Scouting Report Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, is that a shared view among the GNT fanbase? From what I recall of the JK, Löw partnership, the latter was considered the tactician of the two, and therefore losing JK from the GNT perspective was not a big loss.

2. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with him. But I'm not exactly a fan of Klinsmann's tactical knowledge either.

ttrevett repped this.
  3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes Löw so far failed when it mattered. On the other hand he expects much of his squad in wanting them to play together in different set-ups, in different positions - depending on the opponent. I havent seen any coach changing that often during tourneys. This is the future. The only thing to blame Löw for might be him expecting too much of his players. Most often it worked. Sometimes not.

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #254 White/Blue_since1860, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Not available for Germany testing Poland May 13th:
    DFB Cup final:
    Bayern: Neuer, Lahm, Götze, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Boateng, Müller
    Dortmund: Hummels, Reus, Schmelzer, Großkreutz, Weidenfeller
    FA Cup final:
    Arsenal: Özil, Podolski, Mertesacker
    LaLiga/Serie A season ends May 18th:
    Lazio: Klose
    Florence: Gomez
    Real Madrid: Khedira
    German relegation playoff:
    Hamburg: Jansen, Adler, Westermann

CL final May 24th

5. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Always these joke friendlies. We're gonna see the same C- team again like for that US trip.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What's your best guess at the roster we will see?

7. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Think its going to be mostly Gladbach, Schalke and Leverkusen players. Perhapst something like:

Goal: ter Stegen, Leno, Zieler

Defense: Jung, Can, Höwedes, Mustafi, Ginter, ?

Midfield: L.Bender, Goretzka, Neustädter, Sam, Schürrle, Draxler,

Attack: Volland, Kruse

If HSV don't make the relegation play off spot we still can add Westermann and Jansen.

Plus some of those players that only amass a handfull of Germany call ups in their career to fill out the roster.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. JSS85

JSS85 Member

Sep 18, 2009
    i agree with Sifrit .. idk if everyone sees it like that but many people in germany expect a title from löw this time or to resign since the patients of is pretty much gone .. he failed every time it matters often with tacticle decisions no one really understood ..
    in regard to klinsmann i think it is more like löw sucks at tactics but klinsmann sucks more

9. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Goal: ter Stegen, Zieler

Defense: Jung, Höwedes, Mustafi, Ginter, Jantschke, Ostrzolek, Andreas Beck

Midfield: L.Bender, Goretzka, Neustädter, Sam, Draxler, Herrmann, Hahn, Holtby

Attack: Volland, Kruse

10. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd to tip my hat to the play at 03:25, and the karate chop by Lowe that ensues after the replay.

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some more recent scouting material with what to expect of Germany offensively and defensively. The only meaningful qualifiers against Sweden. I think the US is comparable to Sweden - just without Ibra. The 4-4 game with Germany playing 4-2-3-1 and Klose in the real striker role. 5-3 game with Kruse as false 9. Take a look at Schürrle's last goal ....

12. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    You won't put five on us and we won't put three on you. Well, maybe you'll put five on us.

ttrevett repped this.
  13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt it. The WC is a game of trying to not make mistakes. Very rarely do teams score more than a few goals, even dominant ones.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Jogi continues to have the same problem. Never ending. It is strange how some managers refuse to learn.

He refuses to play an enforcing, disciplined, defensive minded Dmid who is also good in the air.

He has enough fantastic attacking players. If the US sits Jozy between the CB's and has him hold and distribute from the top of the key, we have a shot to nick a goal against them.

15. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    I know. Just a bit of tongue-in-cheek.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany in the last few world cups;
    3-2 vs Uruguay
    4-0 vs Argentina
    4-1 vs England
    4-0 Australia

3-1 vs Portugal
    3-0 vs Ecuador
    4-2 vs Costa Rica

8-0 vs Saudi Arabia

This is just Germany and only the last 3 tourneys. I am sure you can find many more high scoring matches in World Cup if you analyze some of the other "dominant" ones' records.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many games have been played in total for the entire tournament? If you want me to say that I'm wrong, you're going to have to come at me with more than a couple of examples. Perhaps we don't have similar views on what constitutes a "rare"? Only 5 games in South Africa were decided by 3 goals or more (the outlier being a 7-0 thrashing of North Korea by Portugal), out of 42 group stage games. Out of the remaining 16 games in the knockout stages, only 2 games were decided by 3 or more goals, the 4-0 beatdown of Argentina being so rare and so devastating that the commentators (rather than saying "oh, yeah, that happens all the time") said that it was likely one of the darkest days in Argentinian soccer history. 8/58 is 13.79 percent, and there isn't a North Korea to beat on this time. Perhaps the Germans are better at blowing out their opponents, but as a rule, blowouts are rare in the WC.

I'm not even sure why I responded to this, it was a joke anyway....

P.S. only 1 game had 5 or more goals scored by one team (Portugal vs. North Korea), or a whopping 1.72 percent of games played last WC.

18. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because there isn't much pressure on him. I don't know how the DFB did it, but since 2006, national team games have been associated with fun & pleasure, instead of actually winning something. That attitude has only changed after the Euro 2012 and the tactical disaster against one of Germany's biggest football rivals, fueled by the performances of Bayern and Dortmund that led to the German CL final one year later. German football fans want to win again, they're tired of having a good party, playing nice and going out in the semi final when even the last Löw supporter saw, what German teams are capable of IF good coaches like Klopp lead them or individually strong Bayern players actually play with a decent tactic. Löw acted like a little child when some of the press members dared to criticise him for his decisions vs Italy and basically put the blame on Mats Hummels for the defeat. I think that was the first time when people actually started to realise what goes on in the mind of that guy.

I honestly expect nothing in Brazil apart from the usual Löw tournament. A few nice performances here and then, and the inevitable letdown when it really matters. And to be fair - it's not that easy at the moment for him due to several injury problems. However, other coaches would adapt to that, I believe Löw will choose to ignore it and play his style anyway.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'll agree to your premise, but not because it is a World Cup and teams are trying not to make mistakes. Blow outs are kind of rare in football, all together.

20. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just watching Kick TV, and Bayern's CEO tipped the US to advance from the group. Said he has faith Klinsman will take care of business against the opponents.

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Jogi seems to play the best team on paper, not the best team on the pitch.

with the offensive weapons currently on the team, Germany can blow past any team, what they need is a simple anchoring, defensive midfielder and perhaps another strong man at LB. With Kroos, Reus, Gutzee, Mueller, Sherley and schweinsteiger, they can break and score against anyone. Unfortunately, they will also try and shoe horn in Sammy K and Ozil.

Some sacrifices will need to be made, but I would probably off-foot Schuerrle on the right so he can cut in, put Reus on the left, let Mueller roam as second striker and probably move Lahm to holding midfielder. That leaves schweinsteiger to act as playmaker and take your pick of who you line up as striker.

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    4 minutes into that video and I found 3 mistakes. HSV a "notable" club? Well played Fifa.....
    I think Rudi Völler explains Löw's approach at 8:50.

24. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany publishes 2 squads in 22 hours. One for the Poland match, one for the World Cup.

25. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Mertesacker, Podolski, Oezil, Klose, Gomez, Lasogga, Westermann n Jansen(if HSV stay at 16th), Grosskreutz, Hummels, Durm, Reus and all Bayern Munich players won't be available for the Poland match.