Scoring is AZ: Jozy at Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a bow son, I mean that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4y9FeBzCpA&feature=related"]Michael Essien ~ Arsenal vs Chelsea ~ 06/05/2007 - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  2. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a great goal, Jozy. Now keep doing it.

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Damn just saw the goal. Looked exactly like the goal in the gold cup.

5. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    This one is way better IMO.

6. SoccerBiz

SoccerBiz Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree. I watched this goal live and the whole time I was thinking what is he trying to do here? When he turned to shoot I expected him to either shank it or blast it over. Anybody that has played soccer could tell you a large majority of a time when you make a turn like that you are off-balance and likely to completely shank it. He was balanced, accurate, and the skill was immense. I guess he could have also just been lucky :)

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's probably a combination of things. He seems to have the manage'rs confidence which goes a long way, and of course the more you score the higher your confidence is going to be.

He's also got a fresh start there so maybe that combined with a little more maturity has carried over to training.

Also, I agree with the poster(s) who say he's getting more reps with this team because of their style of play and the league they're in. It's not rocket science: The more touches you have in a game and the more shots you're able to get off the higher your odds of scoring.

That's not to say I think he's playing in a crap league. If anything, at this point in his development as a forward this is EXACTLY the kind of team/league he needs. Young strikers need games, touches, reps. He's getting all of that. If he makes the jump to a more difficult situation in a few years he'll probably be able to make the difference in a game when there aren't as many chances.

Guy needs reps. That's it.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy is finally on a team that wants him, and that is playing against weaker competition. The only team that ever wanted him was Hull, and they were a horrible team in the Premier league. So combine the players around him being terrible, with going up against top class opposition at what was he, 20 or 21? Of course he would struggle. We all know what happened at Xerex, Villareal and the politics at Bursaspor. He is finally playing on a team that wants him, it's got his confidence up and obviously the results are showing.

10. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I liked about that goal was how effortless the shot looked for Jozy. That's the athleticism that had everyone salivating over him, that he still possesses, and that he is still learning to unleash.

11. unclesparks

unclesparks Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who were those guys standing around him wearing those red and white shirts while he was running and fighting for the ball? Oh yeah. Teammates. Amazing what you can do when you aren't the lone striker forced to fight through the entire defense alone.

Now, if they handed Jozy a bo staff and said "take out everyone in your path" then I wouldn't fear him playing alone. There aren't too many defenders big enough to withstand that onslaught.

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. It was one of those quick release shots with about half the wind-up you'd expect, given the power. What's nice is it's not just athleticism, but also technique, that led to the quality of the shot. Which is your point, I guess, about him learning to use his own natural strengths.

13. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I said it before in this thread and I'll say it again. Jozy very well could shatter MB's scoring record this season. I don't want to get too crazy, as we're still very early in the season, but 30 goals in all competitions seems pretty realistic at this point.

14. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fanboy!!!

:D

15. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point. Many on here wanted to write him off by the age of 19 and ignore all outside factors.

As koko said, things have come together for him at AZ and the results are showing.

Ever since Hull City, I have always believed that his biggest (not only) issue was an apparent lack of confidence.

16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore was bit unlucky not to score a few more more at Hull.

17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That is very true. He had a ton of chances but he just couldn't put them away. He didn't play as poorly as people think. I watched as many games as I could when he was at Hull and he at least looked like a threat but with the terrible service he was receiving, it was just a match made in hell.

18. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You clearly haven't followed Jozy's career very closely. He's always had that ability. The quality of his chances is making a big difference in his scoring. At Hull for instance, he was down in the trenches every game trying to scrap for a sniff at goal. There's lots of plonkers that might have scored more goals with Hull; but none of them can score one like he did yesterday.

19. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree very much with both of these comments above. The Malmo defender gave him a little space, but he had to hit that with a great deal of control to hit the net given the positioning of the defender. Very nice strike.

In addition, it was good to see him create this opportunity pretty much on his own. That's one of the areas of his game that, if improved, will help push him to a higher level.

20. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was precisely the type of shot he made against Brazil in the U-20s which impressed me so much back then. That one wasn't from as far out, but it was also with hardly any windup, and then suddenly, like a bullet. That could be one of his greatest weapons of his career if he learns to harness it.

21. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Still part of what the one writer called the misleading situation of him scoring "too many goals".

22. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahem on the 14th:
    It's really true, he has a great shot and has that ability to really get it on goal, in my experience playing low level and watching all levels, that's just rare.

23. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Where's video of this goal????

24. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go

1 person likes this.
  25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    When he was with the Red Bulls, he had an incredible near post shot that beat more than one keeper. Never saw it for Hull, villa or in Turkey.

During the youth WC he had a wicked 18 yard across the body shot. Absolute rocket.

I have been wondering for the last 3 years where this damn thing went. Now I guess he found it again.

Spectacular goal.