Santa Clara Women's Soccer 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cpthomas, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Umm...

Where is Kealia Ohai from?

2. 2whoplay

2whoplay Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I don't think LBSU has a very good chance to win Saturday - unless maybe your girls are looking down the road as much as you all. :rolleyes:

goaleemama repped this.
  3. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah she's from Utah, but I don't think she is LDS. Could be wrong tho.
    So per twitter, if BYU makes the final game, they move it to Saturday. So the Semi's would be Fri and then the Final would be Saturday.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Actually, I was referencing her being from altitude. I believe Alta is even higher than Provo. She will have little trouble there. But whether she is LDS or not, she grew up in the culture, and her coaches were LDS. Come to think of it, isn't Anson?

5. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah he is rumored to be. Who really knows tho. And the altitude won't help her one bit unless she's been training at altitude for over 2 weeks. (Some estimates are even 3-4 weeks) I doubt UNC will let her fly home to do that, so she is stuck sucking wind like the rest of us.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

you are talking whole different altitude timing.
    here is what FIFA decided for the issue.

8,200 feet is almost twice the altitude of Prov0 (4550 ft.), and players in the past reported no issues with just a couple days extra to acclimate

When UP went to Boulder last time (5,400 ft), Dani Foxhoven, Kendra Chandhoke, Keelin Winters, Elli Reed, and several other players who grew up there showed no signs of being gassed.

7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes it ridiculous for Stanford, also. Besides a #11 RPI (probably) in round 2, they should not have to face the #2 RPI before reaching the College Cup.

Which is my biggest issue, the #2 RPI not being a #1 seed. My apologies to The Committee for their two top teams being in the same state. If Duke and North Carolina were RPIs 1 and 2, would they be in the same region? Doubt it, they aren't now. If The Committee felt that San Diego State didn't deserve their RPI, then why not just skip the RPI and use the coaches' poll? That might not work either, last one I saw had SDSU #6 but three teams ahead of them proceeded to lose. Or fix the RPI system if it is so defective.

Prodigious excrement from the male cow.

8. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Having been a college athlete who grew up in Denver and played elsewhere for college I can tell you that it very much has an effect. There is no way I could've walked back into altitude having not trained there for weeks and been fine. It's not like if you are from there you automatically adjust. That's absurd.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, like i said, being in shape helps. Being in really good shape, which most college players aren't, helps a lot. Players who coast in their training will pay the price.

Im old, but I was a rock climber and spent years above 5K feet and am still in fair shape aerobically. I went to Argentina last Spring and trekked at 14,200 ft on the altiplano with little effect after just a couple of days at about 4500 ft. Other folks were puking. I live now at 165 feet. part of the issue is mental.

If you think you are at disadvantage, you are.

goaleemama repped this.
  10. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From way back in high school biology, I remember something about the altitude acclimation process being a matter of the blood cells changing their shape so they can absorb more oxygen, and that the process takes about two weeks. It really doesn't have anything to do with lungs, although I've misleadingly referred to "mountain goat lungs". So if the Colorado-raised Portland players did well at 5,400 feet, that proves that they were in excellent shape at/near sea level.

Speaking of goats, the one mounting the cathedral in my icon/avatar/whatever the little picture is called is just a normal farm goat, not a mountain goat, Cologne's elevation is only 120 feet.

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No mathematical ratings system is as precise as you are thinking the RPI should be. It can define pools of teams for consideration, but can't rank them accurately within the pool. That's why the RPI is only one of a number of criteria. I believe it defines the pool that gets considered, but then it recedes and becomes one of a number of criteria. (Also, you are looking only at the Adjusted RPI, but the RPI also consists not only of the ANCRPI and other subsets of information.) There ordinarily are few head-to-head and common opponent results among such a small group of teams as are in the #1 seed pool (most likely 6 teams), so the secondary criterion of results against teams already selected for the bracket becomes very significant. Here are those results for the top 6 ARPI teams, in what I think is "order of strength." Keep in mind that I think what the Committee is looking for here is an answer to the question, "At what level do your wins and ties show that you are capable of winning games?"

Stanford

Wins (team and team's ARPI rank):

SanDiegoState, neutral 2
    PennState, away 3
    UCLA, away 6
    SantaClara, home 11
    Georgetown, home 31
    CaliforniaU, away 27
    Washington, home 32
    ArizonaState, home 39
    WashingtonState, home 42

Losses

WestVirginiaU, neutral 29

Ties:

BostonCollege, home

Florida State

Wins

VirginiaU, home 7
    FloridaU, home 8
    NorthCarolinaU, away 10
    Duke, home 15
    WakeForest, home 16
    UCF, away 18
    BostonCollege, home 23
    MarylandU, away 25
    VirginiaTech, home 30

Losses

VirginiaU, neutral 7
    BostonCollege, away 23
    MiamiFL, away 50

BYU

Wins

PennState, home 3
    PortlandU, away 19
    Pepperdine, away 24
    WashingtonU, home 32
    LongBeachState, home 40
    ColoradoCollege, home 46
    UtahState, away 57

Ties

SantaClara, home 11

Penn State

Wins

VirginiaU, away 7
    OhioState, away 12
    WestVirginiaU, away 29
    CentralMichigan, home 36
    Wisconsin, home 43
    Illinois, away 44

Losses

Stanford, home 1
    BYU, away 4
    Illinois, neutral 44

Ties

Michigan, home

UCLA

Wins

TennesseeU, home 14
    Pepperdine, home 24
    CaliforniaU, home 27
    WashingtonU, away 32
    ArizonaState, away 39
    Princeton, home 41
    Wisconsin, home 43
    IllinoisU, home 44

Losses

Stanford, home

Ties

WashingtonState, home 42

San Diego State

Wins

Portland, away 19
    Pepperdine, home 24
    ArizonaState, away 39

Losses

Stanford, neutral 1

Ties

SantaClara, away 11

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I figured it was a Sundgau, known in this country as an Alpine Goat. They are pretty good milkers and I've seen 'em in 14,000 ft. passes in the Alps.

[​IMG]

They can climb stuff you probably can't

13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roadkill can climb stuff I can't.

If it's an Alpine goat, that would explain being able to climb over a cathedral.

14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. That helps (your entire post, not just that sentence). Simple minds prefer simple systems. There's a lot to the sport and RPIs and the selection process that doesn't jump up and explain itself, and I really appreciate that you and others take the time to do that for the rest of us. ESPECIALLY you. I can explain the off-sides rule in soccer and ice hockey and I've recently grasped the Electoral College, but if anybody asks me about the selection process, I will punt the question to you.

cpthomas repped this.
  15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Or up the side of a dam...

[​IMG]

But the real champs are the Olympic Mountain guys. I'm pretty sure I can't do what this guy is doing for a drink of water.

[​IMG]

16. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    As a full time soccer mom, mini-van taxi service, and all those other mom jobs, I hit the slippery slope of out-of-shapeness after a lifetime of fitness. Out of shape, recovering from a back problem, and 40 pounds overweight, with asthma, I still travel occasionally to a location in the mountains above 4500 feet where we hike or walk extensively. Above 7 or 8 thousand feet definitely causes me some discomfort, but 4500 is barely on my radar, even in the shape I'm in now.

But I was really waiting to see who would mention the BYU/Sunday dilemma. Would they really reschedule the final if BYU makes it? There are no Sunday games on their schedule.

An LDS friend told me that there would have to be a pretty serious service component for it to even be a possibility.

17. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    I should like to point out, that despite pictures posted otherwise on this thread, that the mascot of the Santa Clara Women's Soccer team is the bronco, picture attached.

[​IMG]

Oops, sorry, wrong bronco. See attached.
    [​IMG]

goaleemama, Cliveworshipper and NilamCA repped this.
  18. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    7 Santa Clara players were honored with all-league designations by the WCC. http://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/w-soccer/2012-13/releases/20121106vc99i3
    http://www.wccsports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/110612aac.html

There was one additional player that I felt worthy of mention. Central defender Allie Vernon got 2nd team honors, but her running mate, Ellie Rice, was not mentioned. It is impossible for me to think of Santa Clara's back line without thinking of Allie and Ellie in almost the same thought. Both are fast on their feet, slender in build and play terrific soccer, and both were worthy of league honors, IMHO.

goaleemama repped this.
  19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The first Team is impressive, but my money is on the second team beating them. At least they have a keeper.

20. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Club:
    Cruz Azul Hidalgo
    I second the Ellie Rice shout out enthusiastically...a terrific decision maker and fearless...both Vernon and Rice are playing out of position and sacrificing the joys of playing their preferred midfield due to Jerry's apparent unwillingness to recruit defenders.
    LBSU played us off the field 2 years ago in NCAAs so this match won't be easy.

goaleemama repped this.
  21. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    How funny. You are right, the 1st team all-league lacks a GK.

goaleemama repped this.
  22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

The selections also lack an offensive player of the year.

23. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But where else can I read about and discuss my alma mater's soccer team and learn something about goats in the process? And that's a nice looking Bronco. Both of them.

24. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  25. attackerp

attackerp Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Is this normal? Looking at it, how can you have a defender as player of the year, but not the defender of the year? o_O That makes no sense.

And I have to agree. No offensive player of the year? Who was the European coach that said the hardest thing to do in soccer by far, was to score goals.