SANTA CLARA UNIVERSITY - 2014

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by eefallen, Jan 24, 2014.

1. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Even with my nonexistent psychology skills, I see a pattern here.

AD gets an offer from Stanford, AD gets a stronger contract from UNC, AD makes disparaging remarks about Stanford (with whom he is in direct competition with for recruits).

JS gets an offer for ND, SCU gives him a biggie contract. JS is in direct competition with ND for recruits, so of course he is going to make some comments that might get the attention of recruits who are hanging in the balance.

To me, it all seems like propaganda for the sake of recruiting, or making your program look like a better deal. So, I'll give them both a pass and hope for some good soccer. : )

2. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    SAN DIEGO -- The formula for top-ranked Stanford's success in women's soccer can be traced to the Rodin Sculpture Garden on campus.

So says the John Wooden of the sport.

North Carolina's Anson Dorrance said Thursday the Cardinal's rise to the top of the soccer world is because of its academic prestige, and yes, those eerie Rodin originals at the Cantor Arts Center that add an element of stature to the campus.

"We go head-to-head with Stanford in recruiting, and we rarely beat them," said Dorrance, whose team plays Stanford in the College Cup semifinals Friday night at Torero Stadium. The winner will advance to Sunday's title game against either Florida State or Penn State.

"This field we are playing is littered with my recruiting failures," said Dorrance, who considered coming to Stanford after guiding the U.S. women's national team to its first World Cup title in 1991.

"It was so tempting," he recalled. "Recruiting there would have been like shooting fish in a barrel."

I don't think he's hating on Stanford.

3. lance mannion

lance mannion New Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    "Making it to the round of sixteen (and leaving with a tie against a top 3 team) is not exactly "nothing". I suspect there are coaches out there who would saw off their own left arms for that level of "mediocrity".

You think any top program would be happy with 1 college cup in 10 years?

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Are you saying Virginia isn't satisfied, or that they aren't a top program?

:thumbsdown:

Metline and goaleemama repped this.
  5. Metline

Metline New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It was some time before this article. There was a comment amounting to how he couldn't see himself at the snobby school with the Rodin sculpture garden. Wish I had time to find it, but hating on Stanford wasn't the point. Smith wasn't hating on ND either, just making some remarks that may or may not have been to slyly call some attention for his own program.

6. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I guess Stanford would fall into that category as well. Only one win. (ha ha)

7. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    [quote="lance mannion"

You think any top program would be happy with 1 college cup in 10 years?[/quote]

Just for your info only 3 schools have ever won more than 1 Women's College Cup: North Carolina(21), Notre Dame(3) and Portland(2). The teams with only 1 win are George Mason, Florida, Santa Clara, Stanford, UCLA and USC. There are lot's of other top programs that would be happy to get 1. In fact think there are about 320 teams that would be more than happy to get 1 Women's College Cup.

lance mannion repped this.
  8. lance mannion

lance mannion New Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Just for your info only 3 schools have ever won more than 1 Women's College Cup: North Carolina(21), Notre Dame(3) and Portland(2). The teams with only 1 win are George Mason, Florida, Santa Clara, Stanford, UCLA and USC. There are lot's of other top programs that would be happy to get 1. In fact think there are about 320 teams that would be more than happy to get 1 Women's College Cup.[/quote]

I see the confusion here. By college cup I was referring to making the final 4- something that Santa Clara has done once in 10 years. Their championship was in 2001 -even a more distant memory. Do you think any top flight team would be happy with one final 4 (college cup) appearance in a 10 year span?

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #34 Cliveworshipper, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

There was no confusion. You said 1 college cup in ten years. Virginia meets that criteria.

Virginia has only BEEN to one College cup in the last ten years, ( this year), the only appearance in Swanson's 14 year tenure. Their next best finish was a 2005 quarterfinal.

They have only been there twice in their history, according to Swanson's bio on their website, and as you point out, they aren't on the list of teams who have ever won. Virginia's only other appearance in the College Cup was 1991, before it was even called the College Cup. They managed to win the semifinal game then.

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/all-time-results.html

So which is it? Are they not satisfied with Swanson?....or are they not a top team in your eyes?

10. BroncGoal

BroncGoal New Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Yeah, but as scufantastic stated, How can you lose 9 seniors and only recruit 4 in coming freshmen. I kept waiting to see who the next recruit was going to be after the fourth, but a fifth, sixth or seventh never occurred. Plus the Broncos lost another transfer in Morgan Stanton choosing to move to Colorado after her freshman year. Similar to the move last year when Brooke Rice transferred after her sophomore year to Colorado. Why did these women leave the program? Yeah yeah, I know last year we got Morgan Marlbourgh as a transfer from Nebraska, but she never blossomed and never seemed to fit in with the rest of girls. It was almost like she was an outcast. Plus, did she ever smile after a goal.

With SCU high finish in the tournament and #7 ranking, you'd think at least one highly ranked national player would have signed!!

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players were set mostly (or entirely) well before the NCAA Tournament. I think Santa Clara, and my favorite school, have to deal with the same question: Do you go for large numbers when you know that will mean diluting the talent level or do you limit yourself to players who meet the standard you really want to maintain? If you're going to be a top level program, I think you go for the few who are at the right level, especially if you aren't a school that has to bring in large numbers to balance out pointy ball. It's a tough situation, especially as the recruiting competition increases, which has been going on for a while now.

12. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    I think that the 6 2013 freshmen players that apparently redshirted should be counted along with the 5 new incoming 2014 freshmen for a total of 11 players that replace the 9 graduates. True, all 6 may not return but I have heard that the girls on the team considered one of the girls that red shirted to be the best defender on the team. I am looking forward to the spring games to see which of the 6 will be playing since that might shed some light on the situation.

13. BroncGoal

BroncGoal New Member

Dec 14, 2013
    eefallen, sounds like you have a better handle on the number of recruits & redshirts than I... Agree the spring games should reveal what the fall the line-up will look like. Your insights greatly appreciated especially since I'll miss most if not all the spring games.

14. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    And today, 3/24, SCU announced another incoming player for 2014: Sydney Myers from Park City UT, a flexible player at midfield or defense or forward. She played for the Black Diamond SC and also has attended a US U-17 camp.

15. BroncGoal

BroncGoal New Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Plus, she netted her Brighton HS loan goal for the win in Utah State's Class 5A Championship Game and was a first-team all-state selection. HS team ranked #47 in nation, so played on a high level HS team. i.e. a plus.

16. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Santa Clara played the Sacramento Storm to a 1-1 tie and they played 2 15 minute overtime periods and could not resolve it. Good crowd. First spring game so they did look a little rusty. Five of the freshmen who red shirted this past season got to play and looked promising. Mariana Galvan is still on the bench recovering from ACL work but someone was wearing her #18 jersey. I was told she is a transfer from CSU Bakersfield but I don't know who she is yet. I compared Bakersfield's 2013 and 2014 rosters which are the same except for two seniors not on the 2014 roster so that did not reveal anything.
    I was really amazed to see Sissi still playing just about the entire game for the Storm.

Thursday it's SCU vs CAL at SCU, 7:00 pm. The game might be more revealing than the game with the Storm

17. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Loved Sissi - that was really fun. She combines very nicely with #7, which was something I noticed last spring. Nice chemistry between those two.
    SCU looked better than I feared they would look, but not as good as I hoped. I'm hoping they'll put Huerta on for more than a half for Cal this week. Also hoping for quick and complete recoveries from all the injuries, which should help. I was disappointed that Galvan isn't back, as she is a player that I like. Speedy and feisty. The heat didn't help either, as far as appearing rusty. It was frying hot at Buck Shaw and about 20 degrees hotter than the middle of the week. We missed most of Huerta's minutes, but I was pleased with Speidel, who seemed to create a few good chances. I thought she seemed a little more careful and reserved than last fall, but I know that she is recovering from a severely broken toe, which can take a lot of time to fully heal.

Looking forward to the Cal game.

18. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    The transfer from Bakersfield wearing Galvan's jersey was Kiana Burkett a 5'6" midfielder from Santa Cruz who played in 10 games in 2012-13 but no games in 2013-14. She has played for MVLA and AJAX.

Also playing in the Sunday game was Stephanie Sorg wearing the #16 jersey which she wore in 2012-13, her freshman year. She does not show up in the statistics for that year so I assume she was injured and is just now ready to play again.

19. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    4/10 Thur. Santa Clara 3 , Calif 2

20. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Once again, we had to miss the first half. However, we did get to see the third goal which bent, Beckham-esque, right into the corner. Did the goalie even jump for that? It really did not look as if it would go in.

Although it was a better look than Sunday, it seemed for a while like Tostanoski's incredible saves were the only thing keeping Cal from thrashing the Broncos. The tide turned once Huerta came on, even though she didn't score.

Cal looked sharp and organized. SCU looked like they were chasing for a while, but then started to control the flow. This is the first time I could hear both coaches, which was very interesting. It would be a fun experiment to trade coaches for a week or so. I think both teams would benefit.

My take from this game was that the midfield was more solid with Weatherholt in - we didn't see her play last time because she didn't play the second half.
    There were a few scary give-aways on the back line, but it seemed like those were flukes that stopped happening after mid-half.
    If Tostanoski plays all season like she did in the second half - the Broncos have a good chance to do well.
    Some players changed positions. That was interesting.
    When Huerta comes on, the whole game changes. I think everyone already knows that.

21. BroncGoal

BroncGoal New Member

Dec 14, 2013
    "Chasing"!!! OMG, sure sounds like the beginning of 2013 season opening games against North Carolina and Virginia all over again where they excelled at chasing. The chasing scheme/scenario is so difficult to watch. Let's hope Jerry and staff realize history's repeating itself again and correct it... But then again these are Spring Games

Sounds like Huerta and Weatherholt as would be expected are providing leadership on the pitch.

Any welcome surpises as to rising talent moving forward???

22. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    4/17 Santa Clara 1 - Bay Area Breeze 0. Good Game. SCU seems to have improved rtheir passing game. They seemed to have control of the ball most of the time.. Next Tuesday vs Stanford should be a good game also.

23. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that neither of them were fleeing Santa Clara. Brooke grew up in Jackson, Wyoming, surrounded by mountains and missed that environment. Boulder is not surrounded by mountains, but some pretty impressive ones loom right over the CU campus. Brooke gave up playing with her sister in order to be in a more familiar environment. Morgan didn't move to Colorado, she came home. She grew up in Lakewood, part of metro Denver not far from mountains and about 40 miles south of Boulder. A club teammate of hers, also from Lakewood, just left Portland after one semester and came home to play for CU. Another player from Florida State just transferred to CU, although in this case she wasn't coming home (home being Canberra, the capital of Australia), I think Tallahassee may not have been a cultural fit. These are all top-ranked programs which CU isn't (yet, I say hopefully), but the Buffs play in the Pac-12 and made the sweet sixteen last year, so leaving SCU was not a big step backwards for Brooke and Morgan.

Players also sometimes transfer to get more playing time, which would reflect favorably on the programs they left.

As for Morgan Marlborough, what you observed may be more a reflection of her personality than an issue with the team, she was kinda that way at Nebraska. Most players get Really Excited when they score, but Morgan has scored a lot in her career and maybe for her a goal is just what she expects of herself. Just a thought, I only saw her play at Nebraska.

24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julie Johnston just scored in the second half to put the Chicago Red Stars up 1-0 against the Western New York Flash.

25. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Santa Clara has just announced that the 4/22 Tuesday game with Stanford has been postponed. My guess is that since Stanford played the last 20 minutes of Saturdays game with 10 players they can not put together 11 healthy players for the game with SCU.