Scoring is AZ: Jozy at Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect so. The BS curse continues!

out of curiosity, how many league games has he played in since the new thread title?

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it has only been one league game.
    And of course there are the 2 friendlies.

3. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah.

Well you can hardly blame jozy on the 2 friendlies. I think he only had 1 real opportunity and he hit side netting after fighting through 2 defenders. Service was truly lacking in those matches :D

4. LinksterAC

LinksterAC Member

Jun 30, 2008
    San Diego
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen.

5. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    If it continues a couple more weeks we can change it to "Scoring not AZ: Jozy at Alkmaar" and see if that gets the goals flowing again.

6. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    To me that's just illogical. Good players have always had to play friendlies. This isn't new. To act like he's been wronged seems crazy. No player is only free to leave his club for internationals. Plus it's a new manager. How does he expect the team to learn a completely new system if they dont' get players together?

I didn't hear Mancini complain about sergio Aguero going all the way to Bangledesh for an Argentina Friendly.

A manager can hate all he wants. But to rant about it like it's something that's new, or like he's been wronged i find crazy. This happens every year and barely anyone complains outside of the regular, not liking fall internationals. I get that. I think the august ones are stupid. But to be all bent out of shape to me is out of order and he has no leg to stand on in my book. And i pray Klinsmann doesn't become a puss and stop calling jozy in. He needs the work and the team needs to gel as much as he needs to gel with his club team. And honestly, it's one weekend. Hell if he was fit i'd have called him in for the other friendlies.

7. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    That's been a problem for him at club and at country for a long time. Didn't get it at Hull much. I'm hoping his club situation will just give him a lot of chances and that confidence that comes with scoring. My one concern about him is i'd love to see more goals that show his versatility and ability to score with his feet. Like the goal he had in the gold cup, his finish in the spain confed cup game, and some early goals with Red Bulls. Also his first at Villareal and Hull (a free kick). I think because he's big there's a tendancy to just want to play him as a big lumbering high ball winner. I don't think he's remotely the finished article with his feet but he does have talent. So when i look at his goals that i'm hoping he'll score and i'll be looking hopefully to see some truly classy finishes some times in addition to the typical headers off crosses. Man of the great big strikers like a Drogba, Ibra, even Klose are also good with their feet.

tangent ahead:
    But on the topic of service, that's been a real problem for the u.s. for a long time. I think losing donovan out of the middle meant they lost a lot of creativity to play along with Torres. Plus having Dempsey in his first game i don't think helped. It was new and i don't think they remotely pressed the way Klinsman asked them two. Meaning they didn't win the ball in the other teams end as much. Plus the wide players were had off games. I heard clint say at the end of the game they were playing a 4-3-3 which blew me away as they were so deep at times i and so few players supporting the attack i thought it was a 4-5-1. But if it was a 4-3-3 is shows there is much work to getting that system down and providing the support to strikers and attacking and defending in as a group. Sorry of the tangent. Didn't mean to get this nat team tangent. just wanted to comment. Back on club just hoping the form continues.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Waiting on that hat-trick :D

9. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    awsome goal from jozy

10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need an [R]. But since its been mentioned::eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWIVLDaP6U&feature=player_embedded"]21' Doelpunt Jozy Altidore, AZ - Malm? FF, 1-0 - YouTube[/ame]

11. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Boom! That is what i'm talking about. That's the sort of thing i meant above. Show that versatility Jozy. Be more then a big man. Prove that you can do more the "hold up the ball." I like.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWIVLDaP6U&feature=player_embedded"]21' Doelpunt Jozy Altidore, AZ - Malm? FF, 1-0 - YouTube[/ame]

12. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    Verbeek's only reason he was pissed off was because he already had agreed with Bob Bradley that Jozy would not get the call. He's a bit of an old school kinda guy "words a word" and that kind of stuff.

At Heerenveen Verbeek was not really annoyed but more amused by the fact that Michael Bradley flew for hours after an international game and then went straight to the training field instead of going to bed or resting. So it's more an honor kind of thing for him. (Verbeek is being considered a pretty weird guy over here anyways)

13. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think they just taught Jozy how to shoot from 25 yards out or is he just more confident now?

14. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just curious if that goal counted as a real one or not. Can one of the people here tell me if that one counted? Can we add it to his total?

15. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I think he' finally on a team that maintains possession and allows him more opportunities. T

16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hit one from similar distance in the GC.

17. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Not real. If it was any faker, we'd be talking Pamela Anderson... And didn't you hear the announcer shouting goal before it hit the net? Scripted.

Fantastic shot Jozy!!!

1 person likes this.
  18. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus it's against Malmo so it doesn't count. It has to be against a certain quality of opponent to count and this one doesn't meet that criteria.

Leander Schaerlackens or whatever is so right. He's gonna score too many goals this year - but none of them are gonna count.

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of the goals count as full goals because they were all scored in the Netherlands and therefore meaningless. However if we add up all the partial goals we can now credit Jozy with one full meaningful goal.

20. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a hit son!!!

What a hit!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  21. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Exactly. I heard that Messi didn't count any of the goals he scored against lower level opposition in the Kings Cup or against teams that were eventually relegated from La Liga, because they didn't meet the criteria. That's why Ronaldo beat him for the scoring title.

22. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    absolutely sublime goal.

23. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Bob's long gone. He should adapt. But i also think there is a different attitude toward travel in europe. People fly in the U.S. Four hours and you're just glad you had a direct flight. Hell last month i got up at like 6, flew 4.5 hours, got a snack then went for a 6 mile run as my daily work out. Regardless in places like england where everyone doesn't travel by air all the time and smaller european countries maybe a hours of plane travel are just uncalled for.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a ten hour plus flight from Amsterdam to the west coast. No coach is happy to see their players do twenty hours in a plane over the weekend, I can guarantee you that.

25. LinksterAC

LinksterAC Member

Jun 30, 2008
    San Diego
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goal was sick.

Guy is turning into a real threat from distance. People will have to start respecting that shot, and he will make them pay off the dribble.

What a killer shot.