News: Saturday, April 19, 2014

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Apr 19, 2014.

1. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [​IMG]

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Who is this?

4. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .....uh....Yep.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt that he's still got something to offer, but I don't want to see any more aging guys that can play maybe half the minutes in a season being paid $2M a year. There are so many younger up-and-comers that I'd rather see the league put money into than a guy who, while great and a big name, is well past his prime. I imagine that the league, at this point, sees it that way too and wouldn't put that much money down. Now, if he were willing to play for $500,000/yr, then I can see that. But it looks like he's been on $2M/yr in Sydney, so I doubt he'd drop that much. Probably rather retire.

6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to google search the image to figure it out myself. Alessandro Del Piero

7. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have looked deep into my crystal ball and have Magic Johnson as the new owner of Chivas. They will build a stadium and it will be located in LA as part of the USC stadium renovation, using state of the art downsizing technology. Some will say it's Magic...................

JoeCelt repped this.
  8. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    He wants to continue playing but if he wants to stay in Sydney he'd have to take a wage cut. He sold over 70,000 shirts world wide during his stay here, increased our home attendances by 40%, increased attendances at away matches and boosted TV ratings. Has been great on the field too but declined slightly this season. To fit him under our cap we'd have to offer him something like $200k-300k. $250k in Sydney or $500k in the US - I think he'd jump at the US opportunity. Whether a club would want to invest that kind of money in a 40 yr old, I don't know.