Scotland's possible new format

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by JasonMa, Jan 8, 2013.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night Queen of the South (barring disaster, soon to be Scotland Division 1) reached an agreement with the city of Dumfries to replace the grass at Palmerston Park with artificial turf this coming offseason. Palmerston was already considered to have one of the nicer pitches in the Scottish leagues, but this will ensure the on-going suitability of the surface for future use in light of the weather issues Scottish leagues have seen in recent years.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next they will go to a spring-fall schedule... Blasphemers!!!

Jasonma repped this.
  3. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOAH!!! Last time I checked Scotland were in Europe and last time I checked European clubs NEVER use artificial turf as grass magically grows over there.

This must be a lie, just like the lie that Young Boys use artificial turf as well along with a few more Scandinavian leagues.

HailtotheKing and Jasonma repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that is a fair compromise, play it in winter to avoid the heat months in Qatar, the leagues that want to take a break for the winter and finish the season in June or July.

They can also use it as a trial run if they like it then maybe do it more in the future.

BTW the Germans already take a few weeks off in December right? So this would be like Denmark with a long winter break and then they play the second half of the season.

Hey maybe they will go Apertura / Clausura like Argentina.

6. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant wait for that to happen and then all the Euro fans will come to BigSoccer and make thousands of threads about how MLS NEEDS to go to an Apertura/Clausura league.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well by Euro fans you probably mean mostly EPL fans, and unless they go apertura/clausura that won't happen.

Remember when many of them say "Europe" they really mean England.

The Green Mushroom repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP :D

JG repped this.
  9. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ya, I forgot... the Golden Saying.

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Look s like Scotland has agreement to the SPL running everything with the 12-10-10-10 divisional structure remaining in place. The biggest change seems to be this:

So if approved this would be an expansion of pro/rel in Scotland.

11. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012

no we mean Europe since there is very little difference between England and the rest of Europe structure wise.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You mean other than Belgium, who uses playoffs. Or Greece and the Netherlands, which use playoffs to determine some or all of their European teams. Or Scotland, who's considering instituting playoffs. Or the leagues that have winter breaks versus those that don't. Or those that play in the winter versus the summer.

But other than that, yeah, very little difference between England and the rest of Europe structure wise.

13. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Greece or Netherlands do not use playoffs to determine league champion. Playoffs to decide CL slots is a good idea.

Scotland are not considering instituting playoffs. You are misunderstanding what they mean by playoffs. They use the term playoffs in the promotion/relegation context.

Belgium does not use North American style playoffs to decide league champion. They take the top 6 at the end of the season and the play a continued round-robin and the club with the most points at the end wins the league.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I never claimed that they were used to select a league champion or that they did it in the North American way. I claimed that their structure differed from England's, which they do. So when people say "Europe" the assumption is they mean "England" because I doubt they are comparing it to Belgium's playoffs for example.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the point is that they are not the same as in England, so you initial post is incorrect in terms of

England = Europe.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    all of the football leagues in Europe have single table with league champion. So no, when we say single table/league champ we DO NOT mean England. We mean Europe.

Heck, i'd rather see the Belgian system in MLS than the EPL system. The Belgian system is not a North American style playoff. They take the top 6 from the single table and carry over the points and then each team plays each other twice. The team with the most points at the end is the league winner. It's still single table/league champ.

17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just pointing out that you moved the goalposts. Your original posts was that there was very little difference between England and the rest of Europe in regards to structure... The problem with your comment is that there is quite a bit of variation across Europe. Some leagues play a triple round robin instead of a double round robin. Scotland splits their table near the end of the season where the bottom teams play each other to avoid relegation and the top teams play for league championship. Other leagues have playoffs between the bottom of one division and the top of another to determine if there will be relegation or not. Some have playoffs to determine European play. Some have winter breaks, others play a spring to fall schedule.

HailtotheKing, JasonMa and BrodieQPR repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you change the standard-usage definition of that statement so that this

qualifies (Scotland too). :rolleyes:

But please, go ahead and keep moving the goalposts.

19. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012

no I didn't.

When I say we should adopt the European model i'm talking about single table/league champ + pro/rel. This is what they all have. I've never gotten into the specifics of the structure (split table with round robin, promotion playoffs etc)

20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By very little difference, you mean .... all have pro/rel, right ? Because that's pretty much it in terms of structure.

So then you admit that "Europe" and "England" actually do differ structure wise.

But you said there was very little difference structure wise, which you were shown isn't true.

JasonMa repped this.
  21. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh and they speak different languages too but the over all point is European Leagues have more in common with each other in terms of structure than they do with MLS.

Also was entertained reading all the comments about the Welsh league. Funny stuff.

22. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How on Earth do you consider Belgium and Scotland's system "Single Table", when there are very, very clearly more than one table involved in determining the champion?

JasonMa repped this.
  23. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette

How is there very, very clearly more than one table? Now it's obviously true that teams only play teams from their "half" of the table in the second half of the season, but given that results from the first half are not removed in the second half, I think it's reasonable to call it "single table" even if it's not a "conventional" single table where each team plays each other team the same number of times. And if course you can get mid-table incongruities with such a system:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/table/

Now had the Scottish Premier League split for the second half and thrown away the scores/points from the first, I'd agree with you.

24. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure hope you answer your question in the very next sentence. That'd make my life easier

blacksun repped this.
  25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette

Which doesn't answer it at all...