Santos Futebol Clube, Parte IV [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by Bakaman, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't want a flop from Colo-Colo who couldn't solidfy a place elsewhere other than Colombia. MacNelly had one good game vs Bolivia. He was awful vs Peru. Head over to the Colombia forums and you'll see most people think he'll eventually lose his spot to Quinteros. BS Colombia is pretty bad too. When Cristian Borja was on Fla, they were trying to convince me he was going to be the next big striker and it was everyone else's fault that he wasn't doing well.

Furnaccio - What your opinion on him?

2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think he's one of Pekermans favorites m8.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Every coach has their odd favorites. The fact is that Torres is a primetime "cagon." Or are you going to tell me Guarin isn't a better player than MacNelly?

4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Big Soccer Brazil would start Coutinho over Neymar so whats your point? The Quintero kid is about 130 pounds and drifts out to the wings where they already have Rodrigues , and Cuadrado.

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    different positions.............

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He's the one that's putting him on the bench though. If you were to put Guarin in, you'd take Torres out.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A couple of outsiders who said Neymar should be benched doesn't equal the majority of BS Brazil. And who suggested Coutinho over Neymar?

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

is he? lol

9. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Quintero always drifts out to the wings he is not as pure a number 10 as torres is. Just because a scouting report says he likes to play centrally doesn't change the fact he drifted out to the left the whole u20 south american championship.

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

I thought you would take Aguilar out... no?

11. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That is what I thought.

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Help me find Torres on the assist leaders for qualifying...
    http://espnfc.com/stats/assists/_/l...MEBOL/world-cup-qualifying---conmebol?cc=5901

How did he play at Pescara?
    Guarin has been played improvised for Colombia as their playmaker.

13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

so he has to play out of position... Guarin was never a playmaker.. I see why Torres starts the bulk of the time.

Torres has Falcao as a forward.. a player who doesn't have to rely on service.. Thats a moot point.

14. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Performing for Colombia is more impressive than anything done at Pescara. if i had to take a crazy guess he plays in a 4-2-3-1 with Pescara and the three attacking mids rotate. There is a reason he doesn't start for Colombia like I alreasy said he is lke 5,7 130 he can't do what macnelly does in the middle of the field. Torres links play together if you don't appreciate it fine, but lets not throw "stats' into a position where they don't mean anything.

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yet Guarin, Rodriguez, Moreno and Martinez have multiple assists. Who do you think that's going to?

You're right, Guarin isn't a playmaker. That's why Torres has been starting. But Guarin tactical responsibility when he comes on for Colombia is to create. Meija and Valencia have been the subs for their DMs.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Torres only stands out because he is a classic #10. A perfect highlight player -- he tries a couple amazing balls and on occasion connects on them, but for the most part, is missing from the games.

If assists were so meaningless for his position, you should see where he ranks in the Colombian league for assists. He can't cut it on the NT level.

17. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok watch the world cup cause he has been good so far. I guess performing in qualifiers means your not "nt" quality.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's where we disagree. I haven't been impressed with him other than the Bolivia game. What other games did he stand out in for you?

I'm certainly glad I don't agree with good ol' Tim on this topic. :D

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Denilson is watching us :cautious:

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He was good at home against paraguay that is where he solidified his position in my opinion. He was also good against Chile on the road where they got a 3-1 win. I guess Peckerman's a dumb ass for playing him right? He has been solid and he is what Colombia needs. Colombia was a mess before he took over. If a team is consistently scoring goals you don't replace the number 10 or number 9, basic stuff.

21. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    With the kind of suggestions I see here, we might as well hire a few hookers, get them sex-change operations and put'em in Vila Belmiro because it will be the same shit: using recycled garbage that doesn't fully work.

Damn it, I have met bums more organized that the club right now...

Thank you, Cury, for everything you have done for us! I wish LOAR would pick up a history book to see what it takes to make a club great.

22. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

good question about macnelly torres. personally i never rated him that high because he was never the type of midfielder who could really lead an attack. but when he played for colombia during the 2006-2010 campaign - that midfield was so disorganized and a revolving door, that i feel there was a natural bias against torres, aldo ramirez, gio hernandez and anyone else who would try and lead that midfield.

in comes pekerman who restructured the midfield around players like Edwin Valencia as the main DM, Abel Aguilar (plays in a similar role as Gilberto Silva) and the playmaker James Rodriguez.

on paper i would think that Fredy Guarin would be great in that 4th midfield spot, but torres plays 2ndary playmaker role more conservatively and doesn't try to do anything fancy unlike Guarin who tends to be more attack oriented and looks for shots from distance on multiple occassions (plays more selfish is what it comes down to IMO).

pekerman's formula seems to be 1 pure defensive mid (Valencia or Carlos Sanchez); the box to box organizer/short pass pay - Aguilar; the playmaker who takes all the risks - James Rodriguez and another playmaker but more conservative than James (Torres and Aldo Ramirez have switched for each other on several occassions).

pekerman seems to be set on using torres given the results with him in the system that has been working. the true test will be how torres does against big teams.

overall, i think torres is the beneficiary of fitting into a system, but i am afraid that torres will be exposed when facing the world's elite in brazil.

a player like guarin would have been good in our midfield against argentina b/c of his experiences in europe and ability to change up the game via his shooting prowess from outside the 18.

when thinking of torres - i kind of think of Elano during the dunga era. hardly an integral player for man city at the club level, but fit dunga's system perfectly and was arguably one of the most important players on the team.

sorry for the long winded rant!

Mengão86 repped this.
  23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Furnaccio - Excellent post. I do agree that he has fit under Pekerman's system better than 06-10 period. Why haven't you rated him high? Wouldn't you agree his biggest knock is his consistency and the fact he disappears often, especially in big games?

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    lawsonishere - a #10 I like that probably wouldn't be too expensive is Carlos Villanueva. He was amazing at Audax and he returned to Chile with Catolica this season and was very good. My 2 cents.

25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

the biggest gripe people have against Torres vs a player like Fredy Guarin is the resume. Guarin has played and won big titles at Porto and has earned a starting role for Serie A team Inter Milan. Meanwhile Torres, who is 28 now, is back in the Colombian league for Atletico Nacional where he is a big fish in a small pond - it's probably a vulgar assessment, but that's how i feel and i wouldn't be surprised if that's what others are thinking.

i think people want to see Guarin (or JFQ eventually) in that role with the team winning the way they have been. but instead the results under pekerman have surprisingly been with torres - then again - that's why pekerman is manager and we are just fans :) so i trust pekerman's judgement - i dont see the training and the closed door sessions amongst the staff.

i do agree that torres has had the tendency to disappear at times for both club/country...i would like to see more matches where torres plays outside of colombia. which is also the case for some of our other players