Scoring is AZ: Jozy at Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord that article from Leander reaches a new level of stupid.

2. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This god damn it this.

3. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was mine....I admit to being a bit on the dry side, but I thought it was chuckle-worthy, at least.

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was anybody expecting him to be available for qualifying?

Imagine that, a misunderstanding between a German and a Dutchman...

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That typically ends up with someone warming up Panzers and Stukas

6. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More likely the Dutchman spitting on the German and getting sent off...

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is why Verbeek was so pissed at Kilnsi. From ESPN,

If Jozy Altidore's club coach wasn't happy with Klinsmann before the Belgium game, here's hoping he wasn't watching ESPN's telecast. According to sideline reporter Rob Stone, Altidore -- who recently returned from a hamstring injury suffered during the Gold Cup -- limped to the U.S. dressing room at halftime before being replaced by Juan Agudelo for the final 45 minutes. Klinsmann told Stone his forward "didn't have the legs" to continue.

That might not sit well with AZ Alkmaar boss Gertjan Verbeek, who reportedly had an agreement with former U.S. coach Bob Bradley not to call in Altidore for these games. Of course, Klinsmann had yet to see Altidore after leaving him off the squad that faced Mexico last month and had every right to select him for a game on an official FIFA match day. Still, letting Altidore skip the Costa Rica game, in which the 21-year-old played just 63 minutes and which fellow veterans Steve Cherundolo and Clint Dempsey were allowed to miss, would have been less risky.

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm totally with Verbeek on this one. Jozy was/is still recovering. There's no need to fly him to the US and back to Europe within a few days.

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. Jozy should have stayed in Europe. Let Agudelo/Bunbury/Pontius have the Costa Rica game.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't feel that bad for Verbeek, especially because the second game was in Belgium. The Low Countries are tiny, so by definition Brussels is a stone's throw from Alkmaar. Jozy has been back in Europe since Saturday and played 45 minutes on Tuesday.

It's not that bad. Klinsmann has a job to do and if he wants to have any hope of pulling off a new formation, he needs his key players to gain experience in the system.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, Klinsmann should have just called up one of the other quality forwards we have to take his place. Oh.....never mind.

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^ this, and it got him further down the fitness road

13. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is one reason that Verbeek might has in mind that could explain a lot about Jozy's career. Jozy has never seemed to have great endurance. Verbeek may have been implementing a training schedule for Jozy to make him an honest to goodness 90 min player. Maybe that is why he's had so much difficulty with other teams, that is, they came to see that, if he played, there would have to be a substitute for him in almost every game. No coach wants to be put in that position. Is Jozy a 90 min player or not? I think not and that Agudelo will supersede him because of that.

14. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Agudelo is a long way away from surpassing Jozy. I'd still like to see them play together. I really think they can compliment each other well.

15. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just happy Verbeek cares what Jozy is doing. It's refreshing to see him actually in someones plans.

16. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Only if he's scoring, you see. European football is a ruthless business. You think if Jozy had 0 goals, Verbeek would be saying anything? Nope.

By the way, this is a Jozy thread and he started/played 45 minutes yesterday in a 4-0 win.

17. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the match report Jozy was on the field for all 4 goals although he was not mentioned as being key in the build up to any of the goals.

Sounds like Verbeek took him off to rest with a 4-0 lead, not punitively.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was involved in the 3rd goal, but peripherally.

I think it's good that he got some rest.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZ is 2nd in the league after 5 games. 2.4 pts/game, 2.8 goal scored/game, and 0.6 goals conceded/game.

20. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    if the guy doesn't want a guy to get called in don't sign an international. Klinsmann is doing his job and he should call him in as long as he's fit and it's a valid break. he's one of the better forwards in the pool right now and you can't expect a team to go three games without their players. Hell i thought it was stupid not to bring donovan to the second game. When Jozy's with his club fine he should be committed but that shouldn't prevent him from playing with his national team during valid breaks. He wasn't injured. He was fit. And sorry, it's just a fricken plane ride. He didn't have to run a triathalon.

21. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The games were non-competitive fixtures though. Managers hate it when their players get called in for rather meaningless friendlies (ie. against CR at the HDC). But if it's a qualifier match, then they have no real standing to argue.

IMO, AZ's manager had every right to be angry at the situation.

22. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how are you ever supposed to get a team integrated for important matches if you can only call them in for important matches.

23. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manager's don't have to be reasonable. National team coaches don't have to, either. Taking it public makes him look a bit whiny, but that's about all.

24. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore hasn't scored since this thread started. Anyone else have the irrational suspicion that we Jinxed him with the thread title? :eek:

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'm sure of it. This was a terrible idea.