San Jose Earthquakes Stadium - Building it Now!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does anyone mind if I complain? Ok, good.

Here's my gripe.

When we got our team back, I signed up right away for season tickets. Somehow all the west midfield tickets were gone, so we ended up in 112. The sightlines were not the greatest and they cost as much as 115/116, but we could not get moved to those more desirable sections (I tried for a few years) because I wanted four tickets. Is it somewhat ironic that the more tickets you buy, the worse your chances to get the choice midfield seats?

After a couple of years in 112, we spent a year in D -- hated it -- then last year we switched to the east side, 103, great seats, great neighbors, cost less than premier midfield too. But that move puts us at the bottom of the STH food chain for seating at the new stadium. We may not be able to get a chance at those red or blue seats.

I realize that there are many people in the world dealing with tougher issues, but at the moment I am finding this one particularly annoying.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does that put you at the bottom of the food chain? The team to my knowledge has been treating all season ticket holders as cumulative as long as you've maintained tickets all the years. You didn't get reset every time you jumped to new seats.

3. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Can anyone tell where the Patio suties are located. It looks to me like the club seats take up all the sideline areas that weren't claimed by the original luxury boxes.

4. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    • Current Earthquakes Season Ticket Holders in NetSuite VIP On-Field Seats, Corona Cove or Premier Midfield
      • You will have first priority to select Club Seats in the new stadium. We will be sending out your designated time slot to pick your seats along with a packet of information to further explain the process. You do not need to do anything else to qualify.
    • All other Earthquakes Season Ticket Holders
      • If you are interested in Club Seats, please complete our online form. We will contact you within three business days to confirm that you have been added to our waitlist and to further explain the process.
    Am I wrong? As I read this, if you are not VIP/onfield/Corona/PM, you will be added to the waitlist. And if any seats are available, they will be "one in section f1, and one in section f10, and then a few rows back of that..."
    I don't have bigger problems in my life at the moment, for which I am honestly grateful, but am complaining like the curmudgeon I am.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you're right you'll be wait-listed. But what they're doing makes sense since the Club Suites would be a logical transition seating area from where those folks are now (Corona Cove, Premier Midfield and VIP On Field) from the old stadium to the new. Can't really fault them for doing it. Doing anything else wouldn't make sense and would be unfair to the folks who paid to be in those more expensive seats. I mean the VIP on field folks area actually downgrading in some respects if you want to look at it another way since they'll be going from right behind the adboards on the field up to an actual grandstand.

6. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how I read it, and it doesn't bother me one bit. I'd rather sit in the regular seats with the higher vantage point and the non-stiff fans.

bri637 repped this.
  7. bri637

bri637 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    San Bruno, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here, we sit in the premier midfield section, and those are expensive enough, I wouldn't mind sitting higher and actually see play in the corners.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, I agree, it makes sense, and you can't slight the people who've been sitting in those sections for years. But I was willing to pay to sit in those midfield seats from the beginning, except they were never available.

At this point, I'm just hoping that there will be some decent midfield seats available in larger quantities, like four.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure you'll get your wish. Remember, every one of the Quakes season ticket holders will get prime seats long before the general public does. I mean the Quakes can't have more than 4,000 season tickets or so right? The new stadium will seat that 4 1/2 times over.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Considering that the stadium is projected for 18k people and that existing season ticketholders are said to be roughly a quarter of that, of which a measurable percentage are supporters who will choose to be in the endzone, and another group of 500 or so will opt for club seats, I would say the opportunity for an existing season ticketholder to obtain decent (albeit not necessarily club) seats around midfield is pretty good.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You beat me to the punch. :)

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Awww, thank you guys, I feel better. Now I am free to start fretting about the Guatemala game.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet he begins all his bargaining that way.

14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    The haves and the have-nots. You gotta keep 'em separated....

QuietType repped this.
  15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn right. That's how you get rich people to buy expensive seats, you give them the ability to be separated from the riff raff. Politically correct, probably not, but fact of life, yes. And if it means club seats get sold who cares.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, the massive improvements that were eventually added may very well not have been of his doing or even of his intention. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But 'tis nought but another statement unverifiable.

18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the endline seating wasn't going to be tiered like the sidelines? Ultras/Casbah, wasn't this promised to you by Kaval? I thought it would be seating all the way down to the pitch, not a lower and upper section like the sidelines have. :confused: If this is the design, what a big mistake. Would you guys be happy in the "upper deck"??

I've had my criticisms of this concept since first seeing it and I still have them:

First - the blatant separation of the haves/have nots is almost offensive, and ugly. You have all of the rich down along the pitch in reserved and "VIP" luxury booths and seats, and then the everyone else (or poor people, or rabble, if you will) sectioned off into the upper deck, farther away from the game. It seems they're catering specifically to the rich, and corporate money interests, and the average, actual fans can fend for themselves in the area for commoners. It's almost disgusting. There are always better seats and suites and reserved sections, but this design really creates an air of separation between those in attendance. The terrible thing is, the suites and VIP areas will be filled usually with people who aren't there so much for the team as they are for the experience or because their company or someone they know got them tickets. I can already picture some well-to-do guests who got company seats sitting there eating VIP food and drinks sitting back in the table/lounge area away from the game, while the game is going on, not even concerned with what is going on. What will that do for fan support/involvement? How will the players take that? How will that look on TV?

Second - the stairway entrances at the bottom of the stands which take up an unnecessary amount of space and push more people up farther away from the game. PPL Park is a perfect example of this. You have these big holes where you should have as much seating as close to the pitch as possible. Then you have people who are going to be walking in and out, up and down there all game long. I wish they'd put those entrances in the middle or top of the stands. It's simply inefficient.

It's as if they took the goal of putting as many people as close to the pitch as possible, and did the exact opposite.

Yes this is an amazing stadium and will be brand new and leaps and bounds beyond Buck Shaw. But I'm wondering after the newness wears off, judging the layout of this design objectively, how many people will actually like the design, or if they will see the lack of fans close to the pitch and the top/bottom separation as not a plus.. :unsure:

Beerking repped this.
  19. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less like this:
    [​IMG]
    More like this:
    [​IMG]
    Yes?

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Oh there will be people as close to the pitch as possible. It just won't be you and I. Seriously though I don't mind the design. The lower tier is very short and the second tier will still be close (maybe even closer than some "row 1's" in other stadiums).

QuietType repped this.
  21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh they'll start paying attention the first time a ball gets cleared right into their meeting :eek:

22. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. :rolleyes:

You're so funny with this one.

I see your point, but this will only work if all the bathrooms and concessions are all up there with your "shifted entrances".

Basically you just double the cost by forcing them to build two levels rather then one.

23. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to put bathrooms/concessions up top - what for? Fine where they're at. No need for two levels - other than the second level that everyone is already sitting in! I'm aware that building some sort of stairs up higher to have people descend would increase the cost - but that would be a cost well worth it for the long term. Plus, you have more seats closer to the pitch, thus generating more revenue because you can charge more for the seats which are closer. Having the entrances at the bottom pushes literally hundreds of seats unnecessarily up and away from the pitch. Again, it comes back to putting as many people as close to the pitch as possible. This design flies in the face of that concept.

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there was any conscious attempt to separate the haves from the haves not with this stadium design. The suites/club seat areas are all at field level because it is a lot cheaper to build them there. They are saving many millions building that stuff on the ground, as opposed to up in the stands.
    I heard the Ultra's section will go down to the field. In the diagram showing club seat locations I didn't see any of them behind the goal, did someone see something the different? Don't go off the renderings, I don't think they have been updated.

25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though I think you make sense as far as getting more seats closer to the field, it's costs again my friend. No matter what you design you have stairs going up the stands. So, do you build 20' of stairs to connect to them, or do construct entire walkways that work there way to the top of the stadium to have access from there? Again significantly cheaper to have the access points down low.
    Having the luxury suites, club seats, and access points as low as possible is why we have a $60 million dollar stadium and not a $80-$90 million dollar stadium.