Santa Clara Women's Soccer 2011

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by SCUFANTASTIC, Aug 4, 2011.

1. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah - what an anticlimactic ending to a great season. However, it was a pretty good game in comparison with the San Diego game, which was cringe-ville... Jenny LaPonte is injured and I think that has been a blow for the whole team. I thought the offense did pretty well getting the ball where it needed to be, but missed opportunities plagued them and I kept thinking of the BYU game - all that shooting and no scoring... darn!

I feel the worst for the girl who missed the PK kick - I won't say her name because she looked so upset... AND I think she should be remembered as the girl who broke Pepperdine's winning streak.

But hey, all in all, it was a great game and I think I chewed my nails down to the bone! I'm pretty sure the Broncos will have another great season next year!

2. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    I agree goaleemama. It was a sad day for the seniors.

But I was looking at the roster again to remind me of how many young players they have - they had an amazing season with so many integral parts being freshmen and sophomores. I think they have a bright future ahead of them.

3. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Club:
    Cruz Azul Hidalgo
    Curious and surprising decision by Coach Smith to start 4 players who don't normally start ...don't know how injuries influenced decision...especially unusual to break up center backs for tournament game..Vernon and Klei both lack makeup speed after injury and IMO Cal's goal wouldn't have scored with Kleiner in centerback...Vernon had excellent game and is a wonderful player...Interesting that the 35min Margaret played in second half coincided with SCU domination
    Cal was tremendously improved from first game...game was pretty even...both sides missed good chances...Bri made some great saves and freshman Huerta went for power over placement on OT golden chance...I thought we would prevail in pks...IMO pks belong on ground and are unstoppable if near corners
    Can't wait for next year...seniors should be proud of bringing program back...look forward to advancing even farther next year

4. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    We heard Aozasa talking with a fan before the game, and she said, "I'm okay - I'm not starting, but I'll play if I need to." Which made us thought there was an injury issue.

5. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Oops! I meant "PK" not PK kick (duh)... Aozasa was down in the San Diego game with a hard hit on her knee. At the men's game last weekend, she was still limping pretty heavily, so I was wondering if she was going to be on the field.

We wanted the moon for the seniors, of course, but there were so many knee braces and crutches down there that I'm almost glad to see the season end for rest of the team. I think at least half that team is still made up of teenagers. I hate to see college kids that young with all those injuries. It is college after all, not WPS. Better to see them healthy next season and kicking some Stanford booty...

6. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I agree with Bronco Billy!:D It was an awesome experience going to the games and seeing them do so well. My kids know all the names, numbers, and stats of all the girls and we'll really miss seeing those seniors! My 10-year old can't even imagine the team without them.

7. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Congrats on a great season. I saw you play a few games (thanks bronco vision) and you guys were fantastic.

8. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    A great season for the Broncos and it's just so wonderful seeing the team return to playing such a beautiful style of soccer. With so many young players on this team the future is indeed bright. Revel in your accomplishments, all of you deserve it.

9. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
  10. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
  11. curiousleo

curiousleo New Member

Nov 19, 2011
    article says she's got to sit a yr. thought soccer players usually didn't have to sit on transfer. watching the men's college cup, they said the goal scorer in the final played for Akron last year. is Nebraska playing hard ball? if so, that's petty of them.

12. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
  13. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She explains why in the article.

14. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    Thanks paltrysum. I did read the article. I took her explanation to be why she chose Santa Clara, but not necessarily why she was leaving Nebraska.

15. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Leaving after three years seems weird. Shouldn't she have used that explanation and reasoning before choosing a school and not after attending one for 75% of your her eligibility?

16. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Nobody knew who she was until she got to Nebraska and started scoring.

17. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    She was the Missouri Gatorade player of the year before she entered college. The Kansas City Star selected her to its all-metro first-team four straight seasons and named her the all-metro player of the year in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Someone must have known who she was.

18. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    The other thing that's interesting to me (not that I'm complaining - I think it's great!!!) is that I would have thought that switching colleges would not get you more exposure on the national stage. I would think that if you are a prolific scorer at a D1 school (I'm assuming Nebraska is D1, although I haven't checked), the national team coaches would already know who you are.

Again, not complaining at all since it sounds from the article like she will be a great addition (haven't checked YouTube for highlights yet).

19. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was overshadowed in the Big 10 this past season by Maya Hayes. Most of the Big 10 teams had no problem shutting her down.

20. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Wait, what? She had a goal or an assist in nine of eleven Big Ten matches this year.

21. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know why else she would HAVE to sit out a year.

22. Time&Space

Time&Space Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe she will help them beat San Diego, they seem to have their number! All joking aside, that's a good pickup for a team that should be mature by 2013.

23. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe she was not recruited by Santa Clara? Maybe Nebraska seemed like a good idea at the time?

I don't care if she went to Nebraska because she likes corn ... as a student and an athlete, Morgan will be an excellent addition to Santa Clara.

Nebraska will have to modify the website ... Morgan is #15 on the left. http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38&SPID=26&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&atclid=205326211

24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    The Nebraska coaches have to waive that requirement, I believe, so it sounds like they didn't.