Rumor: Scouting for European Downings - The Summer Transfer thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by idreamofpikas, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do, from the little I've seen. Better footballer than Adam, at least but has more balls than Henderson. You need those to plat Liverpool.

2. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    agreed, but maybe that has to do with expectations and price tag rather than moxie? henderson came with the high transfer fee and was dubbed the heir apparent to gerrard... shelvey has just been that bald guy... i can see why henderson has struggled under that, but it seemed to me he started to throw off those shackles toward the end of the season... you can see that he has all the tools...

shelvey, to me, seems slow both in body and mind... that's way i think his ceiling is much lower than hendo's...

3. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shelvey looks an awful lot like a young Gerrard - powerful burst, sense of urgency in the attack, and a good finisher. By no means is he the finished article, but his progress last year was astounding. I think in two seasons' time he will be a very, very good player.

He shows flashes of what he can become but is still inconsistent, which is to be expected at his age.

I don't think you can compare him to Henderson as they're much different types of players, but Jonjo is a lot more dynamic. Henderson is more of a metronome.

Losing out on Siggurdson might be the best thing we could do for Shelvey. And it also costs us nothing.

propeller74 repped this.
  4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that's how I see it. Henderson is more predictable and safe. Shelvey explosive and more atacking And more instinctive.

5. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm low on both.

never walk alone TPK repped this.
  6. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There is more to suporting a team than how much money they spend. Not spending the £70m you want us to does not make us mediocre and there are other ways to improve rather than throw money at players.

Rather than accuse me of negativity explain to me who these world class players are who will guarantee us success in one season. It took City 3 years and hundreds and hundreds of millions to crack the top 4. Name these magical players who guarantee us top 4 rather than constantly coming out with crap like we have to spend big.

StiltonFC repped this.
  7. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shelvey didn't cost £16M like Henderson, but he was a very highly-touted prospect and we beat a lot of clubs to his signature (and for his age, he was pretty damn expensive at £1.7M). He's captained England youth teams and was the youngest player to ever debut for Charlton. He's also their youngest goal-scorer, at just under 17 years old.

Shelvey made his debut for us in the Europa League against Napoli, correct? He really exudes confidence and as Red Bird said, he's very instinctive. I don't see slowness in either his play or his thought - in fact, I think he's very impulsive almost to the point where he doesn't think, he just does. That part of his game is what reminds me most of Gerrard and I really think he has the best chance of inheriting Stevie's boots. You can see that game-changing ability in him (or at least I can ;) ) and he's the type of player with both the huevos and (potential?) ability to grab a game by the scruff of its neck, if you're into those football cliches.

Bringing this back on topic, I really think Rodgers was irked by Gylfi essentially trying to hold the club at ransom. For the price he would have gotten him at Swansea, he would have gladly taken him, but once it got to be back-and-forth between us and Spurs, he saw a player like Shelvey and said why spend money when we've already got a similar player here?

CHSsoccer08, propeller74 and liverbird repped this.
  8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Again, I have to agree.

The player was worth it given the circumstances; I hear that Swansea had actually broken the bank (in wages) to get him. I think we have similar, maybe not yet as good, players at the club. What Liverpool needs are genuine game-changers who will probably cost more than Sigurdson but earn what we would have demanded. Those are the ones we ought to breaking the bank for.

liverbird repped this.
  9. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    Now you're just talking nonsense because you have no point to make. Magic? Guarantee? Typical straw man response. I've already mentioned a few, had you paid attention I wouldn't need to waste my time reminding you of that. In addition to those already mentioned, Navas and Cazorla would be good choices for the wings. Giovinco is another I happen to like.

You're starting to get annoying at this point.

10. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You have mentioned three players, 2 of whom have already joined other clubs and the other stated his desire to stay and win trophies at Napoli.

11. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    That's what happens when you don't buy them, someone else will... :rolleyes:
    Torres too stated his desire to stay at Liverpool a week prior to joining the plastics. I'm officially bored now.

12. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Maybe we should of nipped in for Ronaldo the same summer United sold him to Real Madrid, I mean if its that simple. Do you have any other football manager cheats we can use to convince all players to see us as their first priority?

13. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    Trying to cover up one straw man fallacy with another. Real cute. Still bored though. ;)

14. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Pikas, join the club we are the "Strawmen"

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's completed a grand total of 14 passes for liverpool. I can't remember him having a telling impact on a play, let alone a full game.

16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at Suarezs goal against fulham at the end of the 11 season. Shelvy with an inch perfect pass to send him through on goal.

Shelvey has talent. If given a chance it will show.

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    "If I Hear Moneyball One More Time.......... Summer Transfer Thread II" ?

18. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In the league he's completed 361 passes this season.

He's by no means the finished article but I thought he had good games against Chelsea and Villa and had a brilliant game when were 10 men down to Blackburn plus that assist Newterp mentioned was pure class.

19. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    STill no signings? We want the one we can't have and it's driving me mad. And consider me Still Ill! More Smiths lyrics on a postcard.

20. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets my vote!

Oh, and I liked your title too, Pikas.

el-capitano repped this.
  21. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Whoever starts it can they add a poll on the number of players we'll sign, if any.

22. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the club will sign the number of players that the manager thinks will help
    --liverbird

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Had to get the ********ing last word in didn't ya. ;)

Alright we're done here. :)

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    btw Stilts- looks like our Clint talks have hit a brick wall. ;)

[​IMG]

Boom tish- thank you I'm here all week. :)

poopoobigelow repped this.