Rumor: Scouting for European Downings - The Summer Transfer thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by idreamofpikas, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think the key here is we don't know the whole story. Not too fussed about this one way or the other; if he comes with us fine but if he's off its hardly the end of the world. Plenty more at his level around.

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And for today's roundup:
    We've agreed a 20m fee for Ramirez, and he is keen to link up with his countrymen. I'd be over the moon if this were true.
    We're in for Schurrle and have put in a 12m bid. Great move if it were to happen, especially in conjunction with the move above. In this situation Bellers leaving would make sense.
    We're fighting with the scum for Izaguirre. 6m has been mentioned as the fee demanded by Celtic.
    12m bid for Sturridge. Not a bad deal if it were to happen nearer to the season if we miss out on better targets. But I could see Spurs gazumping all if they haven't signed a striker by August 15.
    Another link with Vargas from Fiorentina. Haven't seen much of him, but from what I've seen online, he has a good build, is athletic, has pace, and actually is able to take defenders on. Seems to have provided and scored a few goals for la viola this year, something Downing is seemingly incapable of doing. And he's left footed.
    We're mentioned in an article linking spurs to Moutinho. Good player, but not worth even half of his 40m buyout clause.
    Another link with Afellay. After seeing him look out of his depth for Barca a few times and absolutely flounder at the Euros, no thank you. Wouldn't take him on a free unless he were to agree to 20k/wk with lots of performance incentives.
    And the one that gave me a nice laugh: we're ready to put in a 6m bid for Mark Davies from Bolton. Don't even know what else to say on that one.

hubbabubba and Twenty26Six repped this.
  3. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Vargas. Absolute thunderbolt in his left leg and can play both on the wing and at LB. Riise-like in that regard (Juaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn Vargas.....I wanna know-oh-oh....how you scored that goal! ;) )

Sturridge wouldn't be bad but I'll believe it when I see it. Love the idea of Ramirez and Schurrle coming, but we'll see.

Re: Gylfi, he's an absolute moron if he chose a questionable management situation at Spurs over the guy who has thus far honed his professional career. Even if AVB is nailed on, does he realize that the guy is an egomaniac? He has no idea how he'll figure into his plans, whereas with Rodgers is as much of a sure thing as he can get at this point. If the difference is 45K/week vs. 30K/week, well ok, that's quite a bit more scratch. But the dude is what, 21 or 22? There are several more contracts down the road for him and establishing himself as a legitimate Prmier League player will do him a lot more good than a heftier wage packet at his age.

Oh well, water under the bridge. Hope he rots on the bench at White Hart Lane while they lose 6-0 to Arsenal.

4. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Spurs signing Gylfi is really risky if you ask me. They're still trying to hold onto Modric and VdV, and the fact of the matter is that if they keep both of them, Gylfi doesn't play, and they'd be spending around 100k a week on another bench player, something they can't really afford.

5. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Not really sold on Vargas considering he's 28 (almost 29) and barely played (due to injuries) this past season. If he was fit and for the right price, he may be an upgrade over Downing but then again, who wouldn't be? And yes, he does have one hell of a left foot: could also provide cover at LB and at times he's been played centrally, as well.

Ramírez would add some much-needed creativity/flair and if we're really after Izaguirre, does that spell the end for José Enrique or does that just mean more depth at LB?

6. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    why isn't everyone jizzing and/or moaning about a concrete link in the times about our interest clint dempsey and the 10 million we have to pay to get him?

7. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I think Northcroft is taking a stab in the dark. The only player we've been genuinely linked to this summer is Gylfi so journalists are just going to link us to other goal scoring midfield alternatives hoping to strike an exclusive.

8. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    Because unless I see someone in Anfield holding up a Liverpool shirt/scarf I hardly give a sh1t?

CHSsoccer08 and ScholesyLFC repped this.
  9. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    :
    :):)

11. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its sort of depressing that it seems as if we have no game plan in the transfer market.

13. CHSsoccer08

CHSsoccer08 Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leaking targets and shortlists to the media so we can all read about it is not indicative of a plan. Let us give the new regime an opportunity to actually carry out some business before we assign them the label of having no plan.

14. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    Just because they don't splash it on the media that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not asking them to leak information - but numerous other clubs have already started doing business and locking down talent. Again - I fully understand that we could be doing this behind closed doors - but apart from Sigurdsson - there hasn't seemed to be any concrete interest or advanced talks.

I say this from the perspective as well that with a new manager, with a new playing methodology that it seems it would be imperative to have new faces signed up early so that they can acclimatize to the team.

That and we have a competitive game in roughly 1 month in the Europa League.

16. CHSsoccer08

CHSsoccer08 Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand all of that. Here is hoping we all have some news to enjoy soon.

I can't find the press conference transcript, but I recall Rodgers talking about an important lesson he took from his tenure at Reading being the importance of making changes in a gradual fashion. He looks back on his poor performance as the result of trying to install his system from day one and not taking into account the strengths of current personnel. I think the changes may be a bit more gradual than the pundits expect.

I for one am relieved that Rodgers has not made a series of moves in a rush after his appointment. Overpaying for players who may not be up to snuff is a habitual offense made by newly appointed managers through out football. It also can hamper the team's ambitions for years to follow (see Joe Cole).

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Enrique played well through December, then really hit a wall. As the only real alternative at the position, was it tiredness or complacency? In either case, does it hurt to have somebody behind him? Pranjic and Poulsen are both free alternatives to Izaguirre, and provide experienced cover. There are certainly options we can look at there.

18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And in the only 'new' rumor for us today, we're looking at Hugo Lloris after Lyon's president said he may move on. This may be worse journalism than the "Dempsey to 'pool" links...

19. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I just mean it as we have the "Dempsey discussion" every window for the last 8 windows and it begins by a mere poster's suggestion that we sign in... Now that there is an actual link, in actual ink, in an actual newspaper, there's hardly a peep... I find it funny... I'm actually glad it's not happening because I'm sick to death of the Dempsey discussion and, as I've said before, I loathe the player..

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm actually glad that we're dodging the Sigurdsson bullet. I wish Rodgers would spend a bit more looking at what we already first before splashing out the cash. For example, there may be no need for Sigurdson if we use Shelvey a bit more nor would we need Mark Davies from Bolton as both do not really improve us beyond where we currently are. And we're behind.

21. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    But...But,,But Dempsey is the best player in the whole wide world. :D

22. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree on this. Was also watching CAM Christian Eriksen as he'd been linked with Liverpool earlier, neither really stepped up this summer...

23. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the time to put in for Dempsey has passed. but he would have been a far better option than Charlie Adam or Stuart Downing when Liverpool punched their tickets, and cheaper than Downing, almost certainly, not that Dempsey would have been the same type of player than Downing...

Twenty26Six repped this.
  24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm not sure thats true. Apparently we were interested in a fair few managers, it makes sense that we appointed someone who thought they could achieve with the current squad rather than appoint somone who would need to make wholesale changes.

I could understand our interest in Siggy as, a month ago anyway, he was a quite cheap package, but its pointless making grand signings until Rodgers knows about the future of some of the detritus in the squad.

25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this may also be true.