does Germany operate with a false nine? Again, I wouldn't put Goetze as a true nine, at least that is not how he plays at Munich. I understand that on any normal planet Muller, Schurrle, Draxler, Podolski, etc. would be the best strikers on any team, but this is Germany, the land of milk and strikers. I don't see Goetze as the prototypical German front man, not that he wouldn't kill us, but could get suffocated by a good central tandem of defenders.

Editted: should've said beer and strikers

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Germany will probably play with a false nine.

ttrevett repped this.
  9. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reus is not on the B-team. He is a much better player than Schürrle and just because he was injured recently doesn't mean Schürrle takes his place. If both are fit for the WC Reus will start. He doesn't play on the rigth wing anyway. Not for Dortmund and not for the NT. That's where Schürrle plays for Chelsea these days, though.

ttrevett and Neutral2 repped this.
  10. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Schurrle on Germany's bench...just isn't fair

11. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany has some real trouble at the striker position:
    - Schürrle, Draxler and Podolski are not options for the center forward position.
    - Klose is too old and often injured.
    - Gomez was out for much of the season and just injured his knee again yesterday. He might be out for several weeks yet again. Who knows if he'll make the WC now.
    - Löw refuses to call up Kießling. But Kießling has lost his form anyway, ever since scoring that phantom goal against Hoffenheim.
    - For the last friendly against Chile Löw called up Lasogga, but Lasogga got injured in training before the game and hasn't played since then. Might be called up again for WC preparation.
    - So far Löw hasn't called up Volland who's the captain of the U21 and often plays striker there. He would be a very good option.
    - Müller sometimes plays striker for Bayern and is generally quite good at it. But for some reason Löw never plays him there. Müller would also be a threat in the air.
    - Götze sometimes plays striker for Bayern and handles it well enough most of the time. Löw seems to like it, so at the moment all points to him playing the center forward position at the WC.

ttrevett, keller4president and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why? He's a one-dimensional player. Reus will start.

Neutral2, icebreaker and Dr.Phil repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he meant that a lot of countries would love to have a player the caliber of Schurrle on their team let alone the bench.

DiscoWarrior11 repped this.
  14. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    What about Max Kruse? And I don't agree with you that Podolski can't play striker. 46 international goals for Germany says otherwise.

15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kruse hasnt shown to be a better option yet even though hes a fine player. Podolski isnt a CF and bagged majority of those goals out on the left. Löw will probably bring Podolski but Germany have better more dynamic players now.

16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Kroos? Is he likely to play or be coming off the bench?

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At least we took Green away from them.

18. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    #218 icebreaker, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Who knows. Löw has to somehow fit Kroos, Götze, Müller, Reus and Özil in our attacking line- up (with possibly Schürrle, Poldi, etc on the fringes). Someone is going to be left out in any case.

Edit: Spelling

19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor Jogi, I feel for him. All that talent and only XI spots! We really should volunteer to take some of that talent off his hands.

20. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    It's actually not that good for team chemistry, I think. Especially when the club bosses get involved complaining about why this player is/isn't on the team. Though Spain have no problem with that. In the end quality trumps most things, I guess, unless you get players outright revolting like France 2010.

21. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry, completely forgot about Kruse. He hasn't been that good recently and wasn't called up for the Chile friendly. Who knows what Löw thinks of him at the moment.

And yes, Podolski is a striker but he is at his best in a 4-4-2. Back when Germany played that formation he scored most of his international goals. Löw has tried him as a lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 but it didn't work so well and he was rather invisible.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Khedira and Falcao are rushing their recovery. That's not always a good idea, Holden did and look what happened.

24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ckl26 or any other German and/or Bayern fan: Watching the CL game today and wondering when did Lahm become a central midfielder? Is this how he'll be deployed this summer?

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This season under Guardiola: "the most intelligent player Ive ever coached".

Löw copied and started Lahm as 6 in the last games as well. I guess it depends on whether Khedira is available or not. Also possible: it will be decided from game to game: LB/RB/DM. We wont get to know it before the game has started.

ckl26 and ttrevett repped this.