SANTA CLARA UNIVERSITY - 2014

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by eefallen, Jan 24, 2014.

1. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Spring game according to Stanford:

Tue. April 22 Santa Clara vs Stanford at Santa Clara, time TBA

goaleemama repped this.
  2. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Can't wait. AWK rating Huerta as number 1 forward in this class. Really looking forward to her senior season.

3. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    I hear that the rumors of Jerry Smith going to Notre Dame seem to be wiped out with SCU giving him a new long term contract.

Santa Clara has posted a news item announcing one new incoming player, Kellie Peay:
    www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/w-soccer/2013-14/releases/20140210c21uob
    I guess they will announce the new players one at a time. There should be three more Arghandiwal, Keeth and Uhl.

Also note that there are several current freshmen that red shirted this past season so I expect there will be about nine or ten in the 2014 freshman category.

4. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
  5. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
  6. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
  7. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
  8. Rocky Colorado

Aug 13, 2004
    Hillsborough, CA
    "I want to be clear that Notre Dame did not put a contract in front of me. I also want to be clear that they would have."

Jerry, Jerry, Jerrrrry. This is just so unseemly. Why even say this?

9. lance mannion

lance mannion New Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Because he is a very insecure man that sees his meager legacy slipping further into oblivion and he realizes he will be destined to be a poor second in the Bay Area until the end of time. Really tacky and atrocious form. Would not be surprised if ND goes public with their side of this as they don't take kindly to this type of public grandstanding.

10. GeauxIrish

GeauxIrish Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The quote where Smith says he was definitely Notre Dame's #1 choice is breathtakingly arrogant. And Cliveworshipper accuses ND of arrogance--so ironic. I'm no longer convinced that Mr. Smith is the man of high character I thought he was. Essentially he has contaminated ND's search by making it clear that anyone ND now offers the job was an afterthought. I've observed a lot of coaching searches, primarily in the college football ranks, and have never seen such a self-serving post-mortem from the candidate who declined the offer.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #11 MRAD12, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Like I said on the other thread. And I want to be careful not to go on another team's thread and to be overly critical of one of their own. But in this case IMO, Jerry Smith wasted Notre Dame's time but what really burns me is he wasted the kids at Notre Dame's time who are anxiously waiting for a new coach. By saying that he never wanted to leave SCU and reading that article, it appears that he used UND as leverage to get a better deal at SCU. What else can you deduct from this? I understand that many coaches do that. But after reading this article/interview and the way it is worded it makes him look openly and mockingly arrogant about it and in people's opinions here.

Good luck to Santa Clara. Good luck to Jerry. I've been a SCU style of soccer fan for a long time.
    But now I'm tempted to say I hope Notre Dame doesn't schedule Santa Clara for a long time. Maybe for 10 years.

12. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wait a sec! I thought Amanda Cromwell was Notre Dame's #1 choice. Could Jerry Smith be embellishing things a tad?

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Honestly, you sound like a jilted high school girl.

goaleemama repped this.
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

No.

Anson Dorrance was their #1 choice. They thought they could poach him on the basis of prestige.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    F-off, man! Put me on your ignore list.

Moist Pits repped this.
  16. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    The thing that is obvious, to me at least, is that this is a substandard recruiting class. Which, when you graduate 9 seniors, isn't what you need.

17. A5ter01d

A5ter01d New Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    This is done in most professions. If you work in a given industry, say tech for example, it's common for an engineer to interview elsewhere, get an offer, present the fact that you have received the offer to your current employer, and give them the chance to match or exceed it.

You might try to pull the heartstrings a bit by saying, "But what about the kids?" I don't think that's a relevant argument. Furthermore, an institution with a fine history like Notre Dame should be interviewing multiple candidates anyway. If they aren't, they're the ones being irresponsible. No deal is done until it's signed, sealed, and delivered.

18. lance mannion

lance mannion New Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #18 lance mannion, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Right -nobody should be arguing that this isn't a standard practice. You don't, however, run to the media and announce I was "clearly the number 1 choice" (BTW if you are having to use "clearly" you are already in trouble) and "I could have had a contract offer if I had wanted one." This guy has some serious issues and I suspect there are going to be longstanding repercussions against him for this. He better never want to leave SCU ever as folks are not going to deal with him in an interview setting after this. He's done nothing from a coaching perspective in the past decade and I suspect that trend will continue. He can enjoy his Jerry a Smith Academy for mediocrity all the while announcing " I was clearly their number 1 choice." Even his own school was embarrassed by his juvenile comments and scrubbed the formal announcement clean. I suspect we will be hearing something from Notre Dame about it when the time is right

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The time for Notre Dame's response may be when it's next up for Notre Dame and Santa Clara to be talking about scheduling further games with each other. Some already may be set, so I'm wondering about games that aren't set yet.

20. A5ter01d

A5ter01d New Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Far be it from me to be Jerry Smith's advocate. I am neither a fan nor a supporter of him or SCU but he is a heck of a coach. He doesn't nail down top recruiting classes every year, yet his teams are highly competitive. I've seen enough SCU games over the past decade to know the guy knows what he's doing. In addition, if he's such a bad, mediocre coach, why did Notre Dame, a college with multiple national championships, want him so badly?

goaleemama repped this.
  21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Through all that's been said here and on other threads, I'm sure that Santa Clara and Notre Dame, two fine Catholic schools have a relationship that goes way above and beyond women's soccer. I'm not a Catholic myself but I'm sure there is a Catholic hierarchy or Catholic Bishops that will not allow these two universities to have a bad relationship in sports.
    Life goes on.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, even the games that are set aren't set in stone. When Notre Dame joined the ACC they unilaterally cancelled the return match with UP. That's how UP - Stanford got scheduled at a replacement this last year.

23. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Oh, get real. He has 400 wins and a 7 year contract extension. What possible longstanding repercussions could there be?

goaleemama repped this.
  24. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    One thing I notice from this class is the recruiting of some actual defenders, not converted forwards. It gives me hope that there is a good plan in the works.

25. Metline

Metline New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Making it to the round of sixteen (and leaving with a tie against a top 3 team) is not exactly "nothing". I suspect there are coaches out there who would saw off their own left arms for that level of "mediocrity".

I don't even know the guy, but seeing him around for the past few years I get the impression that he handles himself professionally most of the time. Friends of ours who know him well say that he is a great guy. My own thought on the matter is that the comments were meant to make SC look like they made a great move. Besides, when I compare his comments to the ones Dorrance made about Stanford a few years ago, I feel I can give Smith a pass. Remember Dorrance scoffing at the Stanford sculpture garden? Now THAT was unbelievable...