Santa Clara Women's Soccer 2011

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by SCUFANTASTIC, Aug 4, 2011.

1. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That means she gets more time as a Santa Clara student. I wonder when she will arrive on campus? She was an Academic All-Big 10 as well as a soccer All-Big 10.

2. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Yeah, except for the fact that you weren't arguing over whether Nebraska was any good or not, you were claiming that Big Ten defenses shut Marlborough down easily. Which they didn't.

4. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically if someone sits that means the other school didn't grant her a release either 1) at all or 2) to the particular school she transferred to. So it's possible Nebraska didn't offer her a release, and it's also possible that Nebraska did grant a release but with stipulations as to where she can go (with Santa Clara not being a place the release allows her to go)

As to someone who asked why she'd transfer NOW after 3 years and with the reasons she gave on the article, my first thought when I saw it was that she didn't want her final season to be on a team with a losing record, no postseason and no legitimate chance at any kind of trophy. Someone else mentioned (accurately) that she wasn't on the national radar as a recruit. No relevant ODP or esp although she was invited to U17 camp once. (All-state/all-met etc aren't relevant on a national stage ... I'm sure Alaska has All-State and All-County players but I haven't seen many from Alaska in big-time college soccer so those awards don't necessarily suggest anything everywhere). It's possible now that she's killed it in college, she wants to move somewhere that will get her more visibility in preparation for a professional career.

And Marlborough was completely deserving of All-America honors. Everyone in the Big10 knows it, everyone that follows women's soccer knows it. Without her, Nebraska could have gone winless, no exaggeration.

5. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    Thanks uscue13 - very interesting and helpful to get a sense of what's happening here, especially the part about not wanting to go out with a losing season.

Responding to what you said above about her national experience, and only because I happened to notice it yesterday when I was looking for some YouTube clips (in other words, I didn't immediately go out and try to find something to prove you wrong after reading your post this morning!), this YouTube video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CYhepVx7HI"]U-20 WNT vs. Trinidad & Tobago: Highlights Jan. 23, 2010[/ame] appears to show her scoring a goal in a U-20 WNT match against Trinidad & Tobago.

6. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just guessing on the losing season parts, I don't know her personally.

Thanks for the clip of the U20 match. That clip comes from 2010 though! She was already in college and a unanimous Freshman All-American with 49 points when she was selected for the U20 team. My point was prior to college she had none of that experience other than one invite to the U17 camp. So she was indeed under the radar when being recruited.

7. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    Ahhhh - got it. Thanks!

8. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were several conference teams that did not allow MM to score-Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State and Minnesota for the record. Against Northwestern and Purdue she scored back to back hat tricks. Quite an accomplishment.

For the record I am not arguing DemitriMaximoffX just stating facts. She is a very prolific goal scorer. It will be interesting to see her play in the WCC. On the other hand, I am sorry to see the Big 10 lose her.

9. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Here is a shout out for Alaska:
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205158395

10. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. leftout1

leftout1 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Does Santa Clara have a 6ft minimum height requirement to be a forward?:cool:

12. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Anyone have thoughts on the WPS draft tomorrow? And a certain Santa Clara GK who is hovering in the top picks? Hmmmm?

13. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    At least she was the first GK at #14.

14. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
  15. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Club:
    Cruz Azul Hidalgo
    I imagine Huerta will not make the team. IMO she has the physical talent but has not yet developed the skills to thrive at this level. As Brandi Chastain said she is a special talent but very raw...don't think she had the coaching in Boise or the national camp exposure.

16. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    It sounds like they will have at least a tentative list on Friday.

17. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Club:
    Cruz Azul Hidalgo
    I'm more concerned by no mention of our incoming keeper Andi Tostanoski

18. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
  19. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
  20. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    How disappointing. As an aside I hope we seasons ticket holders can get our money back.

21. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    You may have to contact the magic jack owner to get that back as he is sucking all the money from the league. :(.

22. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    This is very sad indeed. What a setback.
    On that note, parents PLEASE make sure your daughters are choosing a school that they will look back at their 4 years and say , "yeah, this was a great experience all the way around". After those 4 years, they will be either in the "real world" of work, or grad school. It goes by very quickly and is really the last of their childhood to play.
    Most of my former students report back how great it was. They got to play a lot and made friends that will be there for life. But you would be surprised how many look back and say "all I did was soccer. no study abroad. no summers at the beach. i live in colorado and didn't even ski for like 6 years. now that my time is my own i am off to work". Not a lot say that, but enough that it is worth a mention to the parents who read on this board. When asked why they chose the SEC or Big 12 over a smaller school, they replied that they didn't want to disappoint their parents after so many years of club soccer. I will add that the WCC students seem very happy across the board.

23. CardtheBird

CardtheBird New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Anyone heard any news on which Bronco alums plan on continuing their soccer careers and where? Curious if are heading to Europe or will just play semi-pro in WPSL or W-League.

24. CardtheBird

CardtheBird New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    And to the powers that be, did I somehow miss the "Santa Clara 2012" thread? If not, I think it's time to start one.

25. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Agree! Where is the 2012 thread? Spring season starts this week! First game on 4/4 vs Cal - I'm assuming it's at Buck Shaw.