Santa Clara Women's Soccer 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cpthomas, Apr 1, 2012.

1. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Broncos vs. The Cardinal...

Santa Clara beats the national champs! Too bad it's not fall... Julie Johnston squeaked a header right in the edge of the net, which then bounced off the inside of the net and right behind the goal keeper. 1-0 in the first half which held all the way through.

In a nutshell, Santa Clara had some great runs in the first half and really gave Stanford some trouble. Stanford had more possession during the second half and shot a lot more, with no success, due to some great defending by the Broncos and some plain old missed shots on the part of Stanford. There were some very good saves by both Santa Clara goal keepers. Chioma Ubogagu had some about-to-be-scary moments, but I think she was marked pretty much the whole time.

This was a great game to watch - good crowds on both sides, and two dangerous and dynamic teams. Heaven! Wish we'd been there for the start of the game.

One interesting thing...not so many subs put in for this game on either side.

2. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    5 games won, 20 goals in 5 games, 3 shutouts... should be a good fall season!

Here's a video of goal number three on Sunday afternoon - there were 6 apparently. We had to leave so we didn't see them all. This was the second goal of the game for Huerta, who scored after a nice little backward roll by Johnston. Smooth move!

It was very hot, so we sat in the only shade available - therefore, bad video, taken on my little camera - still, a nice little goal!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG5R192phaI&feature=BFa&list=ULrG5R19"]DSCN0414.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

3. RUBlind

RUBlind Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Any early predictions regarding who will be on top next fall in the WCC?

4. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Santa Clara certainly looked great for spring. It looks like both Johnston and Huerta will be in Japan when Santa Clara plays Stanford, tho. Stanford will be missing Ubogagu, so it will be an interesting game with chances for some of the other rising stars on both sides...

As far as the rest of the WCC goes, I'm sure "All White Kit" will be posting their predictions in the near future.

5. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Santa Clara release their schedule.

http://santaclarabroncos.com/sports/w-soccer/2012-13/schedule

Stanford #1 and Cal #36 to lead off. Those two teams have eliminated Santa Clara in the last 3 college cups. Notre Dame #42 game 4. Boston U #31, Georgetown #44, Washington St #51, Connecticut #85, San Diego State #88, Fresno State #95, CSU Northridge #101, UNC Greensboro #123, UC Riverside #142 plus WCC teams.

No San Jose State?!?!?!?! Wha happen?!?!?!?! Perhaps their #251 ranking?

eefallen and goaleemama repped this.
  6. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Perhaps - Santa Clara clobbered SJSU 6-0 in spring, also beating Cal and Stanford. Hoping for good fight even with Johnston and Huerta at the u-20 world cup...

7. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize but I don't know where else to ask this. Has Henninger graduated and what are her plans now (re: soccer)? Or is she leaving the sport (at least w.r.t either a semi-pro or pro basis)?

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

She was a senior and was taken by the Philadelpia Independence in the WPS. When the WPS went belly up, she signed with the NY Fury in the WPSL in May, where she is shown on the current roster. She is also shown in the u23 player pool. She was also at a USWNT camp in February.

It's tough to say what any young player's prospects are without a real league. Most are playing where they can.

9. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Clearly, I haven't been paying attention! I didn't see her on the latest U-23 roster (the Norway and Sweden games) so I wondered, esp. wih Franch getting a ton of play there.

Re: WPSL - 1 GP? o_O Okay, better than 0, which seems like a significant if not substantial portion of their roster...

Thanks for the info.

10. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011

11. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    With the Norway u-23 tournament the same weekend as Santa Clara graduation, I can imagine there was a tough choice. My daughter follows Henninger on twitter and there was a picture of the four SCU seniors in their graduation garb - apparently the choice was clear. With graduation out of the way, and since she is on the roster for NY Fury, we're assuming that she might be in New York at some point in the near future. We're watching...

12. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    I do not know how far you can trust the Santa Clara schedules. Both the women's and men's teams have games scheduled at 2:00pm on Oct. 28 at Buck Shaw. I reported this to the coaches a few days ago but they don't seem to care.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Coaches don't do that stuff.
    Try writing director of media relations Michelle Schmitt mschmitt@scu.edu

She looks like he closest thing to an SID, which usually handle these things.

14. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Hmmm... I looked at the schedule today and it says 11:30 for women. Playing San Diego, so we'll be sure to be at that one...

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Bianca suffered an injury, which is why you haven't seen her on game rosters lately.

16. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    The Count repped this.
  17. The Count

The Count New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Club:
    Spartak Moskva
    DePaul certainly needs some offensive help. Sara did everything the coaches asked of her, was
    a tremendously hard worker and had a great attitude. Every team needs a player like her. Hopefully she will get some playing time at DePaul.

18. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    She was one of my daughter's favorites as she admires, as you said, her hard work on the field.

19. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
  20. RUBlind

RUBlind Member

Nov 8, 2011
  21. RUBlind

RUBlind Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Last year the WCC coaches picked:
    2011 WEST COAST CONFERENCE PRESEASON POLL
    Team (First Place Votes) Points
    1. Portland (6) 61
    2t. Santa Clara (2) 53
    2t. BYU (1) 53
    4. San Diego 47
    5. Loyola Marymount 33
    6. Pepperdine 31
    7. Saint Maryʼs 20
    8t. Gonzaga 13
    8t. San Francisco 13

How it turned out:
    1t. Pepperdine
    1t. San Diego
    3. Santa Clara
    4. BYU
    5. Portland
    6. San Francisco
    7. St. Mary's
    8. LMU
    9. Gonzaga

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

So.. Basically... They got every choice wrong.

23. SCU Bronco

SCU Bronco Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Who is your pick this season, Cliveworshipper?

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

You haven't answered my other questions yet.

25. SCU Bronco

SCU Bronco Member

Feb 23, 2010
    I'm picking the SCU Broncos.