News: Saturday, April 19, 2014

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Interesting that Chivas might have had a buyer in the wings all along..

3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Fiosfan, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  4. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    you sound surprised??- everything that we have seen over the past 8 years has been well-planned and built for success bu MLS HQs... probably more than even the MLS execs could have dreamed of, so i have not doubt that the ducks are all lined up to move chivas to committed, well-pocketed owners who will make the move to a new market (probably downtown LA) a success

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    MLS will always be greedy, incompetent, rash and clueless to some no matter what. Garber will always be a greedy, money grubbing despot.

No different than the clowns who still believe a US player can only be worthwhile of he plays in Europe, or is autmoatically superior, or only matters if he achieves in the almighty hype machine that is tbe EPL.

These factions get smaller every year, but they will always be there in some form.

Len, Revolt, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of which do I understand.

MLS does in fact do whatever it can to make money but we're not talking the NBA here, where the owners want to make $100 million each instead of $80 million. Most MLS teams have to work their asses off to break even, many are not accomplishing even that and the ones that are managing it aren't exactly lighting cigars with $100 bills.

But people insist on acting like they're so many Robber Barons, "Those bastards! Doing things to make money!"

Somehow the fact that if they stop doing things aimed at turning a profit the league will go out of business escapes a lot of people.

As for Don Garber, the man is on a salary. He may get a bonus of some kind but it's not like he's personally wringing every last dime out of soccer in the US to enrich his own ass. He was hired by and is paid by the owners to turn a profit so they can stay in business. If he doesn't do just that he'll be fired and they'll find someone who will. Nothing will change.

Why can't people understand that?

Padinho1989, Len, PTFC in KCMO and 5 others repped this.
  8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some might be cynical enough to suggest that MLS bought out Vergara at this time for that very reason.

JasonMa and Bill Archer repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody we know??

The "MLS is buying it to give it a good scrubbing to get the stench of Vergara off it and thereby increase both it's value and it's viability" crowd on BS got this one dead right.

I don't recall much of anyone suggesting that there was a buyer waiting in the wings, but it's not exactly a shock. MLS is not a seat-of-the-pants kind of deal. They actually do many things for real reasons.

But don't tell anybody.

10. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Most likely.
    I would've been more surprised if there wasn't a buyer lined up already.

12. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    why the dance around with league taking ownership instead of directly selling to whoever the new potential owner?

13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure hope not. Let him retire in Australia.

Soccerglue repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Garber stated at the initial press conference that they already had a couple parties interested in the team. That's why I never bought into the whole "what if there's no buyer in 2015/contraction/relocation" panic.

Garber didn't say, and I didn't guess, that the potential buyers were already trying to buy directly from Vergara - but the tone the league set at the time indicated that there was plenty of viable interest.

Bill Archer repped this.
  15. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the sale to MLS was critical to divorce the lawsuits from MLS/Chivas and keep them with VergaRA.

16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but they could settle those easily and cheaply any number of obvious ways, and they should.

17. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    I'm sure there were a few reasons. In the article itself MLS FO did mention "clean up the mess a little".
    We'll probably find out more after the official announcement is made.

18. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of A-League football, I can say that he still has it . . . I just don't think he can play a full 90 in MLS for any consistent basis. He'd be phenomenal off of the bench for any club but who would pay DP money to a 30-60 minute player? I'd love to see him take a loan to MLS for a few months to stay in shape during the long A-League off-season an play one more season in the A-League. He is still very entertaining to watch.

19. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The new owners will need a year to get their plan together. Finding the right marketing formula is not easy. Getting trademarks and finding the right people takes time and effort that the new owners would not have. Given how dismal Chivas was last year any owner going in would have had stamp out too many fires. Nobody can trust Vergara to run it anymore and the man himself didn't want to shoulder the costs anymore. Ergo the league.

21. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn MLSLive went dead on me, anyone else same issue?..

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep:

23. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What if the NFL in the 50s signed a contract with a tv network that showed "snow"
    on football Sunday . Here we are. Heads should roll at MLS live

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yes, because every time something doesn't work as intended, someone should be fired.

Excellent strategy.