San Jose Earthquakes Stadium - Building it Now!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. master_klon

master_klon New Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Auckland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    My two cents:
    • The seating at the end, where the ultras are standing, better just be one tier. Didn't see it in the latest render which is worrying. Interaction between and after the game is necessary, and the single wall of supporters (especially if they are all singing, not to mention some great tifo opportunity) will be intimidating.
    • I hope that there is no advertising between the top tier and lower tier, keep it just to the advertising boards at pitch level. Just a personal opinion.
    Fine if they want it the stadium to be low-cost, but they walk a fine line. Not sure what your owners are like, but in soccer(football) the supporters are number 1, the club is not a business.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Publicly, perhaps.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are those concourse stairs that lead up into walls a tribute to San José's own Winchester Mystery House? :D

-G

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    The San Jose Earthquakes team has sold all 12 luxury suites at its planned, new stadium. (San Jose Earthquakes)

-G

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...and the business is not the club. This we know for sure as there have been several businesses but just one club.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really no. Who would want to walk up all those stairs in back up to the top of the stadium and then back down the grandstand to go to get to your seat, go to the bathroom, get beer, etc... Makes much more sense the way they have it. Not to mention to cost of having to either build walkways or stairs up to those upper entrances. The only other alternative would be a whole second elevated concourse which kinda defeats the purpose of the ground level concourse and adds a ton to the price of the stadium, which is why they went with a ground level concourse to begin with.

As for the overall design separating the haves and have nots, welcome to modern sports. All stadiums built in the last 30 years do that whether intentional or not. In this case however it was also out of necessity if they wanted the concourse to have any view at all of the field. It was either that or a concourse like Toronto has where you can't see the field from any portion of it. Besides it looks like they've cantilevered the upper deck closer to the field in the most recent renderings meaning that while the "peasants" will be higher, they'll also be closer.

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, and let them eat cake! (And drink beer).

8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People in the more expensive rows you have now freed of access openings are not going to climb up those 20 or so rows to the "new and improved" access openings, then back down on the inside to "See a man about a horse" or get a couple more beers, or dogs, or (God willing, two or three Rubio's Fish Tacos), and climb back up the stairs to get to the openings and then back down the stairs to their seats.

It won't work.

It's nice. Not a dumb and idea as building a stadium in SF somewhere, but not practical.

9. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paraphrasing Mr. Crane "Let the unfortunates rail, the rest will eat shrimp cocktail, drink Stella, and bitch about another skyed shot from Rams"

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, that won't work for emergency egress.

11. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Based on the picture of the below, it looks like the patio seats are on either sideline near the open-end:

[​IMG]

If you look at pages 6-7 of the club seat brochure, the club seats near the open end of the stadium end at about the top of the penalty box. The patio suites begin there, just as the above picture shows.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually if I'm reading the brochure correctly the "patio suites" are above all the club seats flanking the luxury boxes on both the open and closed ends of the stadium. Meaning the stadium from north open corner of the horseshoe to south open corner will be club seats/patio suites, luxury boxes, club seats/patio suites on the north sideline. Closed end supporters sections. And club seats/patio suites, luxury boxes, club seats/patio suites on the south sideline. With the bar/grass terraces/scoreboard being in the open end. Basically rich people, really rich people/corporations, supporters and alcohol enthusiasts (aka drunks) down low. Everyone else in the main upper level.

13. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries about the drunks falling off the upper deck then. ;)

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The grassy knoll below the scoreboard bar is supposed to be open to everyone with a ticket in any part of the stadium, so, regardless of your game ticket price or season ticketholder status, if you want a close up view down low you can get one -- much as you currently can along the north endzone fence at Buck Shaw.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I covered said people under the catchall "alcohol enthusiasts".

16. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County

QuietType repped this.
  17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supporters sit on their hand? And drunks sit on their hands? Since when? Also since when did people like TyfaneeSue who was interested in the club seats sit on their hands? You really need to get over this negative Nancy routine man. It's older than Goodsport claims he is...

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These illustrations are totally unrealistic. They don't look like San Jose fans. Everyone's too slender.

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I see some fans with bad posture, and no one is wearing EQ gear. What team is that guy on the left supporting? Argentina? Nope, too dark. I mean, seriously.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You know trying to combat obesity.....

22. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't see any pictures of fatso me in there, either. At least I'd have a Quakes shirt on. :devilish:

23. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Swing...and a miss. Re-read my post, you missed my point entirely.;)

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I got it perfectly, you obviously didn't understand my response. You're complaining about the rich folks sitting close to the field and being the ones on TV, implying that they're not the kind of folks who should be on TV for some reason when I clearly pointed out that the majority of the people who are sitting in those lines of sight will not be the "sit on their hands" types you claim they'd be. The folks in the luxury suites maybe, but both ends and the clubs seats will be filled with fans. So I fail to see why you see a problem.

sjsuvc2 repped this.
  25. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really think that As68? The club seats will have lots of devoted Quakes fans, but you must concede that lots of those seats Are going to be company bought giveaway tickets filled by non fans there for a night out rather than a scarf-wearing fanatic. Sadly, we will see lots of uninterested people and probably empty seats DURING the game, because lots of those people would rather hang out in a lounge or in the concourse rather than watch and cheer.

ant0n and Beerking repped this.